Genius battery pack??

MarkLeeds

1 W
Hi All,

Just discovered this on youtube which I was so impressed with it.

https://youtu.be/LZSCyPIQY78

I just love the simplicity of the build. I was thinking of using pvc pipe with a couple of pipe ends. Maybe some thicker foil or foil substitute. Maybe some poron foam. Thought I might end up with an quick to build, compact, solid battery back. Can't think of any evidence to suggest it wouldn't work, certainly a food for thought? What do you guys think?

Yes, its simple, but dangerous ! :shock:
His foil/foam pads on the +ve cell ends can easily short to the can casing if there is any small damage or displacement of the insulating wrap on the top of any one of those cans.
That would initiate a major event !
The +ve cell ends need extra insulation at the very minimum.

The insulation point seems very valid. I've been reading a great thread started by by snarf (probably should have tagged this on the end) on solderless packs and just thought maybe it would be possible to combine the ideas. I like the idea of solderless and putting the batteries in a pvc tube. I was thinking it a tube would be easy to attach to the downtube of a bike. With a couple of pipe ends and a good quality pvc pipe it would be easy to waterproof, pretty robust, stealthy, dense, easy to hide wiring, easy to attach to many different types of bike. Could all be clamped together with some nylon rod running the length of the tube to maintain pressure.

Maybe a some circular copper plate with dimples, springs or insulation stickers might solve the insulation problem? Or maybe mount the parallels end to end, in his example the tube would be 15 cells highs and 2 cells wide. Must be solvable somehow?

If you use the dimpled copper contact plate, you then need to ensure the cells are alligned ( and stay alligned) with those dimples. So it starts to get a little more complicated .
Most of the ideas you mention...long tubes , single stacking cells etc.... Have been tried and posted on here previously.

The parallels end to end sounds like it might be easier to stop the cells shorting out against each other. As you say it would be necessary to stop the cells rotating/ shifting in the tube when you go over a bump,

I'm planning a 3000w cyclone mid drive build with a 72v battery with around 100 cells on a specialized enduro comp - for off road use. Have spent many hours on this site, but haven't stumbled on a high power tube battery yet - will keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Back