Greentime controllers

dont try that 3 speed, problem is not smooth like 100% setting. when is switch to speed 2 or 3, it is vv rough in control.

Guys, here my review of the greentime controller after 1 month operation.
I'm very happy with the controller. Puts out the rated 45 amps, doesn't overheat and all the extra bits work well. I'm not sure about the reliability yet (only 1 month operation) but on current experiance I would defintly recommend. This is the version that I bought

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/205251041.html

I didn't upgrade to 4110 fets as 45 amps is low enuogh for the 4410 fets. I have given it a good thrashing going full throlle at ~ 3000W for 5 -10 minutes and it doesn't get very hot - my motor heats up faster.The physical size of the controller is around 8" by 4" like most others, definatly not a large size.

I'm running 19s lipos (~ 75V), but have a vaiable voltage LVC swith with settings of 62.7v and 42.9v for either 19s or 13s Lipo

I'm using Regen and it works well, the CA is showing about 12amps max regen on hard braking giving an average trip regen of ~ 8 - 10%.

I bought a CA for xmas and the basic functions work great with this controller (although I havn't completed an accutrate calibration yet, I need to borrow a amp meter wich can take > 10amps) I havn't tried the speed and current limiting fuctions yet.

It took about 3 weeks for the controller to arrive once purchased. Leo was good to deal with.

I have just purcahsed the 24 4110 Fet 80 amp version (last week) and awaiting delivery to drive my new crystalyte 4065.

Cheers
Matt

My personal favourite is the 18fet 4110 set at 60A, i think its one of the best designed greentime controllers

I like both. My problem with the 18's is no regen braking. The plug braking it has works if you only use it intermittently, but it turns all that braking force into heat in the motor and controller. I wish we could figure out how to make that regen instead of plug braking, because a pair of them run my big motor quite nicely pushing 100A through each. 15kw peak input into a high efficiency motor geared for 65mph top speed make for some real get up and go even with my 170-180kg all up load. My 65kg buddy begged and begged for a ride the other day, and though he never got to WOT and managed to stay in the saddle, he comes back with brown underwear saying I was irresponsible for letting him ride the beast. :lol: I told him wait till I finish modding my dual 24's and go to 150-200A peak...each :twisted:

I put a bug in Justin's ear the other day about adding anti-flip and wheelie control functions to the CA, and it just so happened he was already working to integrate and inclinometer for better pedal assist on hills. Plus he's already done a self balancing electric unicycle, so riding wheelies like a pro using a CA is a real possibility in 2013. 8) .

John

John in CR said:
I like both. My problem with the 18's is no regen braking. The plug braking it has works if you only use it intermittently, but it turns all that braking force into heat in the motor and controller. I wish we could figure out how to make that regen instead of plug braking, because a pair of them run my big motor quite nicely pushing 100A through each. 15kw peak input into a high efficiency motor geared for 65mph top speed make for some real get up and go even with my 170-180kg all up load. My 65kg buddy begged and begged for a ride the other day, and though he never got to WOT and managed to stay in the saddle, he comes back with brown underwear saying I was irresponsible for letting him ride the beast. :lol: I told him wait till I finish modding my dual 24's and go to 150-200A peak...each :twisted:

I put a bug in Justin's ear the other day about adding anti-flip and wheelie control functions to the CA, and it just so happened he was already working to integrate and inclinometer for better pedal assist on hills. Plus he's already done a self balancing electric unicycle, so riding wheelies like a pro using a CA is a real possibility in 2013. 8) .

John
a pair of them run your big motor? i thought you could only use 1 controller per motor.

That's the old tech motors everyone is still using. The motors I use have 6 phase wires and 8 hall sensor wires and require either the expensive factory 6 phase controllers, or a pair of 3 phase controllers and my wiring instructions. Once you experience the smooth and silent power of 6 phases you'll never go back to 3, at least not without a sine wave controller.

"Old Tech", I like it. Time you made your "new tech" public!

John, that bike sounds like a beast! Time for you to post up some photos/videos please! :D

Happy New Year y'all for tonight! Only 12 hours away for us down under....let's kick '12 to the sidelines (because it's been a shit of a year) and welcome '13 in...

John in CR said:
That's the old tech motors everyone is still using. The motors I use have 6 phase wires and 8 hall sensor wires and require either the expensive factory 6 phase controllers, or a pair of 3 phase controllers and my wiring instructions. Once you experience the smooth and silent power of 6 phases you'll never go back to 3, at least not without a sine wave controller.
ooh wow i gotta move up to motorcycle hubs. are the 93% efficient hubs 6 phase?

Spicerack said:
"Old Tech", I like it. Time you made your "new tech" public!

John, that bike sounds like a beast! Time for you to post up some photos/videos please! :D

Happy New Year y'all for tonight! Only 12 hours away for us down under....let's kick '12 to the sidelines (because it's been a shit of a year) and welcome '13 in...

