Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Hyena said:
...The 8ah zippys would be ideal if they didn't sag like an old pair of tits!

would you have personnal experience feedbacks on one or each of that ? :lol: I just ordered few ones (zippy big tits :wink:

dan974 said:
Hyena said:
...The 8ah zippys would be ideal if they didn't sag like an old pair of tits!

would you have personnal experience feedbacks on one or each of that ? :lol: I just ordered few ones (zippy big tits :wink:

After 3.9V the sag factor on my 10s 2kw board was noticble. Running 2P helps...

H was just saying that in a compact 1P build (where it's all about weight minimization) he is better of going something with a high C

I got 6s 8ah nano techs if you want to test out next time im around.

It's the kind thing you would do with such a build, call it the sofia vergara over keira knightley of C ratings.

dan974 said:
Sadly my day job has given me the experience to talk discuss this with authority :lol:

t3sla said:
I got 6s 8ah nano techs if you want to test out next time im around.
Yeah I'll probably end up paying a premium for international shipping to get a few of those. Money well spent on a daily ride like this.
Who can complain when the cost of shipping is a weeks petrol :)

It's the kind thing you would do with such a build, call it the sofia vergara over keira knightley of C ratings.
I can't say I'm familiar with the former, but mmmmmmm, Keira Knightly

GCinDC said:
stay stiffer longer...
Wait, are we still talking about Keira ? :mrgreen:
OK stop it, this is family show :p
But yeah, the higher C rates should hold up their voltage for longer, especially given the modest load we put on them in ebike use. I've found the 8ah zippys to be a bit disappointing though. I hadnt used them prior to putting them in my fighter but found that noticable sag became evident after only a month or so of use. Considering it's an 18ah pack the current draw rarely goes over 4C and is mainly only 2C.

Also an interesting datapoint, the 25C zippys I have on my above white bike had only about a dozen cycles on them when I decommissioned that bike a year ago. I never intended for them to sit there for that long so never discharged them, so they sat at full charge for 12 months. When I tested them last week all cells were 4.17v except for 1 that was 4.09v. I kicked it back into line after 10 minutes on my BC168 and the packs have held perfect balance for 20 cycles since. The sag on that pack is noticable considering number of cycles on it, but I guess age plays a part too. The max I've drawn from it is 7.5ah (of 10ah capacity) at which point it was sagging to 3.5v/cell average with a 2C current draw. If not for the age I'd not expect to see this sort of sag on a pack with this number of cycles on it until it'd given up about 9.5ah.
I wasnt running any cell level monitoring (cover your ears noobs/lipophobes :p) but when I measured it at rest every cell in the pack was 3.69-3.71v. Thats pretty impressive balance.
I normally set my CA LVC at 3.5v/cell because as above it normally doesn't hit that until 95% capacity but I suspect this pack will keep delivering at a lower voltage until close to its rated capacity. I'll have to throw some cell logs on it when I get a chance and take it for a longer discharge test just to see.
My very first lipo pack had horrible sag, supposedly 15C cells but were about 3C in reality with huge internal resistance. These were early gen lipo in the pre-hobby king days, the ones that people were right to be scared of catching on fire and that would become almost too hot to touch after 5C discharge. It'd set off for work and 30 seconds later the cells would be at 3.3v. Rediculously saggy as they were they still delivered 90% of their rated capacity at this level so really it was only costing me a little top speed. And compared to the SLAs I'd just replaced they were welcome to do what ever they liked!

Damn, how did I get talking about all this ?! :lol:

Hyena said:
I can't say I'm familiar with the former, but mmmmmmm, Keira Knightly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDgiIUklAQ

Jay. Jay...Jaaaaay.... lol.

Is there a logical explanation to the voluptuosity.

ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 5S1P 30C
Weight: 1054g
8000/1054=7.59 mAh per gram

Dimensions: 170x69x44mm
Volume 516120 cubic mm / 8000 = 64.5 mAh cubic mm

ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 5S1P 30C
Weight: 740g
5000/740= 6.76 mAh per gram

Dimensions: 149x51x46mm
Volume 349554 cubic mm / 5000 = 69.9 mAh cubic mm (mildly interesting, maybe more of a packing related element)

I'm actually not sure what i'm trying to prove, when you factor in more lamination material. :oops:

Long story short, weight correlates to C factor and I can't mathematically prove that they put a weaker lighter compound in the 8ah pack which would explain there crap factor.

