GNG Ultralight RC Mid Drive with Bluetooth control

Kepler said:
I am really hoping this system lives up to expectations. Visually it looks great but noise levels are going to be the big deciding factor for me if it will end up making it one of my projects. I can see it being a ripper of drive on a nice mountain bike setup. I have used a BBS drive on a mountain bike for years now and it has been great. However, it pushing close to 15,000 km and is getting close to retirement. This may well be the perfect replacement. How good would it be on a nice carbon free ride mountain bike with small capacity lightweight 18650 pack.

Agree with spinning magnets that a 63mm motor would be a better option. Halls and a Vesc on FOC could be just the ticket.
Go for it man. We all counting on you.
I purchased and submitted extensive report on 2016 GNG EXTREME BELT MID DRIVE so, I did my share and I'm done.

Postby teslanv » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 am

jk1 wrote:
Not sure what the fuss is about this kit ? it seems to be only slightly lighter then the cyclone24v 350w motor but also more expensive and risk of reliability ?

IMHO, the GNG Ultralight kit appears to be much more compact and clean-looking than the Cyclone mini.

I like that I can use a two-speed 104BCD chainring on the GNG motor. I have a 36T and 24T chainring set that should give plenty of gearing range.

The GNG is sticking out a lot more as its up downtube due to that huge bevel drive gearbox , whereas the cyclone runs on the same axis between the cranks.

i think a lot of people are comparing it to the cyclone mini which is the larger cyclone not the smallest one they have, if you look in this link below photo half way down the page u see the 250-350w cyclone, that is more compact and cleaning looking as it has the internal controller and planetary gearbox. All the cyclone comes with 2 speeds up the front as well.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13423&start=25

i think the main issue is the motor is so small it has no thermal mass, you would rather put all your weight in the motor and as less as possible in the gearbox ! the 63mm would be better but as a double wammie it has no temperature protection features? so their is a good chance you will blow up this tiny motor. The cyclone is a bigger motor and smaller gearbox and has the temp switch so its a lot less likely to overheat.

I just noticed another major downside vs the cyclone 350w which the closest in weight and compactness, for those hopeing for throttle control that is not an option since their is NO freewheel in the cranks ! it can only be run like it is pass control.... unlike the cyclone which can be run PAS or throttle control as their is a crank freewheel. so that 2 pounds less vs the cyclone comes with a few major downsides like others have mentioned above.

amigafan2003 said:
Santa'sLittleHelper said:
Storapa said:
The kit arrived today. Pics below. The weight as pictured (without battery etc) was 2050g.

Thanks, so about 4.52lbs. I don't see a freewheel in the mix. What kind of resistance do you feel when turning the crank without power?

From the GNG website

The freewheeling clutch system is integrated in the gear box.

Thanks, didn't catch that...

So motors are in the hands of users. Where are the photos of the inside of the freewheeling gearbox??? :mrgreen:

[/quote]Where are the photos of the inside of the freewheeling gearbox??? :mrgreen:[/quote]
We are all waiting for that grand finale unveiling, dude. Hopefully sooner than later.
C'mon blokes we can't speculate forever.

Just out of Curiosity I went to the website to see what the cost was/is , What is/was the Cost including shipping ,
( I am waiting for a more powerful version of a RC Motor/Reduction Mid - Drive , from one of the Members / developers here on E.S. )

And they say they are out of stock .

GNG 2017 PREMIUM
24V 250-300W
1.55KG ULTRALIGHT MID DRIVE ELECTRIC BIKE KIT
BLUETOOTH CONTROL
OUT OF STOCK: Due to the complicated manufacturing and testing procedure, this kit is currently out of stock.

http://www.gngebike.com/ultralight-300w-kit

ScooterMan101 said:
Well that is an interesting development. They have been "Assembling" my motor kit for almost three weeks, now, and most recently informed me that they were waiting for a part to arrive.

FYI, I paid $548 USD including shipping to USA for my kit.

teslanv said:
ScooterMan101 said:
Well that is an interesting development. They have been "Assembling" my motor kit for almost three weeks, now, and most recently informed me that they were waiting for a part to arrive.

FYI, I paid $548 USD including shipping to USA for my kit.
Obviously they trying to do perfect assembly job. :roll:

ScooterMan101 said:
OUT OF STOCK: Due to the complicated manufacturing and testing procedure, this kit is currently out of stock.

