Hobbit hal needs help on choosing path for gen1 insight

hal2000

1 W
I have a gen 1 yr. 2000 insight w/ 234,000 m (just bought for $2,300.00.)
Issues
1. Throwing a 1600 error ima general fault (which I do not know how to interpret) Assuming it is a used up battery given my milage.
2. Transmission is grinding downshifting into 2nd but otherwise seems fine (not poping out of gear. clutch seems to work and body is in good shape with one dent in the rear fender just above the rear wheel well. paint not badly faded but pited and gravel dinged on hood.

Spending more than 6 grand total for car and fixes is going to be a tough sell, as thats what I showed her insights with half my milage offered at on the net!!!
Trany estimate is 2,500 for syncros seals and bearings. battery is $2,500 for replacement from bumbelbee battery of portland Or. Opps were over our s.l.c. (sleep on couch) by $1,300

What I want. Originally wanted to gut and make a town car pure electric.
Reading insight central has dissuaded me from this for the following reasons.
1. batteries: Lithium iron phosphate batteries are heavy take up a fair amount of room and are expensive. The insight was optimized for light weight and small size. It will be hard to find the space and suspension capacity to make a car of any range and performance fit in that package.
2. cost to payback ratio. The Honda running as a hybrid is capable of 70 mph
Tearing out it's whole drive train and replacing it with a pure ev would net me only a small gain in efficiency for the cost of conversion.
3. I believe that advances in sulfur cathode silica anode technology just out of stanford will drastically raise the capacity of batteries in the next four years. allowing a light weight vehicle such as the insight to have a usable set of batteries, say 40 amp hours at much less weight than now avalible. So any pure ev project i undertake would have to be chassis and power train only and leave batteries for the last element of integration.

So, thats the background on my project and here is why it is relevant right now. I just saw a 2000 insight identical to mine come up for $3,500.00 with 150,000 m and no mentioned error codes. Could I kill two birds with one honda? Take the trany and swap into my car, disassemble the battery on both cars, test and recondition the cells taking the best for reassembly into one functional battery pack. I would save the remaining insight minus bat and trany, for future use in 4 years in a pure ev.

cost of the new repair option on trany and bat is around 4.5 grand but I have a car that is closer to new than option 2

Cost of triage option $3,500 for a future ev roller and a working insight with questionable longevity, What would those of you that have gone down either of these roads Do? Would I be overpaying for the sacrifice insight? Is the expected life left in a reconditioned bat and substituted trany not worth the effort needed to swap them out only to have them potentially fail in 50,000 miles of further driving?

How long can i expect the best of the old cells to last from now even if I implement Mike's grid charger option and balance them monthly? If I go the battery revival route I would love to have a mentor locally who perhaps owns a grid charger or has worked on insight battery packs to calm my fears through this process. Yes I have read and watched mikes utube vids on bat removal relating to installing mima, but it's not the same as boots on the ground hand holding!

Thanks ahead of time and any comments are welcome. Oh Is a working insight at 3.5 g with 150,000 and no burning issues a common occurrence or can i feel safe in preserving my remaining bank reserves and pick one up after I have recovered somewhat from my recent purchase of my first problem child?

that is silly to destroy another car to get parts. why can't you get a code reader? have you ever worked on a car before? do you have tools?

you should look at what peter perkins is doing and see if you can still buy some of those big A123 packs to make it into a plug in hybrid.

if you have trouble shifting, maybe you can learn to double clutch to help out the synchros that have lost their grip.

you should have a look at the cheaper led driver supplies that Peter Perkins championed on insight central. not taking anything away from Mikie Dabrowskis work since i have a mima installed and its absolutely amazing. just be cheaper to do the charger yourself if you only want the 0.3 amps trickle charger. I bought my charger from Art who basically used Mikes work to get himself started. Nowadays id just build one myself. My car is probably on life support of grid charging though i've not had any really serious p codes for the battery yet. just a matter of time i reckon. Mine is an 2001 model on its first battery 120k miles. Hope you keep the car going they are awesome.

dnmun said:
that is silly to destroy another car to get parts. why can't you get a code reader? have you ever worked on a car before? do you have tools?

you should look at what peter perkins is doing and see if you can still buy some of those big A123 packs to make it into a plug in hybrid.

if you have trouble shifting, maybe you can learn to double clutch to help out the synchros that have lost their grip.

I was not planning to destroy the second car, think of it as an organ doner, who after this ( death ) will be reincarnated as a pure EV.I don't know how to include 2 quotes in one reply so...

It would be cheapest and easiest to just convert to straight ICE and remove the big battery. I drove mine with the big battery off line most of the time for 6 months before the class action suit forced Honda to buy me a new one. The fuel economy is almost the same. It's just that the acceleration is much less.

whereswally606 said:
you should have a look at the cheaper led driver supplies that Peter Perkins championed on insight central. not taking anything away from Mikie Dabrowskis work since i have a mima installed and its absolutely amazing. just be cheaper to do the charger yourself if you only want the 0.3 amps trickle charger. I bought my charger from Art who basically used Mikes work to get himself started. Nowadays id just build one myself. My car is probably on life support of grid charging though i've not had any really serious p codes for the battery yet. just a matter of time i reckon. Mine is an 2001 model on its first battery 120k miles. Hope you keep the car going they are awesome.

The problem is that with no local mentor yet to help me do a cell by cell diagnosis of my packs health, i'm not sure the effort to build the grid charger that mike or Peter have developed, will result in a good outcome. The grid charger seems to be a single purpose trickle charger amed at insight owners. If I am going to go to the cost in time and money to build a charger I would hope to be able to end up with one that is user configurable and capable of being used as a home charger for a pure EV as well as my insight. ( see this weeks e tv broadcast).

sendler2112 said:
It would be cheapest and easiest to just convert to straight ICE and remove the big battery. I drove mine with the big battery off line most of the time for 6 months before the class action suit forced Honda to buy me a new one. The fuel economy is almost the same. It's just that the acceleration is much less.
I'm getting only 41 m/gal city driving, with my battery in its present state. Assist only comes on for three seconds at a time. I want 70 mpg! Something needs to be done! If I have to spend $2,500 for number one to make it so, then i say fire both photon torpedos, and spend what it takes to end up with something that has some pinashe. Either a pure ev mode of at least 20 mile range or enhanced assist that puts me int the 100mpg range. Hum.. Don't tell my wife that's how I feel!

Here is a thread on ecomodders about running an Insight on pure ICE.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/running-insight-without-nimh-high-voltage-battery-20062.html

hal2000 said:
The problem is that with no local mentor yet to help me do a cell by cell diagnosis of my packs health,... i'm not sure the effort to build the grid charger that mike or Peter have developed, will result in a good outcome.
You have a lot of options.

The charger Peter came up with costs less than $100 to build, and may help you limp along for quite a while longer.
Mike's is awesome and extremely configurable, but pricey. ($1,000 with all the goodies)

I'm not sure where you are located, but I could certainly mentor you as far as diagnosing your pack.

You can turn off the electric motor and drive it on all gas while you take time to go through your pack.

Call me and I'd be happy to help get you started. 608-729-4082

Back