How to steal a bike, maybe an e-bike, in the city.

I like this thread. SO I guess I need to hook 100v positive to one grip and negative to the other? And just make sure I dont touch it my self..... Hmmmm I almost just want to do this and sit and watch people fry from a far :mrgreen:

not enough delay. let him get on and up to about 10 mph, THEN taze him. and don't forget the video. or get really evil. put a transmitter on it, that sends a signal to your remote. then wait till he's in traffic. ps, i still like the seat taser idea. he'll hit the ground, and stay there. but maybe go with both, just to be safe. as for not touching it yourself, have the remote sending a constant signal, old school bluetooth style, 6 ft range, that disarms it.

ok, hence, the delay. with a small chirp. enough time for you to stop, get off, and physically disable it. or maybe you just plug the remote in, like a key.

+1. Fapworthy!

U-lock through the back spokes between the chainstays and seatstays. All they can do is carry the bike off (but mine weighs 80lbs-100lbs). I've been doing this for a year with no trouble... at school... store... outside of clubs... etc. etc.

I was going to rig up the infenion anti-theft wheel lock feature on my latest build. It's similiar to dogmans idea of connecting the phase wires, but will actively push against the wheel. Problem is it leaves the CA powered on, which would probably invite people to play with it. Better to just take 5 seconds to throw the u-lock on.

HAL has a set of relays that connect the phase cables. Oh, and it's activated by an RF fob on his key chain. All he has to do to turn on and unlock his bike is get within 5 feet of it. I love that guy.

That's what I'm working on... with RFID. I can only get a 3 inch range (5 feet!!!!!), but if the reader is mounted on the saddle and tag is in my wallet.. it should work out nice. using Fets to join the phases together is a simple idea I didn't think of... though my controller has the circuitry you speak of built in. I like having a shorter read distance, because then I can incorporate a sort of no-ass-off safety feature if the throttle is jammed or something.. no need for emergency stop

a guy on ebay is selling the radioshack branded parallax boards plus two tags for $10 shipped which is a steal if you want one... then arduino is another $25 and you have keyless entry. you can ask me for code

I don't understand the problem of carrying a 2lb u-lock to actually lock up your bike. On my road bike, I hate carrying it, but the ebike I never know it's there since, well, it's an ebike and 55lbs. It's not that hard to hoist 100lbs into a pickup truck in 5 seconds. No one would know the bike is being stolen, other than you.

If u-locks won't fit around any solid objects, there are many quality chain options.

It takes me about 5 seconds to lock my bike to a rack.

A few statements:

1. I've never really considered putting an e-bike on a rack on the bus since the bike is after all,....electric. But I suppose the combination can get us to the outstretch areas of the city (or other cities).

2. Yup, pulling the chain off the chain ring is probably a good idea. Most thieves probably don't know squat about bikes. This is also something you can do while waiting for the bus so you won't be slowing down the bus (driver). You could even lock it while you're at the bus stop.

3. Even in California, people don't steal bikes like that. It's too risky. I can't imagine that actually happening. Stealing the bike as the owner is boarding the bus? Why in such a hurry? Thieves can't afford the bus fare? If anything, the thief would get on and wait for at least a stop and hope that the bus driver doesn't remember (b/c he probably doesn't even care) that you're not the owner of the bike. The thief can just get off and take the bike as if it's his own. At the same time, you gotta hope the bike's real owner intends to stay on for more than a stop (which he probably will since he otherwise wouldn't have taken the bus). You could also easily eye the e-bike owner, b/c I'm willing to bet he's got his eye on the bike. If his eyes are too hot on you, you can just decide not to take the bike.

4. I think you guys are talking about stun guns - not tasers. Tasers are different than stun guns. Tasers shoot stuff out. Stun guns require contact with the person.

Back