Horses of Iron

Well, I believe it was made on the Island, but can only hold two wives in the front seat, and only if they are on really friendly terms with each other? It's the "boss" (aka "husband") that has to do all the hard work in the back, of course. If it were electrified, not so much...

Hehe...

L

AerOcycle_1975_zps9ab44c41.jpg

I believe this image is titled "How to extend the range of your battery pack per charge"... Something like that...
Hehe...
L

Not electric of course... I just thought this painting was kinda cute. The title is "Damn butt-sniffers are tailgating again"...
Albert_Joseph_Penot_zpsd08b882b.jpg

Something like that... Of course, if she DID have an electric bicycle, she could leave those silly buggers farther behind... Sorry about using the "B" word here...
Hehe...
L

Bamboo_1896_zpsfe57f2c3.jpg

Yah, I know, it's not electric... But it's from 1896? And it *could* be 'lectric? I'm kinda a fan of bamboo really... On the Toronto Islands, at least one darned "gardener" actually grows a small stand of bamboo (the Lake - Ontario - sorta moderates the island "climate", eh?) Anyway, bamboo is pretty tough stuff eh? And it actually rots away when it's "worn out"? The metal motor, etc could be reused?

Anyway, if all goes according to (my) plan, one flavour of electric bicycle partly manufactured on the Toronto Islands would have the frame (at least) manufactured from locally grown bamboo...

You guys and grrrls on ES like?

L

Nice one, Sir sk8norcal! Wonder where those grrrls are today? Living better 'lectrically for their transportation needs, we hope... Here, another grrrl (can a grrrl roar like a lion?)...

Gawd, I think I'm in love... Again... Sadly, poor grrl was lost in the Pacific maybe 20 years before I was born... maybe...

Amelia liked to fly eh? In the air, and, it turns out, on the ground too...

Amelia_Earhart_1936_zps71763a0c.jpg

Seen here:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/America's_Sweetheart
America's Sweetheart is an official title that has been held by 2793 different women of various nationalities since 1914. An MSN search yields 168,256 results.

Oddly, seems her family dropped the "D" from her last name... Plus mis-spelt the last part of her last name...Hehe...

Also, she's not on THEIR list (above) yet, either?

So, does ES have a list of "sweet hearts", ebiking grrrls and boys yet? Could Amelia be added as an "honorary member" or something?

Sadly, her "scooter" (and her planes) ran on that stinky gasoline stuff, but today she would know better? Her "scooter" could be battery-electric at least? She perhaps didn't know or care that she could kick that "scooter", or that pedals were a smarter option, to "save (that stinky) gasoline (or a charge in a battery)?

I actually walked by her "connection" (one of them) to Toronto the other day...

Per Wikipedia:
1918 Spanish flu pandemic
When the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic reached Toronto, Earhart was engaged in arduous nursing duties including night shifts at the Spadina Military Hospital. She became a patient herself, suffering from pneumonia and maxillary sinusitis. She was hospitalized in early November 1918 owing to pneumonia and discharged in December 1918, about two months after the illness had started. Her sinus-related symptoms were pain and pressure around one eye and copious mucus drainage via the nostrils and throat. In the hospital, in the pre-antibiotic era, she had painful minor operations to wash out the affected maxillary sinus, but these procedures were not successful and Earhart subsequently suffered from worsening headache attacks. Her convalescence lasted nearly a year, which she spent at her sister's home in Northampton, Massachusetts. She passed the time by reading poetry, learning to play the banjo and studying mechanics. Chronic sinusitis was to significantly affect Earhart's flying and activities in later life, and sometimes even on the airfield she was forced to wear a bandage on her cheek to cover a small drainage tube.

And (also per Wikipedia):
Early flying experiences
At about that time, with a young woman friend, Earhart visited an air fair held in conjunction with the Canadian National Exposition in Toronto. One of the highlights of the day was a flying exhibition put on by a World War I ace. The pilot overhead spotted Earhart and her friend, who were watching from an isolated clearing, and dived at them. "I am sure he said to himself, 'Watch me make them scamper,'" she said. Earhart stood her ground as the aircraft came close. "I did not understand it at the time," she said, "but I believe that little red airplane said something to me as it swished by."

So, watt would an ebiker say today, as they swoosh past her pathetic gasoline-powered "scooter"?

Fly Amelia, fly! (WhEVer you are). I'm sure she continues to kick serious butt no matter watt "heaven" she's flying in (feel free to pick any "heaven" ya like...). You rock grrrl!

Sorry boys and grrrls, but I'm first in line! The rest of you will have to fight for second place in the lineup... Hope the line isn't TOO long!

Hehe...

