Have money in hand Ready to Buy

mic045

1 mW
230lb male, 20lb pack, trek 820 bike 26" wheels, have money in hand and ready to buy. I Live in the Pacific Northwest with plenty of hills.

What do I buy?

I want to hear from the experts. The people who have been on hills and know what works.

Will be travelling up to 10 miles round trip in hilly conditions.

45 year old male with bad knees can't walk to far, will be mostly on loggings roads with gravel.

If things go bad with setup will still need to pedal bike out.

My thoughts after reading and chatting with a few of you are:

1 Ping battery 48v 20 ah
1 BMC v2t 600w for torque (not sure if this is the way to go after reading some of the reviews) or clyte 5305, 04 (has weight issues)
1 clyte controller (looking for a kits with controller, charger, throttle, etc.. moderatly priced.

Is there a conversion kit out there that can handle my conditions???

Come on guys need some help here. Big guy just needs a hand getting set up.

If you're skilled at doing repairs with a soldering gun I second getting a ping battery.

JinbaIttai said:
If you're skilled at doing repairs with a soldering gun I second getting a ping battery.
ROTFLMAO - that is new classic man = )_

Seriously... does weight really matter? Only if you have to carry the bike up stairs at either end of your commute, otherwise if you feel the 04 xtalyte will meet your requirements... you can always make the battery removable so the bike weight is without the battery for carrying.

I have lots of hills and have no problems with 10-15mi commutes on 10AH LiPo pack @ 62.25v (15S) - I am running direct drive with about 35A limit, most lower cost controllers limit at 15-20A - infineon (and some others) can be bumped up to 30-35A by soldering a few pin headers in place and getting a USB->TTL adapter to program them. There are alot of other "programmable features" for these controllers too.

Our hills are likely similar but you do have a bit more weight than I ... I'm 160 soaking wet (I've lost about 15lb since I started ebiking vs segway) but that's in shape weight. That said, I like to pedal lightly to assist the bike (and draw less attention to myself - that still counts as electric assist imho, me assisting the electric) but it's mostly just for show. The logging roads beg for suspension - front at a minimum, maybe trade a hit in top end for some knobbies to get better traction on the logging roads. 820 trek is a nice base platform.

Again if you don't need to worry about weight (not carrying the bike) then... just go for the strongest thing you can find.

A ping pack of 20AH should support a maximum rate of 2C or 40Amps (30 minutes of total runtime at this level)... by pulling the stock 20-22a, you should have a full hour of runtime. Is charging at each end of the commute possible? If so... almost anything would do the trick for you if you overvolt it enough... how fast do you need the top end (on flats) to be, how fast would you like to climb the hills around you, how much climb do you really have in your ride?

If you have extended downhill useage... ie: mountain range riding, then ebraking might be a good idea for your particular use pattern... it will enhance the braking power of the stock bike and will recharge some of your pack voltage (not much) but this could be critical to a safe ride for your age, weight, physical abilities, etc.

-Mike

mic045 said:
230lb male, 20lb pack, trek 820 bike 26" wheels, have money in hand and ready to buy. I Live in the Pacific Northwest with plenty of hills.

What do I buy?

If you have plenty of money in hand you might want to consider an EMS E+ kit. They're around $2300 but are quite torquey and will have no problem with your weight on hills - and are highly integrated, so installation is quite a bit simpler.

They are also now available with a separate battery instead of the front hub battery, which works better for some people.

mic045 said:

1 Ping battery 48v 20 ah
1 BMC v2t 600w for torque (not sure if this is the way to go after reading some of the reviews) or clyte 5305, 04 (has weight issues)
1 clyte controller (looking for a kits with controller, charger, throttle, etc.. moderatly priced.

Is there a conversion kit out there that can handle my conditions???

Come on guys need some help here. Big guy just needs a hand getting set up.

Here's the best price I've seen on a BMC V2-T kit;

http://ebikesofamerica.com/BMC_600_Watt_Hub_Rim.html

You can also see if this E-S member has this kit available,the motor is not laced to a rim but it comes with a better controller;

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11024&start=0

Or there's always Cycle9;

http://www.cycle9.com/c9store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=86

The 48V/20Ah Ping would probably just be enough depending on exactly how many, how long and how steep the grades are. Top should be around 24 mph.

-R

Have just made the jump in with new Battery. Ping 48v 20Ah $723.00 DAMN THAT HURTS :cry: pingping227 I hope you are putting your kids thru school with this money.

I would suggest the 9C motor ( the 2807) , a 48V 20Ah Ping battery, a crystalyte 40A controller or an infineon controller.... and STRONG TORQUE ARMS

Doc

Doctorbass said:
I would suggest the 9C motor ( the 2807) , a 48V 20Ah Ping battery, a crystalyte 40A controller or an infineon controller.... and STRONG TORQUE ARMS

Doc

That would indeed be quite a nice combo. Is the 9C offered anywhere as a rear wheel? I would suggest that if you're planning on putting out lots of torque as you'll need for high weight + hills, as front forks have been known to snap under high strain (And I'm not entirely sure how much safer torque arms really make a front-hub motor.).

