Hub On A 700 wheel

momo

100 W
I'm curious if anyone runs there motor on the larger 700 size wheels?
Always hear about 24's and 26" wheels. You get more speed using larger wheels
Whithout a hub motor.

We just get speed by putting more power into a motor. Higher volts makes the motor have a faster top speed.

By 40 mph or more, you tend to want tires with more traction than skinny road tires. The trend is to smaller wheels, because with a hubmotor a smaller wheel is like a lower gear, and you get torque for hills, or faster starts. So the really fast movers tend more and more to be on smaller wheels with fatter tires.

I've had 2 bikes that used 700C wheels. It has some advantages, but just as many disadvantages.
At 20-25mph on a perfectly smooth road they feel like the ideal wheel. and they should. 150 years of bicycle science is behind the 700c as being the ideal road wheel for those speeds and conditions on a human powered bike.

But not for a motor, and not at higher speeds. Things that make a good pedle bike don't always make a good electric bike. As you get faster, or travel on rougher roads, you'll come to appriciate smaller wheels turning larger tires. Smaller wheels accelerate better, and higher voltage or higher speed motor winds can give you faster bike speeds with a smaller wheel size.

Your top speed is only one aspect of a good bike design. traction, Braking, handling, acceleration, and ride comfort are all as important.

So how much speed are you looking for anyway?

Up to the 40 mph club, many of us are quite happy with 26" wheels. Mostly just because there are some nicer tire choices in 26" than there are in 700c.

I have everything from 15 mph to 45 mph in my fleet of bikes, but all but one have used 26" wheels so far. The fast mover is using a tire up in about 50-100 miles, or 25 miles on the track. Hence the comment about better tires for really fast.

Yes you guys are right. Haven't been able to find a good wide 700c tire.
Lately I find myself riding my regular pedal bike with 26" wheels long distances which is geared for speed. Thought of converting to 700 wheels and build a light weight ebike using a small
Hub motor to get me to 30mph on 10s. But at that speed the weight should be on the heavy side.
Maybe 25mph to get me back with less fatigue.

My 26" ebike rides great on 18s and wouldn't want thinner tires either.

After going back to my regular pedal bike my abs got really nice. There's no cheating
With the throttle lever. You guys know what I'm talking about.

Nothing really wrong with 30 mph on skinny tires. Just have to steer around potholes more than with a FS bike and fat tires.

Lots of people are going the way of the lightest possible motor, on a nice light road bike. If you have nice roads to ride on, it's gotta be great!

But really fast movers are just building small motorcycles more and more. Check out the 61 mph thread that appeared in the pics section this morning. :twisted:

I will say that almost 50 mph downhill on my tri bike with 21mm tires is frightening, but if you're only looking to go 30, like the last poster said, it's really not bad. I have 700C x 38 on my ebike, and I can't notice any difference with bumps.

How wide were you trying to go? 38 mm is the largest my frame will permit, but they definitely make mountain bike width tires for 700C wheels-- mountain bikers call them 29 in tires

My new bike is a 29er which uses 622xXX wheels, where "XX" is the rim width. Mine happen to be 20mm. Many road rims will be 17mm or so wide, which is too narrow to mount the wider, balloon tires.

622 is the same size as 700c. Some will say no, but it's true. There are many excellent choices for 622. I have 622x48 Continentals on right now, but will be receiving a pair of 622x60 (2.35") Schwable Big Apples today and will mount those.

I should be able to get the float I need for comfort with a larger contact patch for traction.

That said, I'm not looking for fast acceleration or blinding speed.

My trike has a 700c rear wheel with a 9C 2806 hub. It's pretty slow off the line, but on 12S LIPO it tops out around 33mph on the flats (with pedaling assist). Fastest I've had it was 38.4 mph, which was downhill and pedalling @ full throttle. I'm currently running a rear 700x35 vittoria randonneur, with 20x2.0 Schwalbe Marathons on the front.

Big apples are available in 700C. That solves the wide tire issues.

To bad for me, my rear triangle on the trike won't take a tire larger than 700x35mm and still allow a rear fender. (Road water sprays on to my head if I run without one!). This is why I just picked up a FS MTB to electrify. 33mph on skinny tires can get pretty bumpy when the bike lanes aren't maintained.

corkscrew said:
To bad for me, my rear triangle on the trike won't take a tire larger than 700x35mm and still allow a rear fender. (Road water sprays on to my head if I run without one!). This is why I just picked up a FS MTB to electrify. 33mph on skinny tires can get pretty bumpy when the bike lanes aren't maintained.

And this is the reason why I recently purchased a Marin Muirwoods with a steel frame that would allow balloon tires for my MAC 8T. My Diamondback with its 28mm 700c tires was positively scary at 35MPH...

Re speeds, hitting 30 mph, or 40 mph, even 50 briefly is one thing. It's another animal if the ride is going to be 30 miles every day, at 30 mph, though all the road trash, rocks, potholes, heat humped pavement.

People will say, look at bike racers, they descend those mountains on skinny tires at 50 mph. And,,,,, they put new ones on every single day.

So lots of us choose the 26", and some suspension, and either tough tires that last, or cheap tires that we change 4 times a year. It just makes a practical commuter, when the bike can take a real beating.

momo said:
Yes you guys are right. Haven't been able to find a good wide 700c tire.

The marketing term for them is "29 inch". You can get tires as wide as 700x60 at least-- mostly knobbies but a few street treads too.

Chalo

Yep, for the tire selection, start with a bike with 29 er rims. In general, the fatties might not fit into the frame of a skinny tire bike. The 29 er will tend to be just a MTB or single speed with wider frame clearance.

Back