L

BTW... Any "electric men" here on ES yet? Yah, yah, I know all you guys and grrrls ARE electric (hehe), but I meant one of those  "dummies" used for transportation (and no, I am not referring to anybuddy that drives one of those silly gasoline-burning thingee...) I am referring to a REAL dummy (sort of, with apologies to "dummys" EVerywhere... Hehe...).

Somebuddy has put together a rather nice, long page about those guys (sadly, maybe most of them were guys), here:
http://cyberneticzoo.com/?tag=electric-man

I have a better pic of "Big Chris"...
BigChris_1901_zpsd9bbf3d9.jpg

Haven't done a search yet on ES? Might be a fun project for somebuddy here?

L

Oooops... Forgot I have a pic... Possibly failing memory, but is there such a thing a "too many pictures/images"? Hehe... Anyway (re "bamboo ebikes", above, in this same thread) this:
Kawayan_zpsef5e3e17.jpg

Seen here:
http://www.kawayantech.com/blog/page/2/
In part:
“Electric eric”
Posted on September 30, 2010 by admin

KawayanTech has come up with its own Electric Bamboo bike aptly named The Electric Eric.

Years ago, when the partners of KawayanTech were much younger, Eric Cadiz was hit by lightning on top of Mt, Makulot in Cuenca, Batangas. He was knocked unconscious and he had to be carried down the mountain. The swiss knife he had on him at the time when he was hit looked like it was welded. His pants had a rip on the side reminiscent of how kids draw lightning. Eric survived that ordeal and the UP Mountaineers started fondly calling him Electric Eric.

Eric took the lead in developing this product as such we have named this model The Electric Eric

It is the first electric bamboo bike in the Philippines and it had its first ride on September 21, 2010. With an average speed of 21 kph, it performed well on its 42 km trip from Lipa to Taysan and back.

Cool ebike Mister Eric Cadiz! Sadly many North American riders think 21 kph kinda "sucks"? What's its top speed please? (Sorry if Erics bike has already been spotted/posted on ES!)

Cheers

L

Seen here:
http://amhistory.si.edu/onthemove/collection/object_297.html
Clarke_1897.jpg
Clarke gasoline tricycle
In collection
From the Smithsonian Collection

In 1897, Louis S. Clarke of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, founded the Pittsburg Motor Vehicle Company with himself as president and engineer, and constructed this experimental motor tricycle. With the experience thus gained, in the following year the company built a 4-wheel automobile, which is now in the Henry Ford Museum. The name of Clarke's firm was changed in 1899 to the Autocar Company--one of the few pioneer automobile companies surviving today.

The tricycle was restored in 1963 by Dale C. Price of Cambridge, Maryland. Some of the original parts have been replaced-the saddle, handlebar grips, spark plug, rear tires, and a relief pipe and valve on the engine's crankcase.

Clarke's 1897 vehicle, which is known as the first Autocar, is a conventional tricycle equipped with a gasoline engine that drives the rear wheels. The frame consists of standard bicycle parts and some special parts designed and made by Clarke.

The 1-cylinder engine has a mechanically operated exhaust valve and an automatic intake valve. On its crankshaft extension is a gear that meshes directly with the ring gear of the differential. No gear changes are provided. A single lever operates both the clutch (located on the crankshaft extension between the engine and the driving gear) and a band brake on the drum of the clutch. There is no throttle, but the engine speed can be varied by means of a spark-advance lever, and there is a fuel-flow regulator on the exhaust-heated, gasoline vaporizer.

The main exhaust pipe leads into a small muffler. The gasoline tank is in the frame beneath the saddle, and the batteries and high-tension coil are in a box farther forward in the frame. Bicycle pedals, with the usual sprockets and chain, enable the rider to start the engine and, in event of a breakdown, to propel the vehicle. An overrunning clutch is built into this gearing so that the pedals are not driven by the engine while the tricycle is in motion.

The front wheel is supported in a steering fork equipped with handlebars. The wire-spoke, bicycle-type wheels carry 26-by-2 1/2-inch single-tube pneumatic tires, and Clarke has stated that the tire on the front wheel is an original.

Still looking forward now to my *electric* trike, en route from Calofornia... Mister Clarke would know better today... Today we have that fabulous lithium stuff for batteries, and need none of that stinky (?) gasoline...

L

It occurs to me in this sorta "mini-history" rambling on about options in transportation (beyond the horse), I have been sadly remiss in not mentioning this gentleman... SAM Whittingham gets most of the mentions on ES of course, but this gent, very few. Maybe could be added to the list of the "Gods of the Ebike"...

From Wikipedia:
M. Stanley Whittingham (born Michael Stanley Whittingham, 1941), an American chemist.