However, I'm not entirely sure how well the motor would take that level of heat. It seems like ebikes.ca is pretty cautious about its power handling capability, but that could be just vendor cautiousness.

If you're not afraid of a little fabrication, I might suggest a high-power cyclone kit for serious hill climbing.

The 9c or the bmc. A 5305 will kill the ping climbing hills, drawing 60 amps all the time. I just did some hill testing on the E-BikeKit front hub with 22 amp 36v controller. It handles up to 7% grade pretty well, and I believe the controller would go 48v. But I only weigh 180, and gearmotors like the bmc have better tourqe than direct drives. Though I've never tested one, I'd go for the BMC if I were you, and had the cash for one. Get a thermometer too, climbing hills heats motors fast, so don't go by just "feeling the cover". It's a lot hotter inside, 40F or more hotter inside the thing. 170-180F is about the max temp for continuous riding. You definietly want a rear motor once it gets steeper than 7%. At some point, a front hub loses the weight on it going up a steep hill.

I am a big guy in hill country. just did some testing.

Try the hill climbing thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13814

I think a 500w cyclone might be what you need. And batteries to support it.

Thoughts on a Bion-x 350. Price is scary but I'm not into trying to check out 2 or 3 set ups and spend the same money.

Steve.

dogman said:
The 9c or the bmc. A 5305 will kill the ping climbing hills, drawing 60 amps all the time. I just did some hill testing on the E-BikeKit front hub with 22 amp 36v controller. It handles up to 7% grade pretty well, and I believe the controller would go 48v. But I only weigh 180, and gearmotors like the bmc have better tourqe than direct drives. Though I've never tested one, I'd go for the BMC if I were you, and had the cash for one. Get a thermometer too, climbing hills heats motors fast, so don't go by just "feeling the cover". It's a lot hotter inside, 40F or more hotter inside the thing. 170-180F is about the max temp for continuous riding. You definietly want a rear motor once it gets steeper than 7%. At some point, a front hub loses the weight on it going up a steep hill.

9c 500w (front or rear) hub motor and infineon 9FET controller provided with e-bikekit.com kits will handle LiPo packs of 15s or 55.5v nominal, 62.25v full charge and current limits can be adjusted to between 35 and 40a maximum (battery current). I have been running this configuration with a front hub (26") for months now...

and yep slipping due to incline with front hub, but then again... if your rear looses traction, you can't pedal your way through it while with a front motor you can kick in a bit of pedal power in most cases to regain traction (once you get used to being pulled around and up hills and such, it is strange at first especially if you are a motorcyclist - quite honestly I dropped my bike first time out, first ride about 3mph in wet grass with some really bad, road tires. First upgrade was some nice traction dual purpose tires.)

I've not ridden a BMC motor either but the reviews are good to excellent so I don't think you could go wrong with either motor....

imho dogman is right on, if price isn't an option then it's about weight : performance and I think the BMC takes it here (again based on third party information)

Hope it helps
-Mike

fasteddy said:
Thoughts on a Bion-x 350. Price is scary but I'm not into trying to check out 2 or 3 set ups and spend the same money.

Steve.

For hill country and a big guy, you would need a 20" wheel. I am a big guy and have owned 3 Bionx, curently have 2. Have built maybe a dozen bionx systems.

Hill climbing for big guys is not bionx's strong point. Bionx is for trying to retain bicycle like feel and light weight for a fairly good power assist system. Ok hill climbing for regular and small people, or big guys that assist a lot but not the toughest terrain. Bionx also has automatic assist and regen, very nice features, but , does not help with hill climbing power.

Wife loves her 250w bionx on her folder with 20" wheels.

d

Putting the motor on a 1950s Monark cruiser with a side car {mobility problems/legs and balance}. Thinking rear wheel mounted.
What is the best battery set up to put with this? Won't be doing a lot of hills.

Thanks everyone for your help. don't want to go with a gas engine.

Steve.

I think the Bionx has gotten bad reviews. I personally wouldn't like a bike where I had to pedal to get it going. I use my e-bike almost like a motorcycle. I think the new 2805 Nine Continent is cool. If I was going to buy a motor now, it'd probably be that one since it's only $200 on a 20" rim and you can get it on a 26" rim for only $280 at ebikes.ca.

Re front hub vs rear hub, and wheel size.

I love front hub on asphalt. It's nice having 2wd, and my commuter is tall enough to pedal through corners, so I can grab traction with both wheels in a clean corner and really lean it. Once in a while, a spot of dirt or a wet spot, and you get the front slipping. I'm a really experienced bike and motorcyle rider, so when slipping happens it doesn't faze me. Others, when the front wheel slips, they have a heart attack.

