Growing pain with ebikes.

I think that is more like another tax scheme that a public safety concern
Cars and trucks are really the only transportation related public safety problem of any significance.

Can't wait till they do it here, so I can start hobbling with my cane for a couple of hours each way (minimum) on my 5 mile work commute every day, at least until someone mugs me again or runs me over.

Best i've seen is to get UL approval on any batteries. They do testing and will weed out the junk. As for faulty chargers they should also get UL approval along with the BMS.

Best i've seen is to get UL approval on any batteries. They do testing and will weed out the junk. As for faulty chargers they should also get UL approval along with the BMS.
UL may weed out the worst of the junk, but there are still some shady batteries that get certified. If you've ever seen the inside of a UL certified Ecotric battery, it looks just like any other super cheap battery, except there is redundant circuit protection in the BMS. It doesn't matter if the battery is held together with shrink tube, foam and caulk if the shrink tape, foam and caulk suppliers have their materials certified.
Also, IPX4 ingress protection is what the UL standard requires. That is not nearly sufficient for a safe battery.

Imagine if one person gets hit by a car, and the reaction is that all cars should be banned. What an overreaction. It's in the article too:

"The ban certainly will affect business at Key Cycling in the Galleria Shopping Center, said Manager Guerold Cajina.

“I don’t think this is a solution. If someone gets hit with a golf cart, are you going to ban golf carts?” he said"

Or if you can't take your ebike. Gee, I wonder what other form of transportation you might take instead...
Many MAST Academy students, he said, use e-bikes to get to school. Cajina said he knows dozens of families of such students and the ban is sure to add traffic to Crandon. “You are talking at least 25 cars in the morning and then again in the evening, in and out of Key Biscayne,” he said.

Children by definition are not ready for responsibility, although giving them some with supervision may be part of preparing them. I see no good reason any child not disabled should have a powered vehicle. Using their bodies and sleeping at night because they are tired is a part of growth that should not be skipped.

UL may weed out the worst of the junk, but there are still some shady batteries that get certified. If you've ever seen the inside of a UL certified Ecotric battery, it looks just like any other super cheap battery, except there is redundant circuit protection in the BMS. It doesn't matter if the battery is held together with shrink tube, foam and caulk if the shrink tape, foam and caulk suppliers have their materials certified.
Also, IPX4 ingress protection is what the UL standard requires. That is not nearly sufficient for a safe battery.
Sounds like UL needs to upgrade. Good idea. :bigthumb:

Imagine if one person gets hit by a car, and the reaction is that all cars should be banned. What an overreaction.

I would be cool with that overreaction. Except under the circumstances, it wouldn't be an overreaction at all. 1-1/3 million people every year are murdered by cars and trucks. What other thing that's so deadly and toxic do we not only permit, but promote? (Besides capitalism itself, of course.)

Let's be clear, though. Nondrivers are held not only responsible for mitigating whatever miniscule risks they impose on other road users, but also mitigating the horrifying, overbearing and ever present risks imposed by drivers as well. And they're responsible for doing this within infrastructure designed to appease drivers and inconvenience all other road users.

Until the insanity stops, we're going to keep getting more of the same results.

What other thing that's so deadly and toxic do we not only permit, but promote?
Overeating?
Toxic masculinity?
No, wait, I know this is supposed to be a tough one.

I've got it! Stupidity!
Because stupidity makes people easy to manipulate and take advantage of.

I would be cool with that overreaction. Except under the circumstances, it wouldn't be an overreaction at all. 1-1/3 million people every year are murdered by cars and trucks. What other thing that's so deadly and toxic do we not only permit, but promote? (Besides capitalism itself, of course.)
DiHydrogenOxide? The silent killer, Through overabundance, uncontrolled consumption, inhalation or immersion it kills 1.5 million people a year, in areas of extreme concentration, the per capita number increases by 1.5 to 3.6% per high concentration day. In areas of low concentration the native specie are rarely ever effected, however outsiders often face a daily risk through lack of concentration levels.

And yet, it is only barely managed from a legal perspective. I am sure you yourself are within mere meters of applied concentrations that could easily kill you.

Oh, I am sorry, did the hyperbole go too far?

Yes, cars and roads are a little questionable. however having traveled the entire planet. Lack of cars can even be worse, and I will happily trade it being a hassle to deal with bike lanes, I am certainly not trading it for treading in horse feces.

Back