Help...Why doesn't my Castle HV 140 work??

nikos7

10 W
Hi all

I am somewhat new to this forum and to RC drives in general, hence the problem I'm having with trying to make my simple setup run.

I have a 6 wire Astro 3220 8t motor with a Castle Creations HV140 controller and Turnigy 6s 5ah LiPos. I used the Castle link to set the controller to the following settings per Matt's recommendations:

Airplane fixed endpoint throttle setting
Motor startup set for soft
Throttle response high
PWM rate at lowest setting
Motor timing set for low

Originally I had everything wired up with a Magura throttle and a Throttleizer to provide 5v to the controller, but with no luck. So then I took out the Magura and Throttleizer and wired an Astro servo tester to the controller with 5v from a power supply as you can see in the picture.

Here are the steps I took:

1) I wired the servo tester to the controller (black to brown, red to red, white to orange)
2) I set the servo tester to zero throttle (1.0ms) and powered up to 5.16v
3) I hooked up the controller to the LiPo batteries at 49.2v
4) Immediately I hear the start-up tone and no LED flashing
5) I turn the servo tester to full throttle (2.0ms) and I get a bunch of lights flashing continuously but no action from the motor.
6) I back off on the throttle and the LEDs stop flashing, nothing from the motor
7) Every 8 sec, the LED flashes once.

Can anybody tell by my steps or the pic if I am doing something wrong? :cry: :cry: :cry:

shouldnt need one he is powering the servo tester from a 5v source. Look like its all connected up ok to me. Unless there is something different about these controllers.

duh on me I missed the 5v power source :roll:

you also need to join the rest of your motor wires to complete the circut in delta or wye.

Thud said:
you also need to join the rest of your motor wires to complete the circut in delta or wye.

doc posted some explanation of delta and wye wiring on his 9C hub:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9215&hilit=delta+wye&start=120

make sure you understand the wiring topologies--i'd hate to see you let the magic smoke out of that nice motor.

I speculate, you should call Astro to confirm.

It looks like they have all 3 phases in their own gromett out the back.
if you join all the black wires you should have a Wye connection. (lower kv)

if you join black #1 to blue #2
black #2 to blue #3
black #3 to blue #1
you will have delta (higher kv)
the speed controll will join at the connections

a better picture:
WYE
180px-Wye_Electrical_Illustration.jpg

DELTA
800px-Delta_Electrical_Scheme_Illus.jpg

hope that helps.

Thanks Thud and everybody else...Thud, you are correct on your speculation.
I emailed Bob @ Astro and he confirmed the Wye/Delta wiring diagram for the 6 wire 3220.

Now my motor works :D :D

Attachments

• Wye Delta Wiring.jpg
    Wye Delta Wiring.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,568
Kool!
Now you are obligated to post which configuration you perfer.......DELTA or WYE. :p

Thud

I promise I'll let you know once I get my build going... :roll:

Back