Maybe they are still "manufacturing" and "testing" the "prototype" product? :lol: They certainly wouldn't be the first to sell something they don't have or have finished and ready for sale. I got some stock cert's in my pill that turns water into gasoline and it works great! Any takers? :twisted:

Santa'sLittleHelper said:
ScooterMan101 said:

Maybe they are still "manufacturing" and "testing" the "prototype" product? :lol: They certainly wouldn't be the first to sell something they don't have or have finished and ready for sale. I got some stock cert's in my pill that turns water into gasoline and it works great! Any takers? :twisted:
I'll take 100 please. :D

Interesting developments.

My mate had an issue with his kit late last week. The parts were fitted to a bike, he took it down the road (less than half a mile) and headed back to the workshop. At some point the larger of the two LH side gears failed as per the photo. He contacted GNG and they are sending a new gear out. Hopefully this will be modified to prevent this sort of failure occurring again.

Storapa said:

My mate had an issue with his kit late last week. The parts were fitted to a bike, he took it down the road (less than half a mile) and headed back to the workshop. At some point the larger of the two LH side gears failed as per the photo. He contacted GNG and they are sending a new gear out. Hopefully this will be modified to prevent this sort of failure occurring again.

:shock:

I sure hope that's the part they are "waiting for" for my kit. Preferably a much stronger alloy.

Storpa, Would you guess that part is steel or something else?

Ecyclist said:
ions82 said:
Didn't the info from GNG say that the prototypes have been running for over 10,000 KM?
"You Cannot Be Serious: :D John McEnroe :D
Next time you will read that that unit was used on expedition to the Sun, came back to Earth and looks like new. :D :D :D
I would be amazed if GNG ran it for 1000 km.
Do you know that in China they make fake eggs? I'm not talking the type you use for Eastern egg hunt but for consumption. :twisted:
I'm sorry to find out that this kit is worse than I anticipated.

Storapa said:

While waiting for the parts,.. would be a chance to thake the gearbox apart and look inside :D :D :wink: :wink:

teslanv said:
Storapa said:

:shock:

I sure hope that's the part they are "waiting for" for my kit. Preferably a much stronger alloy.

Storpa, Would you guess that part is steel or something else?

Hi,

The part is steel. I think the issue is that they hardened the teeth and pretty much the rest of the component. They might have benefitted from a small rad in the corner, where it popped off.

The whole thing is very nicely made / machined. When these little issues are sorted out, I think it will be a great conversion.

notger said:
Storapa said:

While waiting for the parts,.. would be a chance to thake the gearbox apart and look inside :D :D :wink: :wink:

I hear you on that one, but it's not mine. My mate is hopefully going to open it up shortly. As soon as he does, I'll head over with a camera............

Any chance you made videos? I'm really curious what this sounds like.

robocam said:
Any chance you made videos? I'm really curious what this sounds like.

No videos yet. As soon as it's running again I'll see what I can do.........

Well, GNG emailed me and offered to refund my purchase, while they work out some issues with the kit.
I took them up on the offer.

teslanv said:
Well, GNG emailed me and offered to refund my purchase, while they work out some issues with the kit.
I took them up on the offer.

Hi Teslanv,

I'll keep you posted as to how the my mate's kit performs. As I mentioned before, it is very nicely made. When the issues have been worked out, I think it will be ideal for a lightweight conversion.

The parts to repair my mate's mid drive arrived a couple of days ago.

The bike is back together and I had the chance to ride it very briefly yesterday evening. At the lower power settings, the system is reasonably quiet. At the highest power setting and speed, it's fairly noisy.

First impression is that the kit is nicely made and performs well. Hopefully it will last. My mate will be putting a fair few miles on it over the next few weeks. I will report back.

My mate opened up the motor at the weekend. So, some pictures of the interior. Everything is very nicely made.

WP_20170429_13_49_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20170429_13_49_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20170429_13_50_08_Pro.jpg

I had a chance to ride the bike again. It's a very nice little motor and has a fair bit of power. It will be interesting to see how well it lasts.

Thanks for showing us the insides. Maybe you can show us a video of the bike in action? =)

Storapa said:
...I had a chance to ride the bike again. It's a very nice little motor and has a fair bit of power. It will be interesting to see how well it lasts.

robocam said:
Thanks for showing us the insides. Maybe you can show us a video of the bike in action? =)

I'll have a word with my mate. He's developing a kit for a certain machine and wants to keep it under wraps until it is finished.

Ah, I see. Maybe a GoPro on the helmet so the bike wouldn't be seen? I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

Storapa said:
I'll have a word with my mate. He's developing a kit for a certain machine and wants to keep it under wraps until it is finished.

Back