And, under "Research":
Dr. Whittingham is a key figure in the history of the development of Lithium-ion batteries discovering the concept of intercalation electrodes. Exxon commercialized the first rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which was based on a titanium disulfide cathode and a lithium-aluminum anode. He developed the hydrothermal synthesis technique for making cathode materials, which is now being used commercially for the manufacture of lithium iron phosphate by Phostech/Sud-Chimie in Montreal, Canada. He co-chaired DOE' study of Chemical Energy Storage in 2007, and is now Associate Director of the Northeastern Center for Chemical Energy Storage, a DOE Energy Frontier Research Center.
He received the Young Author Award from the Electrochemical Society in 1971, the Battery Research Award in 2004, and was elected a Fellow in 2006 for his contributions to lithium battery science and technology.

And his current page with links at Binghamton University in NY:
http://materials.binghamton.edu/whittingham/whit.html

...and a pic of our Distinguished Professor...

Tks

L

Well, well... Lookie watt an old ebiker sees walking (staggering) around... but this:
IronHorse.jpg

The "Iron Horse Cruiser Club" (the Iron Horse Chopper & Cruiser Club in Toronto, established in 2008), and their "Road Captain" has a "blog", here (sadly, only three "members" to date, now four. I guess the Captain might now say "All Aboard!", or "Caution, ebiker approaching!"):
http://ironhorsetoronto.blogspot.ca/

... now has "made the leap" to Facebook ("membership" has jumped to three or four clubs, totaling maybe 20-69 members), here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ironhorsecc

So pics of some very pretty bicycles and motorcycles, sadly (for an ebiker) none of them appear to have an electric assist. (Well, not yet anyway...)

Permission to come aboard Captain?
Hehe

L

Ohhh! Nice chariot Master sk8norcal! None of that quaint bronze that the Sintashta culture used to use... Hopefully none of those (watt some others might rudely call "quaint") SLA batts, for "electrical" energy storage either.
L

Hmmm... Re chariot... "24V"? Sounds suspiciously like SLA... `Course, his southern warmer winter weather might maybe sorta help. I'd be interested in seeing his numbers, "walking" vs wheels as more eff...(Plus know watt chem exactly he is using to store energy.) At least, I'm pretty sure his "slave" could kick a soccer ball better than a wheel... Hehe
L

The story re "Who Invented the Steam Engine?" on the "Live for Science" (with apologies to some that might live just for physics) site here:
http://www.livescience.com/44186-who-invented-the-steam-engine.html?cmpid=556831

PS. Stinky stuff (aka "chemistry") rocks too!

Not travel related exactly, but from the British BBC a three part series "The Story of Electricity" on YT here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1igfZT0T54

Highly recommended.
L

(Sorry, didn't know which thread on ES to file away this link.)

Again, maybe not "ebike-related", but stumbled across pics/talk about the Peoples Car:
[youtube]y0FM_7_drf0[/youtube]

(starts about 38:44)

Spotted in English 1891 vs. 1911 censuses. In "Domestic Outdoor Service", 1911 the usual coachmen and horse groomers (67,228). Right below, Motor Car Drivers, Motor Car Attendants (23,151).
Census.jpg

Count for employment for car stuff in 1891 zero, apparently.

Snipped off YeHaw vid:
[youtube]8n_vWOo_rBk[/youtube]

oatnet said:
OMG in all my searches on front haulers and tadpole trikes, I never came across one of those. GREAT idea!

Capital J, Big O sorry forgot.
http://cappelcustomcarts.com/index.html

(ES "Search found 3 matches: +cappel"

BTW. If ya like this ES history thread "Horses of Iron", maybe see website
http://rockingwings.tripod.com/

" Introduction and Acknowledgements
When the 15 December 1953 issue of the Manchester Guardian hit the newspaper stands, the article about a Scotsman flying a powered aeroplane before the Wright Brothers in the summer of 1903 didn't cause much of a stir. Few who read the paper that morning would have known who on Earth Preston Watson was, and even fewer would have cared."

So, yah, sorta like ebiker pioneers in 21 Century? So, Preston Watson. Honorary Member re "Gods of the Ebike" pantheon of Rebels in travel machine tech?

"8th, it is not expensive, costing from 100 francs upwards."
... published in 1880 journal. On ES:

Words written by Master of Ebiker Techee stuff M. Gustave Trouve, re the cost of electric motor.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25295#p368155

So... Some reader may wonder... 100 francs? Watt the heck? Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tables_of_historical_exchange_rates_to_the_United_States_dollar

So fer ONE US Dollar, about maybe $0.20 UK pound Sterling. So 100 francs, about 20 UK P.S. (Currently about $1.63 US dollars.)

(Per Wikipedia "The pound was a unit of account in Anglo-Saxon England, equal to 240 silver pennies and equivalent to one pound weight of silver. It evolved into the modern British currency, the pound sterling." All figures here highly suspect.)

Back