End of the day when it comes to batteries go with what is produced in largest volume, because one of the most critical elements of any battery is manufacturing quality which is refined through production volume.
That's the only rational I have for 5ah outperforming 8ah :cry:

By that logic it's best to get the paris hilton of batteries, so I'm thinking the analogy system we are using is now broken.

look alot more like how I've customised mine. Co-incidence ?

Looking at the photos on the Stealth Face Book, they are using a different hub motor on the Fighter now. Its black, not gray, 40xx? Don't know what the wind it is though. Also they have dual crown forks and coil spring which someone had posted a while back. Yah, it reminds me of your Fighter. Hopefully someone will post some specs when they get one. I am sure curious.

Rick

Rix said:
Looking at the photos on the Stealth Face Book, they are using a different hub motor on the Fighter now. Its black, not gray, 40xx? Don't know what the wind it is though. Also they have dual crown forks and coil spring which someone had posted a while back.
The motors were always black, except for the first few. Al (who works there) has been running dual crown fork and coil shock for nearly 2 years on is own Fighter. And he can ride 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4resnD2u1A

full-throttle said:
Rix said:
Looking at the photos on the Stealth Face Book, they are using a different hub motor on the Fighter now. Its black, not gray, 40xx? Don't know what the wind it is though. Also they have dual crown forks and coil spring which someone had posted a while back.
The motors were always black, except for the first few. Al (who works there) has been running dual crown fork and coil shock for nearly 2 years on is own Fighter. And he can ride 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4resnD2u1A

FT,
Was that guy riding the Fighter into the back of the flat bed trailer in the video Al? That Figher has the old style frame which from what I learned from Kepler about his Bomber is the old style frame Stealth used around the Headways cells. That fighter with the dual crown forks and the coil shock riding in the company of Bombers could easily be mistaken for a Bomber. I missed it the first time I viewed the clip but caught in on the second viewing. The giveaway was the Schlumpf crank/bottom bracket after he rode up into the flat bed trailer. Also, (if that was Al) is he a trials rider? When he rode into the back of the flat bed trailer, his technique appeared to me to have a flare of trials skill based on his body positioning, weight distribution centered between front and rear, balls of feet on the pedals like they were foot pegs, knees bent, back arched, shoulder sqaured, head up, looked where he wanted to go, not where he was at, all screams trials rider or good technical rider. I am leaning towards trials background. Anyway I don''t have any experience with the HT/HS35 motors, but all of the ones i have seen being sold from vendors stateside have gray covers. On this thread a while back, Hyena posted pics of a 4080 next to the 3540. With out sticker on the hub shell telling me whats what, the hub flange on the 4080 was as wide as the stator shell. On the 3540, the flanges were not as wide as the stator shell. Ironically the outside overall width of the stator shells on both appeared to be the same in the picture. Did the HT/HS35xx series change since then?

Rick

Yep, thats Al. He would have built your Bomber :) And yes he is an ex trials rider.

You really do need to look twice to pick the difference in an old Fighter and a new Bomber. Have a look on the first page of the Stealth thread. Voice Coil's bike is an old style Fighter.

Yes Al's the most skilled rider I've ever seen...technical magic. I think we need to see more Al videos 8)

John I can hardly tell the difference between old & new...the rear shock strut is slightly different, not much else?

Kepler said:
Yep, thats Al. He would have built your Bomber :) And yes he is an ex trials rider.

You really do need to look twice to pick the difference in an old Fighter and a new Bomber. Have a look on the first page of the Stealth thread. Voice Coil's bike is an old style Fighter.

Hey John, was that the guy in your video riding wheelies on your fighter just after you finished it? Ex trials rider, no wonder Stealth has such an awesome product line, with this kind of R&D talent on hand, any weaknesses would be found quickly and addressed. Next time you see Al, tell him thankyou for building my Bomber.

