Where to plug battery charger on new controller?

yaniBG900

10 mW
Hello. I am new here. I recently got a small electric scooter that looks like a Lime one and I understood that I have to buy a new battery and a controller to it. Okay, I found them, but there is something that concerns me. I connect the positive and negative wires to the battery, but how do I charge it? There is a circle connector on the front of the scooter that has two wires on the back but how do I attach them to the controller? Also, does anyone know where exactly to put the throttle, that is near the display, to the controller? I am providing images and a link to the controller. Any help will be very appreciated. Battery has only one output or input that is XT60.
Amazon.de

Attachments

• 71b9JE8-18L._AC_SX522_.jpg
    71b9JE8-18L._AC_SX522_.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
Also you can reccomend me another controller that is better for beginners (haven't ordered one yet). All I want is to transform it to a personal one but do not know how to charge the battery. Here is another one Other controller

I connect the positive and negative wires to the battery, but how do I charge it? There is a circle connector on the front of the scooter that has two wires on the back but how do I attach them to the controller?
Sorry, I can't see the battery or any of the things you're describing. Did the battery not come with a charger?

The controller doesn't charge the battery; the charger that comes with the battery is used for that.

If it didn't come with one, then I'd recommend asking the seller for one that is specifically compatible with the battery you bought from them.

Without knowing exactly what parts you have on your scooter, and what their wiring is, we can't tell you how to connect them to new parts. At minimum you'll need to provide some clear well-lit pictures of what you already have. Once we can see those, we can ask for other info about specific things, and tell you specific tests to do with your multimeter to find out other things.

We'd also need complete info on your battery, if you want advice on it's compatiblity with what you have or need to get, etc.

The image you posted is of a controller that appears to have no throttle input connector. Presumably it's just a PAS-type unit, with the 1:1 assist meaning a cadence sensor connector. If you don't have pedals on the scooter, it is unlikely to work for your usage.

The first controller link you give requires you to use the display/throttle that comes with it; it wont' work with a regular throttle.

The second controller link says it has a plug for "speed throttle" that is probably a standard hall throttle input. If the one on your scooter is a standard hall throttle output, then they can be connected and work, otherwise you'll need to buy one that matches your controller.

Last edited:
The image you posted is of a controller that appears to have no throttle input connector. Presumably it's just a PAS-type unit, with the 1:1 assist meaning a cadence sensor connector. If you don't have pedals on the scooter, it is unlikely to work for your usage.
It looks like the image is of the same controller in the display/controller combo linked, so no PAS or throttle inputs to the controller. Looks like a second throttle is necessary to use the variable braking function.

. Looks like a second throttle is necessary to use the variable braking function.
If it has actual variable braking, then it probably uses one of the various analog-output ebrake levers, rather than a throttle. At least two are linked in my "how to make a variable regen brake lever" thread; I'm sure there's plenty of kinds out there nowadays.

Okay, I will give much more info later this day. If I make it like a video in YouTube and explain everything on my mind, will it be better?

Better if you post it here as text, with pictures of whatever is important; I'm not going to watch a video and dig out the bits of information from it, but I'll read a post. ;)

So, this is a Lime scooter (picture 1) that was abandoned in the river and I would like to try to restore it. Everything seems to work, except the battery and the controller (and the attached display to the controller, pic 2). So, what I want, is to buy another controller with lcd display (and ofc a battery) that will be able to connect to the battery, throttle (pic 3) and maybe front light (pic 4). I don't plan to use back red light, at least for now, but it will be good to have sth on the controller to be able to connect one in the future. The problem comes here. I see how to connect the battery to the controller, but don't seem to find how to connect the circle charger to the ESC. The plug is located in front of the scooter (pic 5) and inside there is a plus and minus cable (and also a very strange other one). There is a motor cable (pic 6) inside the scooter that I will surely use. The new battery has the same yellow XT60 connector like the previous one as seen in the picture (is 6Ah good?). The last picture 7 shows the cables from the wheel - left one is from the manual brake (idk why there is a cable for that) and the right one is for the throttle, that I will be happy to use. I hope that I said the direvtions of the cables correctly. If needed, I will check again. I have three more specific questions, but first I will appreciate very much if we sort out what controller do I need to make this scooter work again. Then I will ask the last questions. Thanks to everyone who tells me anything. I will try to respond to sb if he/she has questions so that this can be resolved faster.

