• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hub seizing hard to push- roll looks good inside

I just keep coming back to that first post. You say something is shifting. If the axle has any wiggle, the bearings are loose.

But if not loose enough to rub, then the other likely culprit is the phases are shorted. This may be in the controller. Unplug the controller. Does anything change? there shouldn't be Then touch two phases. Any change? There better be. If not, you have a short in the phases. But again, the motor just doesn't look that toasty. Shorted controller sounds sorta likely now to me.

hey dan well being that ur pretty close by if u want i could probably bring the hub with me next time im around your area, im actually on my way there today to pick up my friend chris whos gonna be car shopping this week but it might be too short of a notice, but maybe that might be the easiest way for someone more familiar with these sorts of things to actually be ableto see what it feels like, i'm sure you must of had something similar since you even race these guys and thats much tougher than anything i would ever do, i might be there next weekend as well but not sure yet, luckily i still have my older ebike kit hub motor and i havent had any problems with that one so this guy hasnt delayed any of my electric flights so far, having to shuttle some ppl with car trouble last night at a family party made me trully appreciate how low maintenance and forgiving these hubs can be

thedarlington,

Have you really not yet done the very simple test for a phase wire short in the motor while disconnected from the controller? It's a fairly common failure especially after overheating, a phase short gives exactly your symptom, and it's about the easiest test in our arsenal.

Duh, that's right, you are just down in El Paso.

Give me a PM shout if you are going to be in town with it. Since I got sick I'm nearly always home by noon. I have the motor tester so we can look at everything for faults.

Bet you are pretty busy with spring break though.

busy but not with that this week we're already in school here while everyone got the past week off over there, what type of tester thing do you have? you can probably just eyeball the issue im sure you've had something similar in the past since you ride your motors much harder than i ever will, ill shoot you a pm and hopefully be able to figure out atleast what the problem could be atleast for reference next time someones motor is acting up this way

I have the motor, controller, throttle tester from Lyens. I also have a few spare covers around, so we could possibly test if a wonky cover is the problem.

I also have a motor I bought used from cycle 9, an x5 with incredible hard cogging. It runs, but something must be funky in those windings. tiny trickle of short I suspect. It's toasty brown.

Back