Hyena, saw your video posted on the Stealth Facebook sight. Thats awesome public awarness for your super Fighter. When you put the large disk brakes on your Fighter, were the caliper brackets for the fork and swing arm custom made to fit or did you use some spacers and longer bolts? Also, my dad is considering building his own ebike on a recumbant frame, I told him about your Hadron kit, do you export those out of Australia? No sure how serious my dad is about the build, but he asked me to do some ebike conversion kit research for him.

Rick

t3sla said:
I'm actually not sure what i'm trying to prove, when you factor in more lamination material.
haha yeah I was wondering where you were going with that, waiting for a dramatic punchline but then it fizzed out :lol:
The 8ah form factor is definitely pretty cool / convenient but when making size/volume/weight comparisons there's also an undisclosed quality factor that's often hard to qualify. For the longest time we had 25C zippy and turnigy packs and they were good. And then the lord did giveth us nanotechs and it was a revelation. And now there's nano-tech a spec, and so on and so forth. As has been suggested in other threads, alot seemingly comes down to the quality of the slurry used to make the lipo cells. Note we're talking about different slurries than before :lol:

Rix said:
Looking at the photos on the Stealth Face Book, they are using a different hub motor on the Fighter now. Its black, not gray, 40xx?

These are the 2 colours of H35 crystalyte motors I've seen, the dark gunmetal colour is the standard which they call RAL9700 (I'm guessing that's the paint code), the other standard silver is less common, though not so much so that I don't have one in my possession :p
The H40s are gloss black and may or may not be finding their way onto certain fighters now :wink:

Rix said:
(if that was Al) is he a trials rider? When he rode into the back of the flat bed trailer, his technique appeared to me to have a flare of trials skill based on his body positioning, weight distribution centered between front and rear, balls of feet on the pedals like they were foot pegs, knees bent, back arched, shoulder sqaured, head up, looked where he wanted to go, not where he was at, all screams trials rider or good technical rider. I am leaning towards trials background.
Wow you took alot more out of that video than I did, I just saw a guy with good balance riding a bike into a trailer :lol:
But yeah, if I had Al's skill my videos would be more interesting!

Rix said:
Hyena, saw your video posted on the Stealth Facebook sight
Heh someone's been keeping track :)
I actually forgot to even spam the vid to the stealth thread here, I'll go do that now :p

When you put the large disk brakes on your Fighter, were the caliper brackets for the fork and swing arm custom made to fit or did you use some spacers and longer bolts?
I'm only running 8s on the back - you don't need the extra power on the rear IMO as they lock too easily as is.
The fronts are hayes stroker ace from zero motorcycles in the US. I believe they've upgraded to moto spec brakes now but on the earlier models they used these. You can actually buy a hayes 9C kit that comes with the 9" rotor and a suitably sized caliper adaptor. I'm on the look out for bigger ones though now. Just because :twisted:

Also, my dad is considering building his own ebike on a recumbant frame, I told him about your Hadron kit, do you export those out of Australia? No sure how serious my dad is about the build, but he asked me to do some ebike conversion kit research for him
I could do but the shipping cost would be rude. I'll shoot you a PM with some options.

Hyena said:
Wow you took alot more out of that video than I did, I just saw a guy with good balance riding a bike into a trailer :lol:

That's a very small sample of Al's skills. Besides building Stealth's, he's master of the *long* power wheelie or any other type for that matter. He also seemingly glides through really technical trails, smooth flowing and FAST. Your vids are always entertaining, cool mounts, nicely edited and show excellent skills too.

Hyena, I knew something was going on with Al, from 86-92 I raced enduros and eventually competed AA. Same catagory that Australia's Shane Watts did but a several years before his time. I even posted faster times then some letter of intent riders in a couple of ISDE qualifiers. Never made it to 6 days though, didnt have the financial support so I quite racing :cry: . Thats probably why I was able to recognize something with Als background in that clip. I am running the Hayes 9" technically is 224mm disk on the front of my bomber with the gator caliper. Stops really well. I agree with you about the rear. Any brake capable of locking up the rear wheel is good enough. Doesn't matter if its a 7, 8, or 9" rotor as long as it can stop the rear wheel on command. Like I said, my dad is tossing the idea around of ebiking his recumbant. I will let you know.

