Grinding noise in hub motor

Cyclomania

10 kW
In one of my builds I have this weird grinding noise. The same as in this video. It only arises at the start when I throttle hard or go up a steep hill.

Any idea what the issue is when this particular grinding noise arises?

Now the question would be, would it be worth it to install them, adding the wiring and connections needed.
Since you have the hall sensors already, I would probably give it a try… but that’s your call. (No guarantees it will work)
Make sure they are switching as required before putting it all back together. Good tips on bench testing in the thread!
Your controller with self learning capability will be an asset.
I want to give it a try.

Now, I dont quite understand how to go about it though. Should I solder on new wires on the pristine spots to add extra cables there?

Or do I go about doing it like when changing damaged hall sensors, just soldering on the ss41s into the spots there on the upside of the board. Making it one ss41 there? Or maybe three of them in total(nine solders since every ss41 has three points making it 3*3=9)?

I'm pretty sure the hall sensors get soldered directly to the board. The sensors themselves go in the stator gap.
The hard part is adding the wires for the halls.
Kind of like he does in the grin video about the hall sensors, correct? Just put in the ss41s:

Yeah, that is my thinking too. How the heck do I insert the new wires there for the halls.. :)

pcb traces or other related components could be damaged even if you replaced the something else, like obviously the hall sensors.

May be worth checking... verify that you have good continuity between the hall sensor terminals and where the new wiring will go on the pristine solder points. (Nothing scuffed up or damaged in the traces.)

Have all the sensors fronts (with the part stamp) facing the magnets.
All the 5V legs have continuity to the +5V. All the ground legs have continuity to the Ground symbol pad.
And the respective signal legs go to their designated pads of a, b, and c. Use this for reference...

dAAKziF.png

The last wire (WHITE)currently attached to the 'S' pad is for a speed input.
So 6 wires total if your using the speed wire.

hall sensor wires could be damage

You're adding new wires of course, and the voltage readings from the controller's signal output sounds correct. So, no worries here.

hall angles could be at the wrong angle

Your controller appears to accept both normal angles, so I think not an issue.

The hard part is adding the wires for the halls.

Now you could just add 3 new wires as the same size and type as the current 3.
But a more elegant way would be to perhaps buy a cable with 6 conductors with the wire colors of
RED, BLACK, WHITE, BLUE, YELOW, and GREEN. The current draw is minimal... (< 20 mA) I.E. wire size can be minimal, but not to the point of easy breakage.
The open area in which to get the wires through may be an issue. Drop the speed sensor if you're not going to use it and go down to 5 conductor cable if needed.

The difficult part in my mind would be the tucking in and securing of the hall sensors between the stators.
Just a thought would see if I could get them all snugged and glued in, THEN place the board on top for final hall sensor solder terminations.
But whatever works best!
Great video to give you an idea of locations. ( I just glanced at it, so sorry if some of this was gone over already... ;)

Best of luck!

May be worth checking... verify that you have good continuity between the hall sensor terminals and where the new wiring will go on the pristine solder points. (Nothing scuffed up or damaged in the traces.)

Have all the sensors fronts (with the part stamp) facing the magnets.
All the 5V legs have continuity to the +5V. All the ground legs have continuity to the Ground symbol pad.
And the respective signal legs go to their designated pads of a, b, and c. Use this for reference...

dAAKziF.png

The last wire (WHITE)currently attached to the 'S' pad is for a speed input.
So 6 wires total if your using the speed wire.

You're adding new wires of course, and the voltage readings from the controller's signal output sounds correct. So, no worries here.

Your controller appears to accept both normal angles, so I think not an issue.

Now you could just add 3 new wires as the same size and type as the current 3.
But a more elegant way would be to perhaps buy a cable with 6 conductors with the wire colors of
RED, BLACK, WHITE, BLUE, YELOW, and GREEN. The current draw is minimal... (< 20 mA) I.E. wire size can be minimal, but not to the point of easy breakage.
The open area in which to get the wires through may be an issue. Drop the speed sensor if you're not going to use it and go down to 5 conductor cable if needed.

The difficult part in my mind would be the tucking in and securing of the hall sensors between the stators.
Just a thought would see if I could get them all snugged and glued in, THEN place the board on top for final hall sensor solder terminations.
But whatever works best!
Great video to give you an idea of locations. ( I just glanced at it, so sorry if some of this was gone over already... ;)

Best of luck!
Thank you for the very good answer. I am going to put the thread on hold for a while. Because I have to make ready another bike that I use more frequently for the beginning season.

I will come back to this thread when I get the time for it. Thanks again.

Back