Hi All

full-throttle said:
So, you don't know how much energy is 'wasted'

Alright, let me ask what kind of suspension have you actually tried? Brand, make and settings. Because I can tell you either never tried one, tried one from a dept store or did not set it up properly.

I'll leave out discussion of my motorcycles, a Honda VF1100S, Suzuki GSX1100G, and Suzuki GS850G, all of which I tuned to one degree or another with springs and valves for above average loads.

Of bicycles I currently own and ride, one is equipped with a highly modified Specialized Future Shock Carbon fork whose travel I shortened from about 50mm to about 35mm for road use. It's an air/oil fork that I fill to about 70psi, with 10W fork oil. I usually back the rebound damping out most of the way. I've had it a long time, I made many parts for it, and even though the bike would be lighter and neater with a normal fork or even a non-suspension version of this fork, I like it the way it is as an artifact and a worthwhile experiment.

redfront.JPG

red_brake.JPG

Another bike of mine has a 2003 Marzocchi Marathon 29er fork modified with stiffer springs (I forget the rate, just the stiffest ones Marzocchi offered), slightly heavier oil, and longer preload spacers. I did the mods to keep static sag to about 20% of the total 80mm travel, and increase damping rates to balance the higher than stock spring rate. This is the longest and most active fork I have used on my own bicycle, and the bike is noticeably slower than it was with its original rigid 29er fork. I give away about an inch worth of the work in each pedal stroke every time I pedal hard.

In the 20th century, I had a 26"/700c street bike with a suspension fork. I used a 700c Manitou elastomer fork with hard elastomers and the preload cranked all the way up. Travel was left stock at about 45mm, give or take.

I built a chopper bicycle with a cheap but reasonably functional Chili Gordo triple clamp type fork, for which I machined a new steer tube assembly so that I could use it as an extra-long single crown fork. It worked well enough for a low-performance chopper with a lightly weighted front end.

During the time I bought and set up all these forks, I was accustomed to keeping my tires inflated to their maximum rated pressure, if not higher. I was operating on the assumption that tire pressure should be somewhat proportional to rider weight, and during that span of time, my weight ranged from a rather lean 280 pounds (at 6'8" tall) to a rather fat 410 pounds or so. I was leery of pinch flats and wheel damage that would occur if I bottomed out my tires, so I erred on the side of too much pressure.

When I made what was to me a leap of faith and began to use normal tire pressures well within the recommended ranges on my bicycles, I found that, like my motorcycles, my bicycles worked better with comparatively soft tires, of however large a size was necessary for the application. Since that time, I have not wanted or acquired any more suspension components.

When I got hip to letting fat tires do their job, 2.5" was a super-fat 26" tire and 40mm was a super-fat 700c tire. Now you can get MTB tires up to 4.7" and 700c tires up to 76mm, with frames and rims to suit. There is less and less justification for mechanical suspension on bicycles that operate on paved surfaces at moped speeds or lower.

Is it [extreme time trial bike] practical? NO
Is it comfortable? NO

The most extreme e-bike is not practical or comfotable either, and neither is the most extreme example of a DH bike, trials bike, or any other single-purpose machine.

Efficiency penalties stack up on each other; you want to incur as few as possible within the constraints of the bike's purpose, if you want the best performance for a given amount of power. (Or conversely, if you want to use the smallest possible amount of power to do a given job.) So it may make sense to have an upright riding position for comfort, traffic visibility, and compatibility with normal clothes, and it may make sense to use fat tires or a heavy bike for durability, low maintenance, and fault tolerance. But if you add unnecessary mechanical suspension to these other efficiency compromises, then you lose even more performance and add cost without adding functionality on the street.

It's easy to get stuck in a sort of motor vehicle vicious cycle where you need a stouter bike to support the power and weight of your electric assist, but that costs performance. So you add more power, and with it more weight. Then your bike has to be more heavy-duty. And so forth. What you end up with is a crude, gimpy motorcycle instead of a self-propelled bicycle.