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_194121.jpg
    IMG_20240417_194121.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240417_195018.jpg
    IMG_20240417_195018.jpg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240417_194218.jpg
    IMG_20240417_194218.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240417_194949.jpg
    IMG_20240417_194949.jpg
    968.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240417_194938.jpg
    IMG_20240417_194938.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240417_194059.jpg
    IMG_20240417_194059.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240417_194200.jpg
    IMG_20240417_194200.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 7
Of course, I am going to buy a separate charger for that battery, that match its specs. Just don't know where to plug this little circle port...

How did you test to ensure everything works?? Did you use another controller and battery to test it?
No. I am just starting this project but everything looks amazing for being in the river for some days and I hope it will work. Just have to find the right controller

I have three more specific questions, but first I will appreciate very much if we sort out what controller do I need to make this scooter work again. Then I will ask the last questions.

No. I am just starting this project but everything looks amazing for being in the river for some days and I hope it will work.
thanks. I’ll wait to see all of the questions.

I can’t recommend a controller with the information provided so far, but perhaps someone else can. I believe amberwolf responded to your battery question already, but you didn’t provide the info he requested.

Well, the main one is how to charge the battery
That's already answered here, as is the part about connecting chargers to controllers, etc.

Since we have no idea what battery you have, we can't help you with that any more directly, either.

To know what controller you need, we have to know what battery you have, to be sure you get a controller that will not damage it, and that will not be damaged by it.

To recommend a controller that will actually do the job you need it to do also requires knowing in detail what you want the scooter to do for you, what features you want from it, how much setup / DIY you are willing / able to do to make it work, and what your riding conditions / terrain (hills? slope?) / riding style / speed / wind / weight, etc are, so that we can find out how much power it will take to do what you want. Then you can check if the stuff you already have (battery, motor) can supply that power and use it without damage. Or you can go to ebikes.ca and use their motor simulator to guesstimate this. It would also help you estimate your range for a given battery, or get a battery that may give you the range you want.

Links to specific items you've purchased or are considering are the best way of showing us what they are, so we don't have to ask a bunch of questions about each thing to find out all the info about them.

We also need to know what kind of motor you have, to find a controller that can run it. Is it sensored? Sensorless? hubmotor? chaindrive/beltdrive/etc? Standard 3-phase BLDC, or some custom design requiring OEM controller? Etc. (if you don't know / can't tell what you have, you may be able to look up other people's info about your specific model and brand of scooter to see what they found that theirs had).

Since you don't know why it was in the river, or what happened to it before it ended up there, or what may have happened to it while in there, I'd recommend that you pull all the wiring harness out to check it for damage, and so you can draw yourself a diagram of what connectors/cables go where and to what devices. Document your process as you go so you can reverse it when done and put it back together.

It is highly likely that the entire wiring is customized to the specific parts used on those scooters, and you probably can't just plug in new parts to it and have them work. You can try that if you like, but you may damage parts by doing so, and have to buy all new stuff all over again to replace them, especially since damaged parts can damage new parts.

Do the wheels spin normally, with no resistance at all? If there is resistance there may be corrosion, or if you have a hubmotor wheel (the rear wheel may be one, or it may just be a drum brake wheel) it may have shorts between windings or phases, etc.

The more info you provide, and the more complete it is, the better we can help you. If you dribble info and whatnot out to us, then our responses will only be valid for the info we got before we answered. New info you give us may make all previous answers useless.

(for instance, knowing that this was in "the river" means everything on it needs to be checked and tested before you connect anything electrical to it, and before you connect a battery, etc, which would have been recommended already if you'd told us)

Okay. That is why I told you I am new to this project and I am just trying to learn new things. I will provide more info later. But a BIG thanks for giving me time.

