Help with getting Bafang program to talk to BBS02 controller

j1k2

1 µW
I need some help getting the Software8FUN.zipp controllerst.exe program to work - it doesn't seem to communicate with the controller.

Here's what I have and what I've done:

• 1 I have a recent 750W BBS02 number 1410154714 (Oct 2014 production date, serial 154714) with the C963 display. I've mounted it on my approximately 20-year old StumpJumper and it seems to run great. I ordered it with the C963 display so I could see what power it was adding. At times, it helps up to 700+ watts. However, I'm not happy with the PAS, which is why I'd like to reprogram PAS 0 to a simple throttle-only mode as others have done.

2 I have a PL2303TS USB-to-RS232 converter. By measuring the V+ voltage, it uses the "old" standard of 5V signal levels. I have verified that this hardware works by connecting its RX to its TX and using a terminal program to see typed characters echoed from TX to RX. At the same time, I have verified the correct COM setting (it's COM4). In case it matters, I'm using a Lenovo T42p laptop running WinXP Pro.

3 I bought a display extension cable, cut off the male side and built a cable per pexio's excellent instructions and example here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780&start=275

4 I have verified that P+ is connected to PL, that the RS232 RX is connected to the controller TX, that the RS232 TX is connected to the controller RX, that the GND wires are connected, and that there are no broken wires.

5 When I plug the computer connector to the controller connector and turn on the 48V power to the BBS02, nothing happens: I see no change in the controllerst.exe display. When I press the Connect button (yes I do specify COM4), the Close button is ungrayed, but the Read and Write buttons are still grayed out. The display numbers do not change. I do not even read the wheel size: it stays at the default 17-inch setting.

6 I have tried swapping the RX/TX connections to no avail.

7 I have tried unplugging the USB adapter, and I've tried rebooting Windows, both to no avail. I don't see any error messages.

8 The red LED on the speed sensor does not light up at any time - neither with the computer connected nor with the C963 connected.
Fortunately, I have not bricked my controller. It still works normally when connected to the C963 display unit.

But if you have any ideas as to why I can't connect to the controller with controlerst.exe, please let me know!

Thanks,

Jim

I found the problem,or at least a workaround solution. Apparently the controllerst.exe code is not compatible with Windows XP, or at least the version that's on my T42p.

Now I'm using it successfully with Windows 7/64 on my Lenovo W510, and it has no problem with communications at all.

For anyone programming a Bafang BBS02 with a C963 display (instead of the C961) using controllerst.exe, the five PAS levels are as follows:

PAS 0 = Assit0
PAS 1 = Assit2
PAS 2 = Assit4
PAS 3 = Assit6
PAS 4 = Assit8
PAS 5 = Assit9

Back