I need to pull it off the bike and open up the big one for pics of its guts, and I've got the mid size on bike and running. I finally got a GoPro, but my computer can't handle the videos, so I have to learn all that. Justin is confident that the CA3 can fix my throttle response, so not only will you guys get flooded with videos of the fat guy embarrassing cars and motos, but also what it can do with a normal weight person.

2012 was a slow start, but you're right 2013 is gonna be big.

Happy early New Year !

John

ian.mich said:
ooh wow i gotta move up to motorcycle hubs. are the 93% efficient hubs 6 phase?

No, the little 2 speed is a 3 phase motor, but the 94.6% peak efficiency motor is a 6 phase. The high efficiency combined with the low total load compared to its design use on a 150kg scooter is what enables me to run it at such high power in bone stock form with no heat issues at all.

Stay warm up there and have a great New Year!

John

Hi guys,
I've got the 24fet (4110), 80A version for my xlyte 4065. I have only had it running for a couple days but and find the throttle responce to be very laggy. In particular when going between full throttle, to zero throttle than back to full throttle. On return to full throttle from zero there is a significant delay (a least a second) between throttle position and any increase in speed / amp draw. It's almost like the throttle sticks on zero throttle for a second or two. I was running the same motor on the greentime 15fet, 45 amp controller and I don't recall the same lag.
I have gone through all the hall / phase wire combinations and found no improvement. I have the three speed switch (three wire version, black, orange, blue) and the speed selection makes no difference. Next step is to try a different throttle.
Has anyone eles found this issue with this or another greentime controller?
I'm only running at 48V at the moment as one of my 6S lipo cells died. But will be up to 75V once my new HK lipo arrives.
Cheers
Matt

Hi Lussy,
I experimented the exact same issue with the greentime 12 Fets. I'd say it was 0.5 sec at first and more around 1 sec. once I soldered the shunt. I tried the same fixes as you but no luck. very weird issue indeed.

could be a shorted fet, but not sure. Greentime controllers either have problems off the bat or work forever in my experience.

Thanks for the feedback guys,
Ian - I will check the resistance acrocss the power supply and phase wires? Will this show a shorted FET?

John - I never specified any current ramp up time. Can this be checked or adjusted?

Thanks
Matt

Lussy said:
Ian - I will check the resistance acrocss the power supply and phase wires? Will this show a shorted FET?

John - I never specified any current ramp up time. Can this be checked or adjusted?

Thanks
Matt
yes, checking it for low resistances between the combos will show a shorted fet.

Lussy said:

Thanks
Matt

It's not anything with the fets. They either work or don't and on times you certainly can't feel a delay.

Are you using a Cycle Analyst or anything else that is connected to the throttle wire? If so, try unplugging to make sure it isn't overriding the throttle signal.

Ask Leo what the default throttle setting is. I think slow-medium-fastest are the selections. Also ask if there's a jumper or other hardware change to affect the throttle, or if it's a program setting only. I'm always quite explicit about each setting of all custom controllers.

I never noticed the kind of delay you guys mention, but I do ride differently, because when I let off the throttle I have to turn it back slowly or risk flipping the bike. I blast out to speed and coast or hold that speed. I do feel the slower current ramp up though when I order a setting of Medium. On some bikes it feels like a surge in power, but typically it feels simply smoother and not a negative at the powers I run. I guess I can see how letting off the throttle and getting back on it again could feel like a delay, since I think that's how it works, ie the current ramping up over a certain time period.

Maybe just knowing how it works can help you adjust the way you use the throttle. There's no delay when you start is there? Can you feel current build on launch or does it feel like you get everything all at once?

John

John , thanks for the advice.
I have a CA and have tried disconecting it without any improvement.

I think you might be right about the throttle setting. I will email leo

It definatly feels like a slow build up of power at take-off. It is an 80 amp controller and the take off is slow (a first time user coul full throttle wihtout any worry) , much more genntle than the 45 amp version. However it does seam to have slightly more torque for hill climbing. This points to the throttle setting.

Overall it doesn't seem to have the power I was expecting. I need to calibrate my CA and confirm that 80amps is being delivered.

Cheers
Matt

has anyone tried to flash a greentime/huatong/wuxi? controller using the xiecheng program?

whatever said:
has anyone tried to flash a greentime/huatong/wuxi? controller using the xiecheng program?

That would have only 2 possible results:
1. It would reject the attempt to connect resulting in no change. OR
2. The controller would never work again.

pretty slim chance of that. Unless they use the same MCU, and the same firmware in it, and the same locations for the data to be flashed, and the same scale/range/values for the data, then the data would be at best useless and ignored by the controller, or at worst would be accepted by it and overwrite locations that coudl hold bits of program rather than data, and brick the controller.

looks like the likelihood is very low, I'll be the guinea pig and give it a try when I find time

Has anyone gotten cruise control working on any of the green time controllers? What did you need to make it work?

Back