Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

thewmatusmoloki said:
But now I charge a carton of tooheys for a rear flat repair 8)

Bring on the puncture's !! :lol:
For us "Aussie-challenged" folks this is a toohey:
file.php

Sounds like a fair trade.

Attachments

• what is a toohey.jpg
    what is a toohey.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,212
nhendrix said:
Sounds like a fair trade.
I would have though a tyre change was more of a 6 pack job but if thewmatusmoloki can score a whole case for the job good luck to him! :lol:

$56 for a case of New though :shock:
That's one of the cheapest beers you can buy here! Although I guess it has novelty 'imported' status there.

While working on my next build (bazooka DH offroad bike) I've decided to revamp my commuter bike as by far it's what I ride the most. Aside from tidying up the wiring and making some neat side covers I'm adding some extra lighting, not to see with, but to be seen. Having had a few near misses on the road recent I figured some day time running lights world be in order, similar to those on Audi's and alot of other new cars now. I've combined that with the usual bicycle flashing white lights to put my own spin on it. It's KITT's litle ebike brother! :lol:
There's about 20 different flashing modes but I like the first one in the vid below the best.
It even comes with a remote so I can turn the lights on while the bike is parked and people are looking at it :lol:

[youtube]uiSUXqfsKwY[/youtube]

(yeah AussieJester, I know, I'm a flaming homosexual :p )

Another KITT style gadget going onto the bike will be a rear camera with a 3.5" LCD screen mounted on the handlebars. The wide angle camera mounted on the back of the bike will enable me to see the cars behind me and a little to each side simply by glancing down at the handlebars instead of turning around and looking right over my shoulder.
Yeah, I could fit a mirror, but where's the tech in that :p
(and the camera will give me a wider field of view)

Hyena said:
(yeah AussieJester, I know, I'm a flaming homosexual :p )

Fiiiinally...he comes out of the closet with lights blazing...or should that be scrolling :? :mrgreen:

Definitely suits the bike HiGHSiDE, complements the girlie streamers from the end of the bars the spokie dokies on the wheels and lets not forget the lovely arrangement of my little pony stickers that adorn your frock :mrgreen:

KiM

Hyena said:
It's KITT's litle ebike brother! :lol:
There's about 20 different flashing modes but I like the first one in the vid below the best.
It even comes with a remote so I can turn the lights on while the bike is parked and people are looking at it :lol:

Hi Hyena,

Here's the tune you should play on the next vid with those lights on :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo8Qls0HnWo

Seriously LED lighting is the way to go

Zenon

Hyena said:
Product Link? :)

Hyena, damn good idea on the LCD screen and camera for rear view.

With regards to your rear wheel coming loose I bought some Nordlock washers, so far the rear Chinese Toffee bolt has not come loose and that's with 2,500 Watt 9C in rear of Canandale with no torque arms. Must get some of those, but so far no twisting of the axle yet after 3 months.

+1 on the camera, Hyena! Where does one get such an item. It could replace this on my trike!

100_4768.JPG

otherDoc

amberwolf said:
product Link? :)
There's a few places selling them but this was the cheapest at the time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290469730044&viewitem=
Cheaper and easier than soldering up a still LED display!

This is the link to the 3.5" AV in LCD screen. I'd liked to have used my existing 3.5" GPS if I could have hacked it to do AV in (or got a cheap webcam to work on it via the USB input under the winCE 5 OS) but this one will do. I'm actually going to get another one or 2 for my house - one for my workshop and one for the kitchen. Not that I live in a bad neighborhood (at all) but they're cheap enough even as a gimmick. There's a hole in my kitchen wall where I removed an old obsolete phone socket - one of these will cover it nicely and is easier than patching and repainting the hole! :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320615600424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

You can use any old camera as an input, I tested mine with a small CCD I had laying around but the best bet would be to get one of the 170 degree wide angle reversing cameras - they're about $20

