Help me choose a 48V battery for a TSDZ2 mid drive conversion

Zambam

1 kW
I am currently using a 48V 7.5 AH Lithium battery from a Jetson Haze folding bike in a TSDZ2 (48V 500W motor) mid drive conversion. On the Haze, the battery will run 17 miles full throttle which meets Jetson's spec, even though when fully charged, it reaches only 54 V, not 54.6 V. Does this indicate some issues with the battery?

On the mid drive bike, the battery can get 40 mile range from a full charge easily. Because it came from a folding bike, it does not have a mounting bracket and is strapped onto the down tube with a bicycle inner tube. I am looking for a battery that's less conspicuous. Any suggestions? I don't want a battery higher than 10 AH to keep the size down.

Read the Amazon reviews. About 1 out of 6 give the seller one star, mostly for short battery life. It's a shrink wrapped battery in a case that looks nice in pictures. Shrink wrapped packs in this price range rarely use cell separators, and are glued together, making them vulnerable to damage if dropped.

I'd get a bottle battery that uses name brand cells.

Last edited:
This EM3eV EM3ev Super Shark 48V (13S4P) Ebike Battery | EM3ev is well made but big and heavy @ 10.4 lbs, may not fit in the triangle so out of the question.

Not many choices for bottle battery on Amazon. Found this one https://www.amazon.com/WILLQR-Battery-Lithium-Electric-Protection/dp/B0C9WPP21K?th $10 delivery May 10- Jun 3. Can't be shipped to NYC probably due to not UL approved (true for all Amazon Lithium batteries) so I'd have to have it sent to a friend in NJ.

How's this one from Aliexpress, free shipping est delivery Jun 28? Not sure if they would ship to NYC. I'd hate to have it confiscated by US Customs. Would probably ship to a friend in NJ. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...rl=scene:search|query_from:#nav-specification

Unit Pack Power (UPP) bottle batteries withthe premium cells
I would. I am thinking of the 48V 10.5 AH Samsung for $270. Premium cells? Is that an option I can choose that's extra $ ? I don't see it. Which one do you have?

Edit: I thought weights were listed but now I cannot find them. I am having second thoughts about the 10.5 AH and think I should go with the 7 AH which is smaller and lighter. If the 7 AH unit can give me the same range as the Jetson Haze 7.5 AH battery I will be happy.

Last edited:
I don't have any of these newer designs. Mine are the older 36V10Ah bottle batteries from 2017-2018. One of the Samsung packs has seen covered 6000 miles in 500 rides over the past 5 years, charging to full after each ride, and I still trust it for a 35 mile ride on my hub motor bike. These are two small for a TSDZ2, but I think a 48V7AH to 48V10AH will be fine.

Always get the premium cells. They will run longer. When you get down under 40Better cells have enough grunt to % charge on a smaller battery, the voltage sag and spikes under high current can be enough to shut off the battery with cheap cells.

Back