How to make a throttle for a E-Goped

poza scooter.jpgpoza scooter 2.jpg

Guys,

After building an electric longboard I decided to make a conversion from brush to brushless with the Goped ESR 750H. Did couple of tests and all running well (used a radio from the longboard for the test - super uncomfortable but works).
The only issue is the throttle. Got the servo tester and and throttle (the ebay seller told that the throttle works with 24V circuits-not sure it this matters).

Followed the directions on the forum from couple if the threads and still no success. Tried connecting in all way possible and still it doesn't work. Went to the only hobby store in Manhattan and even those guys weren't able to help me with this throttle issue.

If anyone knows how to do it, could you please post some pictures with explanations on how to do it.

I am using HK 150A ESC, turnigy 3 way servo tester and the throttle shown in the pictures.

Thank you so much!
Vitali

I haven't done it in a long long time, but I learnt what to do on this thread.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12196

Oh, and can you take a decent close up of your modification to the servo tester. We can't see anything in the photos your have posted.

Good morning guys,

Here is the close up picture of the modified servo tester. I didn't solder the connections because I was trying up any possible way.

throttle.jpg

Does the motor run by just using the throttle tester? Spin the knob and check that first, before you use the throttle wires.
Yours looks to be wired correctly. I did one based on this:
escthrottle.jpg

Looks the same as yours, as long as there is a good connection. I would just solder it to be sure.
The throttles all seem to have a rainbow of colors for wires. It makes it hard to figure out what is what. Obviously you want the power, ground and signal wire hooked up. Other connections are for lights, power indicator. I am trying to work through another Razor MX setup and I'm struggling to figure it out myself. At least I have a known working servo tester to use.

I am going to re-solder the potentiometer back and see if the servo is working if not then I will order another servo. Maybe I burned something trying different combinations.
Do you know if the throttle has to be in the range of 1-5 V or it does not matter?

Your ESC may not get the right signal if the knob is turned too far, one way or the other. Just like if you turned on your ESC with the RC throttle pressed. Like I said, I would make sure you are spinning the motor first, before hooking up your Go ped throttle. Just plug in your ESC and turn the knob, see how it works that way first.

I placed the potentiometer over the board (with no solder connection - so perfect connection) and in manual mod when I turn the knob it does nothing. When I press to neutral the ESC beeps and after when I go to auto the wheels starts to spin with a stop every 4-5 seconds. So the servo works....I will re-solder the potentiometer and see if it spins the engine when I turn the know left/right. If it doesn't than maybe the servo is damaged and I will buy another one.

I will try to give it a kick as you mentioned.

Thank you so much for you suggestion.

Placed back the potentiometer and it works fine but it doesn't work without it. Don't know if the throttle is the problem. The other weird things is that I move have of the acceleration and no action and last 4-6 mm or 90 degree I get from slow to max acceleration. I was expecting to get more amplitude of the potentiometer.

I left my knob on, no need to remove it. Just be careful not to put it anywhere you will bump it. I had to figure out the wiring on a Razor throttle today. You will likely have to play around with them to get it to work. My throttle had two black wires, one thicker than the other (the thicker one worked). I tested all the combos until I got it right. Green or white is usually the signal wire. Took me about twenty minutes.
Keep trying.

Dirtdiggler,

Thank you so much for the reply. I will try with the potentiometer this evening. I hope I get it working!!!

How did you hook up the wires to the servotester? Likely should be red to positive, yellow to ground, and green to signal. Post a pic if you can. You have only nine options. Some times you need to turn the potentiometer to get the ESC to read the signal before it will work.

Back