In terms of day-to-day practicality, suspended bicycles (especially rear suspended bikes) are far inferior to normal bicycles. They don't support normal luggage accommodations or frame mounted accessories, and they offer much less in the way of mounting options for electric systems. They don't fit properly in service stands or on carrier racks. I never for a moment considered a suspended bike for any of my own e-bike projects because they seemed seriously impaired for such adaptation. That said, the first e-bike I built for someone else back in about 1999 had a Manitou elastomer fork and a Softride beam mounted seat.

I'm not allergic to suspension in principle. I just think it's just the wrong tool for the job in this case.

Generally speaking - for commuting on a pedal-only bike suspension is not necessary, but I wouldn't say it's 'wrong'. For e-bike use suspension (front at least) makes a lot of sense: ebike travels faster, efficiency is not as important, it's not as easy to bunny-hop an e-bike, etc.. Either way it's a personal choice. Fat tyres at low pressures are definitely worth trying, strongly agree.

I started riding back in 93, raced since 94, owned at least 15 forks (ranging from 42 to 200mm), 12 shocks and 9 suspension frames. As with everything there are good and bad designs. Marzocchi and Fox are my favourite (have not tried Bos yet). I never ride a particular bike because it's right or wrong but only because I want to. I've ridden XC on road bike, DH bike and anything in between. Multi-day toured in the mountains on a rigid bike off-road and on a full-suspension bike on road. At the end of the day it's all about experiences.

Anyway, don't believe in superstition - well set up suspension doesn't waste 'a lot' of energy :wink:

BTW the recommended max rider's weight for Marzocchi extra-heavy spring (28lb/in) is 240lbs. And heavier oil is not always more viscous.

full-throttle said:
At the end of the day it's all about experiences.
+1.

The more a cyclists actually puts to use the various technologies available for intended applications, the better that individual truly understands how they function.

Intellectual knowledge and intrinsic knowledge are not exclusive, but when there is an imbalance betwen the two by an individual constantly "shedding light" for those in the dark, it is easy to spot.

Len

Well said,

Excellent posts regards suspension & the merits, I can not say that I understand them all 100%, but its been good fact finding to research the info to assist me in getting to understand the quotes that have been posted, but as someone who does not have anywhere near the experience and knowledge of members here who have posted, its been excellent for me to become more knowledgeable, its a great forum for me as I am very green behind the ears.

Wow, this thread has me reading so much on suspension & types of setups at the moment, that I haven't even started to research about controllers & everything else that one has to sort of have a basic knowledge to try and a assemble a more off road type of performance E bike to have fun with :mrgreen:

Cheers

Tom

Lenk42602 said:
The more a cyclists actually puts to use the various technologies available for intended applications, the better that individual truly understands how they function.

Intellectual knowledge and intrinsic knowledge are not exclusive, but when there is an imbalance betwen the two by an individual constantly "shedding light" for those in the dark, it is easy to spot.

I guess you missed the part about me elaborately setting up seven suspensions on two wheelers for myself, to say nothing of the few hundred I have serviced as a professional cycle mechanic. I have had my hands and wrenches on more suspensions than you've probably ever even looked at. I've ridden a mess of them, if only to test ride the bike I just serviced. I know what they do, and what they don't do, and what they do that you might not want them to.

Bicycle mechanics get parts at wholesale. They hear about everything before it even comes out. They get to handle and service everybody's stuff. They can have whatever they want for their own bikes, within price limits. You know what you won't see them riding a whole lot of? Full suspension bikes. Hydraulic disc brakes. Electronic shifting. Anything else that is more gimmick than substance. Y'all can afford magical thinking about your bicycle talismans, but we can't. We have to make it work.

Chalo said:
You know what you won't see them riding a whole lot of? Full suspension bikes. Hydraulic disc brakes.
Total BS
All the mechanics I personally know ride full suspension with disc brakes as one of their bikes. They also ride hardtails, road bikes, fixies, cruisers, etc..