Just remember that we can't know anything about what you have except what you tell or show us, or link us to. ;)

We can guess based on what we've seen before, but to give you good answers for safe results, definite info from you is better.

Cable The wheels are spinning very good and the brake seems to work amazing, even though it has a little corrosion. The scooter was thrown in the river bank, but near the actual river (in some plants) which meant that it was only wetted by rain. My scooter has a front brushless BLDC motor, that is (I think) 250W and runs on 36V. At least, that is what the battery is. I will send a link to the battery in site in my language, but the words for watt and volts and amps can be understood in English. The motor has a 9 pin connector. I plan to use an extension cord, that will help me connect the motor to the new controllers in Amazon. (The link got somehow at the beginning of the message).

The first link you give for "Cable" is not a cable, it is a controller with display/throttle unit. Based on the battery info below, it is twice as powerful as your battery can handle. See notes below the battery stuff for more on that.

A quick search for "7A scooter controller" actually pops up a Lime controller
and ebay shows this as related
but I don't know if it is compatible with the controller (or if either are the right one for your specific scooter).

Another link that search finds is this kit
with display and controller; it's a KT brand so there's a lot of info out there on how to set them up for various systems. It's connectors (and pretty much any other controller out there other than the original) are different than your scooter's, so you'll have to change them out for matching ones (like by cutting off the ones from your existing controller and reusing them) or change the ones on your scooter to match it's controllers, or just splice the wires together. (which ever way you do it, you're going to have to figure out which wires are which on your scooter by tracing them all out and drawing up a diagram for each wire in each cable). Any part the kit comes with you wont' need to use from your scooter, so for instance the "go button" will not be needed, instead you use the throttle from the kit. Etc.

The second link you give for battery site has the specs quoted below, which don't say how much current it can actually supply for either peak or continuous use. That means that there's no guarantee it will work on any specific controller or for any particular usage.

It does say it is "up to 250w" for motor power, which at 36v is 250 / 36 = 7A. The wording suggests a maximum, so whether it can do that for very long or not, I don't know. My guess is "probably", but you won't know until you test it and see what breaks at what current.

So whatever controller you get should have a current limit of maximum of 7A, preferably less. The one you linked as "Cable" is 13A on the label in one of the pictures and doesn't say what it is anywhere in the text of the page, so it's too powerful for the battery, and could damage it.

Those are just educated guesses, because neither one has complete specs, so we can't know what they'll really do.

Other notes:

The actual battery casing says max charging current of 10A, which is probably a terrible idea--it's almost certainly made of 18650 cells (the only cell info is "LG" which is a brand that makes all sorts of cells, and we don't know which ones it has so we don't know what they're capable of), and I am not aware of any of them that can charge that fast without getting unacceptably and unsafely hot, which could start a fire.

Under charging it says "loading time" is 2h, so a 3A charger is what you'd use for that, for a 6Ah pack.

As a 6Ah, it can't be 1p as there's no cells of the type it probably has in it with that capacity, so it has to be at least 10s2p or 20 cells. That's only important to guess what the pack is capable of; the 3A charging rate sounds reasonable, as does the 7A output, for a 2p 18650 pack for real LG cells of most (maybe any) model.

It doesn't say it has a BMS, so the cells are possibly completely unprotected, so it would be entirely up to you to monitor the individual cells during use, and charging to make sure none of them ever has a problem and overcharges or overdischarges (both of which can damage a cell, which can lead to a fire).

Battery Li-ion for Hoverboard Electric Scooter 36v 6000mAh Suitcase 20 Cells Black

Li-ion battery compatible with all kinds of 6,8,10 inch hoverboards
Capacity: 6Ah;
Voltage: 36V;
Cell technology: Li-Ion;
Cell Manufacturer: LG;
Size: 14 x 8 x 6 cm;
Weight: 1000g.;
Output: XT60-F;
Body type: ABS;
Motor power up to: up to 250 W

Specifications​

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS