how much cost to grid-tie?

Right now I have net metering on my grid tie in. I am guaranteed it for 5 years, maybe more. My utility charges $.14/kWh for everything I use over my solar production. This is calculated on a monthly basis. If I generate more than I use. I get charged a $4.00 minimum usage fee. Once a year they do an accounting on my total use and production, then refund me only $.04 kWh for excess energy produced that year. I can see the minimum monthly fee doubling or tripling in the near future and net metering eliminated.

Without net metering (and state and fed rebates) going solar wouldn't make financial sense. In about 2-3 more years my system will be paid off so I will be able to buy one of Musk's batteries and do without any grid tie in if I have to.

I am going to buy a gen 2 Chevy Volt when they come out in a couple months. This will use up my excess power generation so maybe I am going to have to add one or two more panels. I might get away with what I have now. I hate having to pay that minimum monthly charge but won't mind paying a very small electric bill seeing as how I will be eliminating gasoline expenses.

BTW: the Volt will go about 5 miles per kWh. I will be driving <50 miles/day :mrgreen:

ricklearned said:
nicobie said:
BTW: the Volt will go about 5 miles per kWh. I will be driving <50 miles/day :mrgreen:

I have a 2013 Volt and I am lucky to get 4 miles/kWh. It all depends on how much you can or are willing to hypermile.

I'm sure that you are correct. I was just repeating what I have read about others experiences. I won't know for sure until about August, when I get my 2016. :mrgreen:

OP I'm not really up on the renewable energy thing but I think it would be cool to buy a Tesla Home Battery tie that in and charge the Home Battery with the solar and wind stuff. I don't even know if that is doable.

nicobie said:
ricklearned said:
nicobie said:

I have a 2013 Volt and I am lucky to get 4 miles/kWh. It all depends on how much you can or are willing to hypermile.

I'm sure that you are correct. I was just repeating what I have read about others experiences. I won't know for sure until about August, when I get my 2016. :mrgreen:

The guy who set the record distance on one charge in a Model S did it at 25mph on flat roads, no ac, very very few stops or lights and he averaged 188wh/mile. 4700w at 25mph

Back