Remember that correlation does not imply causation :wink:

Chalo said:
I have had my hands and wrenches on more suspensions than you've probably ever even looked at.

Chalo, this is the only time I am ever going to check you directly. You have no idea my background. You have no idea what I do for a living. You are a contentious arrogant troll that is 100% ego invested in making sure that you are perceived a certain way by everyone on this forum blathering on about your theory, your opinions. Please do not speak on behalf of "professional mechanics" and what is and is not considered "gimmicks" in the cycling industry. Once again, opinions which will only help to confuse folks here simply trying to get a basic answer for general bike questions.

Since you are not aware, it makes your lineage of online posts and forum trolling look exactly as it is. Don't confuse what your vocation is with who you actually are. For the real folks that ride and wrench, there is no need to overcompensate for lacking by acting as the 2nd coming of Sheldon Brown, haunting forums, inserting yourself into threads in order to flex your authority on all matters...

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach any that are willing to listen, or talk about what they used to do.

There will always be another that knows more than you. Whether or not you see that is what limits your own capacity to learn.

Peace. Out.

Tom, sorry to derail your thread - this type of banter back and forth between members not pertaining to the OP's topic is generally frowned upon here and is in bad taste. Hopefully it will cease. back to your regularly scheduled program.

Len

Chalo said:
full-throttle said:
Chalo said:
When surfaces are good and smooth, mechanical suspension throws away a lot of energy that could be used to propel the bike, or to keep it rolling
lol Do you have any scientific evidence to prove that?

Only the fact that hydraulic dampers are being moved, and their design intent is to convert kinetic energy into heat. You could convince yourself that dissipating your kinetic energy into hydraulic dampers doesn't slow you down, but you'd be delusional.

Mechanical suspension is for vehicles that have an overabundance of motor power to squander.

When surfaces are good and smooth the only contribution against kinematics will come in a direction normal to that surface - into the dampers as you assert. Now if the rider were bobbing up and down like George Michael you might have a valid but minor point Chalo as the rider would be imparting extra energy to the system, and bearings etc. But if the rider has motor power to spare as you assert, it's a pretty silly assertion overall to think that suspension matters to a rider with motor power to spare on a 'good and smooth surface'...

The energy imparted to both skin and profile drag would dwarf this effect by a large magnitude as F-t rightly points out.

Or in short - even top-fuel drag cars run suspension to no detriment.

Lol Len,

No pobs mate, just cant make comment as I know jack about it, and only would make a fool of myself, but I can see your point & Full-Throttles.

Keep enjoying life & ride till the cows come home :lol:

Tom

Samd said:
Or in short - even top-fuel drag cars run suspension to no detriment.

But solar racers don't. Draw your own conclusions.

Lenk42602 said:
Chalo said:
I have had my hands and wrenches on more suspensions than you've probably ever even looked at.

Chalo, this is the only time I am ever going to check you directly. You have no idea my background. You have no idea what I do for a living.

I do note that you don't bother to declare any qualifications at all, or to deny my assertion. I also note that you offer ad hominem but no real information. That's enough data for me to extrapolate from. Thanks.

Chalo is correct that a penalty is paid for weighty additions to the bike, whether brakes or suspension.

The question to be answered by every rider individually is whether it's worth it's weight, worth it's cost in energy spent. For me, after the back went bad bike riding was pretty much over for me, given the rough heat cracked streets here. Till I got bikes with suspension. With better street surfaces localy, I might not need it. But to ride every street, I do need it. I do still have no suspension bikes, but I won't ride them much farther than 4-5 miles. Nor will I ride my best FS bike on the street. That bike is tuned for nasty rocky trails I couldn't stand to ride without good plush long travel suspension. But I pay the price pedailng up a hill on that thing big time. ( no motor on that bike) Bobing away, it's eating my pedal effort alive. But worth it on the descent of the rock staircases.

Chalo said:
Lenk42602 said:
Chalo said:

Chalo, this is the only time I am ever going to check you directly. You have no idea my background. You have no idea what I do for a living.

I do note that you don't bother to declare any qualifications at all, or to deny my assertion. I also note that you offer ad hominem but no real information. That's enough data for me to extrapolate from. Thanks.

some of his qualifications
chalo, in all those years of being a machinist, how many metal shavings did you remove from from yer eyeballs?
if the answer is less than two(2), you win.

Len's is a well crafted bike and one of the best of its style. I've been watching his thread a long time now. I even remember hassling him about his heavy MC handlebars early on (which he appears to have swapped out for reasons of his own). I'm sure it works as good as it looks, and the videos bear that out. It's a more ambitious bike than I have ever built for myself-- and I've had some time-consuming projects.

But I sure wouldn't want to pedal it around, or propel it with less than 500W. You can't quantify the energy loss on a bike like that, but you can observe it directly. He has made a very lightweight and efficient motorcycle, which requires motorcycle-like power to make sense.

onlineaddy said:
Chalo said:
I think e-braking makes most e-bikes substantially less safe than normal mechanical brakes only. Regular brakes won't tear your dropouts or fork tips open and remove a wheel from your bike while you're moving.

Motor torque at the axle is already tough to manage with bicycle components. Reversing torque steps up the stresses and risks to a higher level.

I'd like to be able to stop safely in an emergency though, Chalo. Is torque stress an issue for a mild-powered (1000w) rear-hub Mac motor? If so, would you recommend installing a torque arm/plate to alleviate the concern?

If you use regen or plug braking on a hub motor, you absolutely should have torque arms. I don't know what the peak torque of your Mac motor will be at your maximum current, but the geometry of the axle offers a huge amount of mechanical advantage. Your dropouts would have to be as hard as a wrench to withstand it for long, and then it would be the axle taking a beating instead.

Chalo said:
onlineaddy said:
I'd like to be able to stop safely in an emergency though, Chalo. Is torque stress an issue for a mild-powered (1000w) rear-hub Mac motor? If so, would you recommend installing a torque arm/plate to alleviate the concern?

If you use regen or plug braking on a hub motor, you absolutely should have torque arms. I don't know what the peak torque of your Mac motor will be at your maximum current, but the geometry of the axle offers a huge amount of mechanical advantage. Your dropouts would have to be as hard as a wrench to withstand it for long, and then it would be the axle taking a beating instead.

I shall play it safe and get a torque arm for peace of mind. Thanks, Chalo, for your response.

dogman said:
Chalo is correct that a penalty is paid for weighty additions to the bike, whether brakes or suspension.
Where in this thread the weight was ever discussed?

@ onlineaddy: MAC is a freewheeling motor - it does not regen

Weight is secondary to drag regardless. Drag is proportional to the square of speed.
Suspension makes really little if no impact at all, and becomes a minor player compared to say where your motor is on the efficiency curve, and tire pressure. The weight of suspension is as relative as whether you had lunch or not. I assume the conditions from the above - relatively flat smooth surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance
Check the "Power required" section.

The amount of energy your motor has to put down to maintain speed on the flat as Chalo asserts is broken into two parts, friction losses and drag.
Friction: You might argue that the suspension impacts. But to no end, it's a minor player at typically 10 to 15% of overall. Friction is dominated by tyre pressure and tread, not suspension.
Drag losses: This is the main player and unaffected by suspension, unless you are going to tell me that Fox rear shock I fitted last night has an anchor attached.

Now the important bit. Friction losses are linear to speed. So dogman might might have half a point with 100kg onboard a cargo bike at 5kph. Maybe not - you'd likely want suspension. :p
But drag is proportional to the square of speed. So if we are talking about a normal rider and bike of say 110kg total at 35 to 40kph then it's all about drag.