Spacey, what size bolts are you using ? I had a look at the local hardware for some nyloc nuts but couldn't find something with the right thread, they were all too fine for the fairly "chunky" thread of the axles

Hyena said:
I'm actually going to get another one or 2 for my house -

And half a dozen to scatter around the National Park behind his house to catch the fornicating couples i'm guessing... Link to video uploads pleeease :mrgreen:

KiM

I just ordered some Nord Locks that fit the axle for the 9C's, can't remember the size but man do they hold the bolt on tight. I am also trying to get hold of some steel axle bolts for the 9C as I just do not feel happy tightening the metal made out of cheese that seem to come from China lol.

Am also going to fit a LCD screen with a rear facing camera instead of a dorky rear mirror, also the Knightrider lights would be great for being seen at night.

Hmmmm upgrades upgrades upgrades.

Hyena said:
amberwolf said:
product Link? :)
There's a few places selling them but this was the cheapest at the time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290469730044&viewitem=
Cheaper and easier than soldering up a still LED display!

This is the link to the 3.5" AV in LCD screen. I'd liked to have used my existing 3.5" GPS if I could have hacked it to do AV in (or got a cheap webcam to work on it via the USB input under the winCE 5 OS) but this one will do. I'm actually going to get another one or 2 for my house - one for my workshop and one for the kitchen. Not that I live in a bad neighborhood (at all) but they're cheap enough even as a gimmick. There's a hole in my kitchen wall where I removed an old obsolete phone socket - one of these will cover it nicely and is easier than patching and repainting the hole! :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320615600424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

You can use any old camera as an input, I tested mine with a small CCD I had laying around but the best bet would be to get one of the 170 degree wide angle reversing cameras - they're about $20

Spacey, what size bolts are you using ? I had a look at the local hardware for some nyloc nuts but couldn't find something with the right thread, they were all too fine for the fairly "chunky" thread of the axles

Ah Spacey I didnt realise they were just washers, I thought they were new nuts.

Speaking of bolt failure though, I got a nasty new years eve present yesterday - riding home I jumped a gutter near my house going quite slow and the bolt holding my seat on to the post sheered off. The seat flew up and whacked me in the nuts, which needless to say wasn't a pleasurable experience. No other issues or damage luckily, I just picked up the seat and the clamps off the ground and will chase up a new bolt when bunnings opens back up tomorrow. Luckily i was close to home and didnt have to be seen riding around on a bike with no seat :lol:

Happy new years guys

GCinDC said:
ugh, the seat falling off is my nightmare. that and a pedal falling off while standing at high speed.

maybe an excuse for the wife not to go for #3 tho.... :lol: or however many it takes to get a girl! :lol:

ROFL ... damn unlucky to get hit in the tool box Hyena, being such a small target and all :p :mrgreen:

KiM

Amusing story from today, followed by sadness tonight.

Riding home 2 streets from my house I passed an old lady walking her dog. She must have been atleast 70 and this massive dog looked like some sort of black german shepherd crossed with, I dunno, a small horse (it's back came up to her waist)
When I say I passed her, I was minding my own business, doing about 60km/hr on the road while she was on the grass. Well, this dog went MENTAL right as I got level with them and launched at me, dragging the poor old bat straight into a row of garbage bins. I was going too fast to see if it was her or the dog that knocked the bins over :lol: :lol:

Now, if you believe in karma, read on...

