Have I fried my BSSHD controller?

mark_44

1 µW
I recently built my BBSHD conversion. All went as planned, and after an initial test ride with the default controller settings, quickly loaded up the 'special-sauce' settings via the penoff utiltiy.

Initially all seemed fine - settings were a huge improvement over stock, and I rarely found myself using anything over pedal assist level 1 (no throttle is installed). I had been very conscious not to start with a high level of assist setting off especially with only a 46t chaining.

Anyway, I took my bike out today and started off and immediately after turning the PAS to level 1, the cutout warning started flashing intermittently, and power was very on-and-off.

I assumed it was a problem with the brake cutout magnet coming out of position - but further investigation leads me to believe its likely to be a controller issue.

When I reconnected to the Bafang programming utility the settings were pretty much 'initialized', and the info was absolutely not 'special-sauce' settings , and no manufacturer info (see pic)

0RcxUuR.jpg

I tried to re-flash the factory original .el file and it looks like its doing it, but basically doesn't save to the controller. A read-flash shows the settings above have not been modified.

As a self-builder, there is scant troubleshooting info out there other than these forums, so I'd appreciate opinions/suggestions/confrimations before I go and buy another controller.

Assuming it is dead, I'd love to know how and why - as I've absolutely not thrashed it in any way.

Thanks everyone

Mark

Hi Mark,
In your screen shot I don't think you have actual communication with your controller as the "Controller Info" section is not properly propagated.
From your description I'd be looking to see if you have true full battery power going to the controller. (BMS tripped or bad connector)

Regards,
T.C.

Thanks T.C.,

I've just measured the battery with a voltmeter, and I'm seeing 53.6V. I plugged the display up again and this is also showing 53.6V. All the other display info looks business as usual.

It was showing up the controller info in the config tool previously, which is why I thought the controller was not working.

Is it likely the USB cable is at fault? It shows up in windows OK as com6/7 Is there any way of testing it, other than buying another?

Thanks again

Mark

Only test I know of would be on a known good controller... :( You are changing the com port in the programming software to the correct one as seen in device manager? Changing USB ports will vary it.

After rechecking all connectors...if you just connect the programming cable alone... (this will bypass the display "on" switch) will the motor start by turning the crank a bit with the battery connected... (pas)? May want to remove chain. :shock:

Try it with the brake connectors and gear sensor removed. Nothing yet?

Check for 5 vdc at the throttle cable connector using this pin-out... Do not short the pins.

FQzHpBv.jpg

A current limit of 1 amp might be an issue.. :mrgreen:

Back