Wikipedia gives the following example:
300 Watts for a 90 kg bike + rider at 11 m/s (25 mph or 40 km/h) on the flats (83% of effort to overcome aerodynamic drag)...

And if you are going to try and say it isn't, then pick the real parameters to argue on rolling friction on bikes - tyre tread and pressure. An extra kilo or five of suspension gear is like arguing two sides of a moebius strip. Pointless.

Or argue input power, whether you are at say 81% or 82% on the motor curve is more relevant to the watts required at cruising on the flat than suspension.

Samd said:
Or argue input power, whether you are at say 81% or 82% on the motor curve is more relevant to the watts required at cruising on the flat than suspension.

On some surfaces, maybe you're right. On the harshest surfaces, suspension surely saves net energy that would otherwise be wasted to launching the vehicle and rider into the air. But on decently paved roads, it's a significant energy sink.

Consider this: With a low frequency ripple in pavement, an unsuspended bike will treat the surface as a series of small hills, decelerating on the uphill side and regaining the lost speed on the downhill side of each undulation. But suspension compresses on the uphill side, converting kinetic energy into heat in the dampers, then extends on the downhill side, again converting kinetic energy into heat in the rebound dampers, and then as the vehicle returns to its normal amount of sag, it will burn off a little more energy yet.

If you have to pedal to maintain speed, you clearly notice the difference. If you're using a motor instead of pedals, you don't notice the effect, but that does not mean it isn't there. On paved surfaces that aren't all broken or potholed, but not smooth either-- in other words, the streets most of us know-- the effect of suspension on speed is much greater than tire drag. Then if you pedal in addition to using motor power, your suspension eats up whatever fraction of your pedal stroke is represented by the amount of bob in the suspension. At bicycle speeds, it's no energy bargain at all.

At motorcycle speeds it makes more sense, but in that case what are the pedals for?

Do a search before posting

http://courses.k-state.edu/fall2005/KIN/KIN630/bicyclesuspensionresart.pdf
Two studies [4,6] conducted in a laboratory reported no energy expenditure in-crease related to suspensions when riding on a smooth surface. Such studies indicate that if any energy was indeed dissipated in the suspensions, it was too small to be measured by traditional respiratory gas analysis methods.
In summary, evidence present in the literature suggests that cyclist-generated power that is dissipated by suspensions is minimal and probably negligible on most terrains.
Finally, suspension systems clearly improve comfort and reduce physical stress. This issue should not be overlooked, as most recreational cyclists will ultimately favour comfort over performance.

On some surfaces, I am precisely right. And on the others, still spot on.

The harmonic energy dissipation experienced to truck trailer suspensions systems as a function of local temperature was my B.Eng(Mech) thesis. Two decades ago - so there's cobwebs but the principles remain.

The energy dissipated to the suspension fluid on a bike is a handful of watts - negligible when compared to motor efficiency. And as we now know that rolling friction is fractional compared to drag at speed, the energy lost to suspension ends up being a fraction of a small percentage of a bike's total energy loss when coasting.

full-throttle said:
Do a search before posting

Two studies [4,6] conducted in a laboratory reported no energy expenditure in-crease related to suspensions when riding on a smooth surface.

I did stipulate an unbroken but unsmooth surface, like the ones most of us live with. Of course a geometrically smooth surface doesn't waste energy by working the suspension-- until you pedal hard.

In the mian, an oscillating rider on a bike with loosely sprung suspension will just waste energy between the rider's legs and bike, not from the motor to the bike.

Chalo said:
I did stipulate an unbroken but unsmooth surface
No you did not
Chalo said:
When surfaces are good and smooth, mechanical suspension throws away a lot of energy that could be used to propel the bike, or to keep it rolling

In summary, evidence present in the literature suggests that cyclist-generated power that is dissipated by suspensions is minimal and probably negligible on most terrains.

Just admit you were wrong. In your situation it's easier.

Back