I was just taking a photo of my series/parallel lipo connections for someone who PM'd me asking for help and somehow I caught the strap on my bloody $2000 DSLR and yanked it staight into the concrete floor of my workshop. The $500 lens broke into 3 pieces and while the body apparently still takes photos (using a different lens) the screen is smashed so I can't see a thing.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm very happy to report I managed to fix my lens after hours of "surgery". Damn there's some intricate shit in there! I've ordered a replacement LCD off ebay,if that manages to fix it I'll dance an irish jig :p

Back on topic, my battery is bigger than your battery :p
Check out this whopper - 72v 16ah LiFePO4. Everyone likes a biggen :lol:

No progress on my other projects at the moment, I built a 12S lipo bike for my dad for christmas and have been spending a bit of time riding with him while he's down from interstate. He had major heart bypass surgery under 3 months ago so he's very happy to be up and riding around.
Hmmm, ebikes as rehab, I see a new target audience... :lol:

Hyena said:
72v 16ah LiFePO4.
how retro.

nice work on the DSLR, macgyver.

yeah, the baby boomer generation are ripe for ebikes, especially in places like florida. they need the exercise, the help, and have the cake...

gotta be plug and play tho... :lol:

GCinDC said:
Hyena said:
72v 16ah LiFePO4.
how retro.
haha yeah IRON phosphate will never find its way onto one of my own bikes (its for someone else)

People have been calling my Macgyver since highschool. It's amazing what you can actually fix with a paper clip and a roll of duct tape! (especially on ebikes :lol: )

Hyena said:
I'm very happy to report I managed to fix my lens after hours of "surgery". Damn there's some intricate shit in there! I've ordered a replacement LCD off ebay,if that manages to fix it I'll dance an irish jig :p

HiGHSiDE_Hyena_-LORD_OF_THE_DANCE_1.jpg

:mrgreen: :p

Hope you get the camera fixed mate, i would have been PiSSSSED

KiM

haha the 2011 photoshop season has begun! :lol:

While waiting for the paint to dry on my bazooka frame (in the other thread) I dragged out another project for 5 minutes of work. I've never been one to completely finish one project before starting the next :?

scooterg.jpg

I picked up 2 of these scooters cheap on ebay. Arguably they should have been junk pile finds as they're pretty rusty but it's only light and will require minimal work to tidy up. I have a 16" cast alloy rim motor on the way which will go on the back and I'll either run the plastic wheel on the front or another 16" steel one I have. I'm leaning towards the steel one so I can atleast run some front rim brakes on it.
I don't plan to be breaking the sound barrier on this thing, it'll likely only do ~30km/hr but I'd still like to be able to stop from those speeds using something other than the friction of my body on the road!

I'll use it to take away with me when travelling for work and it's not practical to take my bike - which sadly is most of the time. Hopefully I can take this thing on a plane without having to disassemble and box it like I would with a bike. At a minimum I'll be able to throw it in the boot of my car for convenient EV scooting about when away from home.

I only got one of the tubes sanded back before getting called away but I think she'll come up OK. I'm not sure what battery I'll run on it yet - maybe a single 5ah 10S nanotech, or a 5ah 12s pack. I won't be going too far so I don't need hugely long range.

On an unrelated note, Greg was asking about the workshop in my new house so here's what I've set up so far. I've still got a bit to do but this is pretty functional so far.

I have a double garage + 4 bar carport so plenty of room for projects :twisted:
My main workshop is in the front 1/3 of one side of the garage. That's where I do most of my electronics stuff

inside bench.jpg

I also have a 'dirty' outside bench for cutting, grinding etc and working on whole bikes with plenty of room to move. Because my 'clean' workshop is up against one of the roller doors on the garage though I can still wheel a bike in to work on it there if needs be but outside is high and dry even in the pouring rain.

outside-bench.jpg
(disregard the silly ICE dirtbike :p )

Oh, and this is where the house sits in relation to the national park - miles of fire trails right at my back door. That's the other reason I bought it. Well, that and it's a nice house :p

house.jpg

In other house related news, as I type I'm having 11 of these 190w bad boys installed on my roof( 2.1kw system)
I JUST got in under the old nsw 60c/kw buy back scheme before the government axed it.
My bikes will now be totally free to run, nice :mrgreen:

solarpanels.jpg

OH, and I managed to fix my DSLR that I dropped and smashed the other day. Total cost - $35 in parts and 5 hours of my time. Happy days!

*Hyena dances irish jig*

:p

Back