Holmes' A2B Metro Review

johnrobholmes said:
I would keep it as stock as possible. I'm not about to go polishing this turd past the origional design :lol: Mostly because I don't like the geometry, I just don't like riding an unstable bike.
I test rode one of these yesterday, but the soft-start & very poor hill climbing & no likie tire shape & thought it would feel not so safe at 25-30mph... turned me off.

Is there any eBike out there or frame-wheels you would recommend in the $1500-2500 range you would suggest looking into?

The A2B sounds like a great e-bike. I just sold my Vespa and I'm looking to get an E-bike. Question for all of you. Is there any e-bike which allows a decent double rider experience?

When i say decent I don't even mean comfortable, just a bike that has the power and frame strength to accomodate a 170lb main rider and a 120lb second rider. What I'm thinking of is mounting some sort of second seat on the back platform / optional battery holder. Would something like this even be possible? I think I read the max load capacity is something like 275lbs so if you were able to "lock out" the rear suspension shock could an A2B Metro serve as a dual rider for only short rides around the city?

If the answer is no, I'll probably still get one, but one of my favorite things about the vespa was ability to take two people for short cruises and I'd love to find a way to somewhat reasonably do this on an A2B metro. Thanks for any ideas. -Dan

SilverTT said:
The A2B sounds like a great e-bike. I just sold my Vespa and I'm looking to get an E-bike. Question for all of you. Is there any e-bike which allows a decent double rider experience?

When i say decent I don't even mean comfortable, just a bike that has the power and frame strength to accomodate a 170lb main rider and a 120lb second rider. What I'm thinking of is mounting some sort of second seat on the back platform / optional battery holder. Would something like this even be possible? I think I read the max load capacity is something like 275lbs so if you were able to "lock out" the rear suspension shock could an A2B Metro serve as a dual rider for only short rides around the city?

If the answer is no, I'll probably still get one, but one of my favorite things about the vespa was ability to take two people for short cruises and I'd love to find a way to somewhat reasonably do this on an A2B metro. Thanks for any ideas. -Dan
Since you circled this question back to A2B, I'll respond, have you ridden an A2B? No way would I want to ride 'that' with two people. You need to consider the Yuba Mundo 1st, imo, and 2nd another cargo type bike like Surly Big Dummy & there are a few others too if you're willing to look online & search a bit. If you rode a Vespa, then that had way more performance than "the dinky" A2B s l o w start/acceleration has. A2B is a good beginner bike for a man or strong woman that doesn't mind a heavy frame/bike and/or is a beginner rider AND has no big-long or steep-short hills to climb. A2B is a first attempt to bring eBikes to the masses with some style & marketing money behind it, but it's a flop in any performance category or w/hills too.

Skip the A2B. Mod a Yuba Mundo & you can carry 1-2 beautiful models with you too :!: :twisted: 8)

deVries said:
johnrobholmes said:
I would keep it as stock as possible. I'm not about to go polishing this turd past the origional design :lol: Mostly because I don't like the geometry, I just don't like riding an unstable bike.
I test rode one of these yesterday, but the soft-start & very poor hill climbing & no likie tire shape & thought it would feel not so safe at 25-30mph... turned me off.

Is there any eBike out there or frame-wheels you would recommend in the $1500-2500 range you would suggest looking into?

Im not aware of any in that price range that don't seem overpriced compared to kit + bike. I don't have any production bikes in my stable any more. Only kit bikes. I do fix a lot of production bikes around town now though. Lots of currie bikes. I wouldn't recommend them for a seasoned ebiker though, only as a first step into the market.

deVries said:
Since you circled this question back to A2B, I'll respond, have you ridden an A2B? No way would I want to ride 'that' with two people. You need to consider the Yuba Mundo 1st, imo, and 2nd another cargo type bike like Surly Big Dummy & there are a few others too if you're willing to look online & search a bit. If you rode a Vespa, then that had way more performance than "the dinky" A2B s l o w start/acceleration has. A2B is a good beginner bike for a man or strong woman that doesn't mind a heavy frame/bike and/or is a beginner rider AND has no big-long or steep-short hills to climb. A2B is a first attempt to bring eBikes to the masses with some style & marketing money behind it, but it's a flop in any performance category or w/hills too.

Skip the A2B. Mod a Yuba Mundo & you can carry 1-2 beautiful models with you too :!: :twisted: 8)

Thanks deVries. That is helpful. I actually haven't ridden one yet. I figured it would be ok for some short trips around the city since we have 100% flat terrain here in NYC. I wouldn't mind pedaling to get it going but I've started to think it might just be easier to get two of them for riding together. We are now deciding between the A2B and the Stromer. For a few reasons I think the Stromer might be the way to go, mainly the easily removable primary battery which can be brought upstairs to the apt for charging. In my current bike room I would have no way of easily charging the A2B's primary battery in the downtube.

I have a 2009 a2b Metro with around 4000 miles on it, and ride it just about every day around Miami FL.

Read with some amusement the findings and they seem fair.

I could list the number of components that have been replaced, but that would seem like whining and diminish the overall satisifaction I have with the bike.

I will offer these suggestions:

Bike has great range if you know how. Getting 50 miles from two 36vx10.8 AH Li ion batteries. Pedal first from a start and low speed. Speed drops to 17 mph at end of discharge.

Do not take a passenger. Crack the welds on the rear swing arm.

Replace the awful Kenda tires with moped tires: UltraMotor found that Shinko SR714 DOT approved tire, 2,25x16 works well, and doesn't puncture like the uber soft Kenda.

Replace the brake pads with semi metallic Discobrakes.. They don't squeal and have lasted 2000 miles so far.

Ergogrips from Germany are a huge improvement.

Flop the upper rubber pulley with metal stay. This reduces chain noise on the stay.

If the rear fender cracks, saw the back half off.. You don't need it and it looks better.

Needs a better rear shock. Not willing to pay 200 for an improvement. Installed the elastomer rod in the shock and that limits rear travel.

Replace the awful Kenda tires with moped tires: UltraMotor found that Shinko SR714 DOT approved tire, 2,25x16 works well, and doesn't puncture like the uber soft Kenda.

Thanks for the tips. I just changed the tires to these Shinko SR14, and it is like a new bike.

I live in St Augustine, Florida and ride about 20 miles round trip to work. I charge at work. It seems to be good in wet weather too.

I think the frame is solid, and I would like to have a little more speed and power. Has anyone considered adding a Shumaker drive (v drive, Da Vinci) to the existing hub? Left hand for the RC motor and right for the hub... Just thinking...

matt20 said:

Thanks for the tips. I just changed the tires to these Shinko SR14, and it is like a new bike.

I live in St Augustine, Florida and ride about 20 miles round trip to work. I charge at work. It seems to be good in wet weather too....

You're welcome... Do YOU have any suggestions?

I ordered those tires and found them too short, since I had added a 51t front inorder to have a reasonable cadence it didn't make sense to me..they were returned and I put new Kendas back on with new kenda hd tubes + some slime.

waiting for Ypedal to build up a new battery pack or hack into the oem controller...I would like a bit more oomph from this thing.

wj

Back