• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How does your ebike weight?

My KMX tadpole trike weighs in at 115 lbs with 40.7V 21Ah (850wh) of Lithium Sony konions onboard. I weigh 170lbs so that puts the total weight at 285 lbs. Top speed is 56mph and it will carry 30+ mph up STEEP grades. Accel is brutal and will be tested in the 1/8 mile at the drag strip in the spring.

So much fun to ride!! :p

DSC00170.jpg

VRdublove said:
My KMX tadpole trike weighs in at 115 lbs with 40.7V 21Ah (850wh) of Lithium Sony konions onboard. I weigh 170lbs so that puts the total weight at 285 lbs. Top speed is 56mph and it will carry 30+ mph up STEEP grades. Accel is brutal and will be tested in the 1/8 mile at the drag strip in the spring.

So much fun to ride!! :p

DSC00170.jpg

Really nice setup you have :wink:

One day... I may have the temptation to build a trike too.. the great feeling to be so close to the pavement at fast speed 8) and avoiding the risk of falling off the bike...

Doc

Um, Doc. If that rear wheel locks up you are going over no matter what, especially on a downhill! Maybe, if really lucky, and have low grip tires you will just spin out! I unfortunately, as you know , learned this from personal experience!
otherDoc

Doc2,

That's why I have a leaning delta trike with speed motors in both rear wheels developing in the back of my mind, for after this coast to coast thing is complete. I know for certain that the 56mph top speed will easily fall by the wayside and is why I'm opting for a delta config. I just don't have confidence in my build ability for a tadpole at high speed, but a delta is easy, and correct me if I'm wrong, more forgiving if I address cornering stability via the ability to lean.

John

You may be right, John in CR! More weight on the rear could cause a spin instead of a rollover, but the 3 wheel builders including leaning ones seem to be all tads! In either case, rear wheel lockup is REALLY BAD! You may remember "the old days" when American cars didn't have rear limiter valves on the back brakes. The manufacturers apparently didn't think....................... that we would need to stop fast! Spun in a heartbeat! No wonder they need bailouts!
otherDoc

55lbs.

Decent power.
Full suspension.

28.6 lb for Giant Trance dual suspension XC MTB
4.84 lb for the Cyclone kit (500w motor)
2.2 lb for motor mounting
3.74 lb rack
6.6 lb 24v 10AH LifePo4

45.98 lb total :)
9423_136046851575_572041575_3067765_443272_n.jpg

Diamondback, front suspension.
Elation chain drive 300w
24v 10 ah lifepo4
Total weight 23 kilos [ about 50lbs].

TransitionOne1-1.jpg

45 lb KMX Cobra
+
20 lb 44.4V,25ah LiPo battery
+
18 lb drive system and electronics

6.2kW, peaks at about 8kW
46 mph top speed on current gearing = On-road machine!
Big wheels and aluminum skidplate = Off road machine!

So fun!! :D :D

This reminds me I need to go weigh the thing. :|
But the current guesstimation based on various component weights is:
Bike frame/wheels/etc: 60 pounds
Battery: 50 pounds
Motor: 10-ish pounds
Me: 150 pounds
Total around 270 pounds.
Don't remember for sure, but on a flat I think I get around 6-7 seconds to 20MPH, without a headwind. Wasn't timing it or testing it for that, so need to actually do that. Also depends on how well I shift up, if I do it at the right times.
dsc01695.jpg

Got it on a bathroom scale (very difficult) on end, and it's about 30 pounds heavier than I thought. Not sure how I could have been that far off, but it's going to go on a diet over the next week or so.

http://electricle.blogspot.com/2009/09/bike-diet.html

Lost about 5 pounds today, taking out some of the middle frame struts, and condensing some of the wiring down. Also got a LOT more room in the central frame area. Not yet road tested like this; might need changes.

Managed to get rear brakes installed, though, while I had it apart. Nice to have them in addition to front brakes!

Still in progress, gotta swap out the really heavy shock fork for an old 10-speed aero fork. Which interestingly enough is still the same distance from the bottom of the headtube/crown to the dropouts as the 24" shock fork, even though it is from a 700C bike). Guess there is a lot of movement room in that shock fork. But first, I have to weld a tab across the fork to mount the brakes on, and temporarily use just some caliper brakes, until I decide if I'm going to keep using this fork, at which point I'll put some studs for linear pull brakes on there. It should save several pounds minimum without that shock fork.

See if I can move batteries to central frame instead of side trays, perhaps eliminiate side trays and save a pound or so (possibly cancelled out by whatever is used to hold batteries in central frame).

Bike - 24kgs / 52.8lbs with 44.4v 10ah lipo, 4.5kw

Me - 68kgs / 149.6lbs kitted to ride

Total = 92kgs / 202.4lbs

002 30.jpg

Mine totals about 55-60lbs. It was 65 with my old battery pack but I've since used a smaller one. I weigh a poultry 210 so I guess I weigh out at about 270 with everything.

My dual SLA equipped Ezip Trailz low step (girls bike)
On the scale at the scrap yard came in at 91lbs.
I have gotten 19mi with minimal pedal by strapping the batteries together in parallel.
It's down with controller or throttle problems, and the batteries are pretty poor.
Getting an IZIP Via Rapido - Mixte Frame Lithium bike, it's rated weight is 52lbs
I'll run it onto the same scale probably the first day I have it on the road.
I sure hope the range is better than a single 10Ah SLA, I don't have the $$$ for
another Lithium pack.

Front wheel:47 lbs
Rear wheel:74 lbs.

Me: 216 lbs

All up weight is 337 pounds

31kw
1.3kw nanotech pack

Farfle said:
Here's one, don't have any good ones Ion my phone

20121001_193555.jpg

Cool bike, Farfle. Where did you get those wonderful mirrors from?
otherDoc

Back