HPC Revolution XXX

Just finally getting back to this project. Still in conceptual design stage, I'm now leaning towards the Revolt RV160S "short". I fired up CAD and drew this all to scale. It looks like at 165mm diam. the RV160S will fit nicely in the frame with enough room for a very conservative 108 x 18650's. I could probably double that number (or come very close) with a second bank on the width dimension. For now I'll design and get everything going on 72V 15000 mAh and see performance/gearing before any changes to V or Ah.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 3,734
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,734
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 3,734
I tried the 128mm BB, fits okay, but really tight for chain rings. Also a spacer was needed to keep the freehweel (White Industries, Sick Bike Parts) away from bottoming out on the BB as it is fairly wide. This lead to less threads on the BB bolt so I decided to stick with the 148mm. Also, received the following from Alexey at Revolt. They're getting closer (1-2 weeks) to finalizing production on the RV160 Pro Short. Weight will be approx. 5Kg.

Attachments

• RV-160-Sh.jpg
    RV-160-Sh.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,668
Subscribed :D

Emoto and I are using you as a test pilot we are both keen on the revolt 160 the big diameter should give lots of torque and better heat dissipation.

Cheers Kiwi

Just heard back Revolt has started production of the motors (160pro and short and the 120pro short). Alexey thinks they should be ready for sale in a week after some more testing. Unfortunately I have a different problem now. After assembling some more parts on the frame I noticed a small glitch. Spoke to HPC and they instantly said they'd replace the frame (the support is amazing! Thanks Chris!) so I need to do a bit more waiting before anything more can progress :( when the motor becomes available I will order one. Just not sure if it will be the 120s or 160s? The 160 will make things tight and will stick out the frame... Would it be overkill? Is there such a thing when talking about power?

Overkill? No way man. 160 Will be just perfect :twisted:
Do you think a Porsche Turbo owner ever thinks his motor is overkill? No it is perfect they say. You already got an amazing frame, now give it the power that bike deserves. :twisted: :twisted:

I can't argue with your logic there Mac. As soon as I wrote it I realized what I said, there's never enough power. I think I might just put in an order for the Pro 160s and figure how to fit it in and the rest of the details later.

Working with Alexey on the space issue, he mentioned a back mount 160Pro S. Here's what it would look like. This I can work with.

Attachments

• back mount.png
    back mount.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 3,473
Wow that 160 short looks better and better. Alex did a fine job getting it so slim. Still wondering about the peak/continuous power output, guess we will know in about a week.

He said the 120Pro was less powerful than the 160Pro-S, so we should see decent performance as I think I read some very positive reviews of the 120 series. 160Pro-S will be that much better hopefully.

Leeleeducati said:
Working with Alexey on the space issue, he mentioned a back mount 160Pro S. Here's what it would look like. This I can work with.

160 looks nutts... i think ill be geting one too (still haven't even used my 100pro yet!!)
Have a look at the last post in my norko thread - there's probably a better way to save space without having the sproket mounted on the opposite side of the motor - which might not be great for the bearings + require heavier plates to bolt it too to prevent flex.

file.php

Leeleeducati said:
He said the 120Pro was less powerful than the 160Pro-S, so we should see decent performance as I think I read some very positive reviews of the 120 series. 160Pro-S will be that much better hopefully.

sounds good - i'd be tempted to have it wound for a lower KV than stock - make it easier for a controller to run (higher resistance and inductance) even if it means sacrificing some power. At 5kg - if it can manage ~5kw continuous then I'd happily drop it to ~4kw (at the same voltage) to make it easier on the controller...

sn0wchyld said:
Leeleeducati said:

160 looks nutts... i think ill be geting one too (still haven't even used my 100pro yet!!)
Have a look at the last post in my norko thread - there's probably a better way to save space without having the sproket mounted on the opposite side of the motor - which might not be great for the bearings + require heavier plates to bolt it too to prevent flex.

file.php

Leeleeducati said:

sounds good - i'd be tempted to have it wound for a lower KV than stock - make it easier for a controller to run (higher resistance and inductance) even if it means sacrificing some power. At 5kg - if it can manage ~5kw continuous then I'd happily drop it to ~4kw (at the same voltage) to make it easier on the controller...

So snow what sorted of controller are you thinking?

Cheers Kiwi

Yep 4 kw would be an idea for the controller, although that frame would make a massive heatsink.
I'm thinking the rear drivetrain would be the main risk given the history of things like GNG 3 to 5kw units blowing out rear clusters.

kiwiev said:
sn0wchyld said:
Leeleeducati said:

file.php

Leeleeducati said:

So snow what sorted of controller are you thinking?

Cheers Kiwi

im using a max-e @ 20s. should be a blast :p

Well it seems that the adaptto max-e is almost a de facto controller for high power builds these days. There are other alternatives but as the motor is not produced and tested yet it is impossible to know what controller would work the best for this motors. Sabvoton, Kelly, Lyen etc may all work fine with this motor.

For the revolt 120 it seems there are a little tough to get peak power past 8-10 kw with the adaptto max-e, but that could for all I know be a matter of adjusting the controller different to better match the motor.

Leeleeducati said:
Could someone chime in and recommend a good controller for this 160ProS that would have good smoooth control at low speed?
I would suggest looking at sabvoton sine wave first, the throttle controlls the phase current = smoother have a read here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51485.
Lots of people using them with good results.

Emoto said:
Leeleeducati said:
Could someone chime in and recommend a good controller for this 160ProS that would have good smoooth control at low speed?
I would suggest looking at sabvoton sine wave first, the throttle controlls the phase current = smoother have a read here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51485.
Lots of people using them with good results.

That thread you linked to is dead I think. Tried to pm that kathy person but no answer and I see many more in the last page of the thread that also say the same thing. And to make things worst their new website is still "under construction" and have been for half a year.

I know Zombiess has some Sabvotons, maybe easier to get controllers from him then Sabvoton as they seems to be hard to reach.

Well send Zombiess a PM. He has a connection to them, and he sure can get a hold of them. I also think he stocks a few of their controllers so you might be able to get one from Zombiess directly. As mentioned earlier golden motor also have powerful controllers. Both sine wave and FOC (field weakening).

Attachments

• Golden_Motor_Controllers.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Leeleeducati
The sabvoton thread might be a bit slow...... but im sure a email to sabvoton will get a response. worked for me when cathy stop posting.
speedmd said:
This 160 looks killer for a light weight motorcycle (mid drive ebike). The Sab. looks like a very well made/ solid controller. RPM will be limited from what I understand. A larger version of the phase runner is on my wish list for it.

Very good point on the erpm there is a reference, in the thread i linked, from memory the slow kv of the rv's should be ok but not 100% on that a" pivotal question for zombiess''.
Speed there are some vids on utube of a sabvoton going through the ''auto hall timing sequence with the wheel off the ground very nice feature.
Also a nice bluetooth app you can program the controller with also has temp/speed ect was a bit buggy i nagged them to fix it.

You should send a PM to vito, about this controller. 25kw peak. Should light up that 160 good. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70258&p=1075236#p1075236, they also got Kelly controllers and sabvaton with good prices for ES members.

There have been some talk about a new updated version around the corner, one that will be slimmer for easier mounting. That APT controller looks mean & angry and ready to raise some hell.

Back