GIO PB 710 - help with basic wiring

kermeifw

1 mW
I haven't posted her in a long time. You guys were very helpful the last time I had problems and I am hoping you can help me again. I have an old Gio PB 710 scooter. It has stopped working. I am pretty sure it's a short or bad wire somewhere. Previous owner had done a lot of rewiring and not a great job at it. I bought a testing tool to test the controller, throttle and motor. I am able to test the motor and that works. I am able to test the throttle sort of, there are 4 wire that connect to the controller for throttle, I know it only needs 3 and I tested those 3...they work...I can't get the controller to work with the testing tool. The 5volt light is lit so I know that works but when I plug the throttle into the controller, battery into controller and controller into testing tool...nothing... I have 2 controllers and both same...I am pretty sure they both aren't broken. What I am wondering is what is the 4th wire for in the throttle connection. I really don't want to get down and start following wires under the scooter as like I said the last owner did a crappy job with them and it will be a real pain to do. I am hoping you guys can save me the headache of doing that. Does anyone have wiring diagrams for Gio PB 710 or might know what all the wires are for in the controller for it? Thanks for your help in advance...

kermeifw said:
I have an old Gio PB 710 scooter. It has stopped working.

Some information that would be useful to narrow down the possible range of problems:

What *exactly* does "stopped working" mean?

What did it do before it stopped working?

What all was done with it or to it between the time it was working and the time it was not?

Before it stopped working, was it operating normally, or were there any abnormalities at all, anything unusual?

Previous owner had done a lot of rewiring and not a great job at it.
Then it is a fair bet that there is a wiring problem. The most common is not a short (which usually results in smoke, fire, or other very obvious giant flashing arrows pointing to the location of the short ;) ), but a poor or intermittent connection, most often at a connector or wire splice.

What I am wondering is what is the 4th wire for in the throttle connection.
If you attach a picture of the throttle itself, it might help resolve that. If the throttle has any mechanisms or devices on it other than just the throttle, then the last wire is probably for that. The most common are a voltmeter or battery gauge, next most common is a keyswitch or power button. Other less common things are an internal enable / lockout switch, that only engages when the throttle is turned past a certain point, so that the system is disabled except when someone is actively trying to turn the throttle, to prevent accidental goosing of throttle with no rider on it. Could be other things.

I really don't want to get down and start following wires under the scooter as like I said the last owner did a crappy job with them and it will be a real pain to do.
FWIW, if the wiring is crappy, it is a REALLY good idea to redo it, to prevent future problems that could either strand you somewhere or worse could cause a fire, if the wiring is that bad. Redoing it would be best done by first drawing up a diagram of how it is presently all connected (so that you know what's what when you're done, if no other reason).

It is likely that if it has been rewired it will no longer match the original diagram anyway, so that might not be any use.

If you want to try to match them to your rewired unit, there are a number of results here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gio+pb710+wiring+diagram&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?&tbm=isch&q=gio+pb+710+wiring+diagram
but I have no way of knowing if they match.

There's also this but I haven't read it so don't know if it matches or has a diagram
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/818670/Gio-Electric-Scooter.html

thanks for your help, I don't post a lot on message boards so if my posts leave important information out or seems silly please forgive me. Nothing works on the scooter. No horn, no lights, no motor, nothing. It worked fine until my daughter left it out in a wind storm and it fell over. It fell over again and started working for a short time and then stopped. I agree that it is probably a broken wire somewhere. It is in my father's basement right now so I can't add a photo today but will as soon as I can. The throttle itself has 3 wires. There is no 3 wire plug in the controller. There is a 4 wire plug. We tested that plug with a tester and it is the throttle. What I am wondering is what is the extra wire for in that plug. I contacted the Gio website and they sent me a wiring diagram for the controller but it still does not explain the 4th wire. I was just hoping there as another Gio PB710 owner out there that knows more about the controller than I do.

Thanks for the URL's to check out but I had already did those searches. Nothing on either of those google searches are for the GIO PB710 controller...I can't find a photo or info on it's controller anywhere. Everything I find has 3 wires in the controller for throttle...

kermeifw said:
Nothing works on the scooter. No horn, no lights, no motor, nothing. It worked fine until my daughter left it out in a wind storm and it fell over. It fell over again and started working for a short time and then stopped.

The most likely thing is that a battery interconnect is loose. If it uses several SLA in series, those blade plugs (if they're not bolted together instead) are easy to get loose, and cause all sorts of havoc. :(

The next most likley depends on if it has a keyswitch, and where that is located, vs how it fell over each time. It too could use blade plugs on teh back, and they could be loose. Or a wire could be broken off at the back of a connnector, and is "floating" inside it, sometimes touching and sometimes not.

Could also be a loose fuseholder, if it's an inline tubular fuse, for instance.

However, the broken wire or loose connector, etc., could be anywhere within the primary power distribution from the battery to the rest of the scooter. It is unlikely to be a controller or throttle / etc issue, because you don't have any lights either. Most of the time the lights on these things are powered by a DC-DC that converts battery voltage into lighting voltage (usualy "12v" (typically actually closer to 14-15v))

The throttle itself has 3 wires. There is no 3 wire plug in the controller. There is a 4 wire plug. We tested that plug with a tester and it is the throttle. What I am wondering is what is the extra wire for in that plug. I contacted the Gio website and they sent me a wiring diagram for the controller but it still does not explain the 4th wire. I was just hoping there as another Gio PB710 owner out there that knows more about the controller than I do.

Thanks for the URL's to check out but I had already did those searches. Nothing on either of those google searches are for the GIO PB710 controller...I can't find a photo or info on it's controller anywhere. Everything I find has 3 wires in the controller for throttle...
The most likely thing in this case is that it isn't the original controller and/or throttle, if the wiring doesn't match the GIO-provided schematic. But they wouldn't be the only company to make multiple versions of a thing that have different parts and wiring, but only have one manual/schematic/etc that's available, that only matches one of the possibly several actual versions of thing. :(

If its' useful, there are a number of posts and threads discussing problems with various PB710s:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=pb710&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
and others likely exist under PB 710 or PB-710 (I didn't search on those), but I have not re-read any of those, and don't know if the have the info you need.

Back