I have another bike, designed just for dirt riding on steep single track mountain bike trails. It's definitely rear hub, and im my hot climate, I chose the 5304 for it's ability to take a lot of heating. Unfortunatley I still need to invest a heck of a lot of money into a higher volt higher amp controller, and high amp rate batteries before this bike will shine.

That 5304 uses a 24' back wheel for additional torque. With a direct drive motor, a smaller wheel would be good, but for riding on rough dirt roads, I wouldn't want too small a wheel, like 20" myself. The frames I've seen for 20" wheels don't look big enough for my tallish body. In any case, you opted out of the x5 route when you bought the ping in my opinion. You could run one on that battery in flat ground, but not on hills.

Re the sidecar bike.

We need more info to say much about what to use on that bike, especially ride distance. For my needs, I'd be tempted by a 5304 or 5305 rear drive depending on the top speed I wanted, and 48v 35 amp controller. 20 mph or less would be my comfort level on a sidecar bike, and the x5 motors could go forever on a huge battery in the sidecar without getting overheated so fast. And the x5 would have more power for a load in the sidecar. With the sidecar and no steep hills, even sla's would be an option. Ideally you pick a motor and controller, decide how much range you need, and then pick a battery. If you buy the battery first, then it's discharge specs may limit your motor and controller choices. We can make specific battery advice when you have more info for us.

If the ride is short, like 10 miles or less, an E-BikeKit or High Tech Bikes kit would be fine, and lower cost. E-BikeKit has better tourqe. High Tech is 3 mph faster. Both kits are front hub at the moment, but E-BikeKit is working on putting rear kits on the market. Another option for rear would be crystalyte 400 series motors, from ebikes.ca. They can be had in rear motor, and several choices of winding for tourque low speed, or low tourqe higher speed.

Re side car

Thanks dogman.
20 mile range at 20 miles an hour would be great. I am supposed to pedal this bike as much as possible but the doctor is more enthusiastic about that than I am.

I picked the Monark because of 40 years of antique furniture refinishing. I tend to trust old, made in America. The side car will have a box 16"x32". I will build it to include a vented battery storage.

thanks'

Steve.

Just about any direct drive motor kit will do 20 mph. 20 miles won't overheat most either, unless you carry bags of cement or climb steeps. I like to use 1 amp hour of lifepo4 battery for 1 mile range with 36v batteries. You may get much more range than that, but with the sidecar maybe not, depending on speed. That rule of thumb includes 25% for windy days or frozen batteries.

You might look at rear hub kits at ebikes.ca for the motor. pingbattery makes a 36v 20 ah battery that I like and have used for a year and a half. Just the right size for 20 miles at 20 mph. The lifepo4 batteries are so small, you'll have room for all the shopping in the sidecar, or even still carry a passenger. If you have lots of really steep hills, then you need to look for plantetary gear type hubmotors for the extra torque, and can expect to go slower on the steep grades.

Check out the review section if you haven't yet. I have evaluated three motors there, and all the other motors have threads.

Amazingly I get a tremendous amount of health benefit from "spinning" while riding the ebike. Set the throttle about 1 mph below the speed you want, and peadle enough to go 1 mph faster. Not that much effort, and stop when you get tired. In time, you will notice a big improvement in your lungs, and circulation in the legs and feet will be much better. Tendons loosen up, and 2000 miles later, you are looking at bikes with no motor. Coming from the other direction, a really fit cyclist may get fat on an ebike. For you, even some pedaling will benefit your health.

Lastly, we do want a picture of the bike, it sounds bitchin.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help.

Went with a BMC V2-T conversion kit and a Ping 48v 20ah

Motor should be here buy end of the week then have to wait on the Ping

Thanks again everyone

Will let everyone know how it goes once everything arrives and how well it handles the hills.

With so many people on here wanting a motor thats good on hills you would think there would be a better variety of them, or a push to make them......

almost fotgot what sized rear disc break should I use with all this weight??????

Thanks dogman.
You folks have been a great help. I did see your evaluations but now I better understand what I'm looking for.
I'll most definately send pictures. I think the idea of pedaling as I go is the answer.
One more question if I may. I've read that the batteries will burn. What sets this up? Also there is mention of balancing the batteries after charging. how is this done?

Thanks again

Steve.

mic045 said:
almost fotgot what sized rear disc break should I use with all this weight??????

If you want to upgrade, do the front brakes first, they're more important.

Tremendous advice from the usual suspects....and yeah....at 230 lbs...the least of your worries is the weight of the bike & bats.

The big Pinger is what....21 pounds?....the 9c/BMC/Clyte...maybe 12-20 more at worst...the bike maybe 20-25....that's perhaps 60-75 pounds....the rest of what you're hauling is your own ass....I weigh 190 and the 9c with the midget 10ah Ping pulls all but the worst hills with minimal pedal input...

I'm here in Portlandia....a.k.a. the Pacific Northwest...I think you'll be just fine with a 500/750W motor of your favorite flavor.

Back