Rick

remf said:
Besides building Stealth's, he's master of the *long* power wheelie or any other type for that matter. He also seemingly glides through really technical trails, smooth flowing and FAST.
Clever move by stealth employing him, he could probably make a $100 huffy look good :lol:
Your vids are always entertaining, cool mounts, nicely edited and show excellent skills too.
Thanks mate. I wouldn't say I have much in the way of skills though! Just what ever I've picked up along the way.

Rix said:
86-92 I raced enduros and eventually competed AA. Same catagory that Australia's Shane Watts did but a several years before his time. I even posted faster times then some letter of intent riders in a couple of ISDE qualifiers.
Nice, time to get yourself a gopro then and posting some videos!

Speaking of gopros, I wish I had mine on this morning, I had an interesting run in with a mental woman in traffic.
1 main lane of traffic with a short left lane primarily for left turns (room for about 4 cars) I rode up past the stream of stopped traffic and stopped behind the car at the front of the intersection. He had his left blinker on so I pulled up behind him to drive off straight ahead once the lights had changed and he'd made his turn. The woman behind him (going straight ahead) who I was in front of starts yelling out the window and abusing me saying to get off the road and to wait in line like everyone else. I quite vocally told her to pull her head in. Ironically and hypocritically she had jumped into that left lane to try and be first off at the lights (after this other guy) to get ahead of where she'd otherwise be. She revved up her car and moved right up onto the bumper of the car in front, like it would prevent me from being there or something :roll: The lights changed and I rode off at full speed (albeit not so dramatically as I was on my low powered commuter) and she swerves past me, cutting off the guy along side her and then speeds away.
I quickly caught up with her in traffic as she couldn't maintain the high speed in a built up area and I could see her waving her hands around at me in the mirror. As she came to a stop with traffic in front she moved right over to block me from getting past her and the lane of parked cars. I quickly went up the gutter and around, then back down onto the road right in front of her, giving her a smile and the longest "salute" as I continued on down the road. She was so pissed and laid on the horn which made me laugh to myself about it all the more. What a nut case.

Hyena said:
Speaking of gopros, I wish I had mine on this morning, I had an interesting run in with a mental woman in traffic...
People like that are literally driving themselves to a heart attack, and I say let them push the accelerator to the floor. No good comes from a frustrated person recklessly piloting a 2 ton killing machine, keep your hand on the throttle when dealing with that kind.

MattyCiii said:
Hyena said:
Speaking of gopros, I wish I had mine on this morning, I had an interesting run in with a mental woman in traffic...
People like that are literally driving themselves to a heart attack, and I say let them push the accelerator to the floor. No good comes from a frustrated person recklessly piloting a 2 ton killing machine, keep your hand on the throttle when dealing with that kind.

Couple months back I had a similar experience. First contact was someone tooting there horn behind me then I set her into a rant after I pulled up beside her at the lights.

It didn't help when I beat her off at the lights with her winding down the passenger window continuing her abuse

Yeah the funny thing was I wasn't even riding like a jerk, I was just pedalling along at about 40km/hr. And it's not even like I was holding her up (in fact I didnt encounter her until she was already stopped in traffic) and the road is a wide single lane with parked cars and still room for both a bike and car to pass in each direction. I've been riding along there without incident for years. She's obviously just a maniac. When people lose their shit over nothing like that though it's a worry as to how far they'd go. Sure people road rage but would she actually try to hit me ? Or open a door as I went past ? It's cases like these where I'd feel much safer on my stealth fighter knowing I could more quickly evade or power away. Or do a little mono and park my front wheel on her back bumper :twisted:

Sounds like a crazy bitch!
I got beeped yesturday morning 'cos I was in the middle of the lane at a red light(no cars behind me) then a few cars lined up and as I took off I stayed in the middle of the lane for safety,the ute behind me beeped at about 30kph but then I got up to 60 and he must have realised I won't hold him up. Ended up leaving him behind anyway.

Man Jay, that girl sounds like a wack job. Its funny to see that it doesn't matter what part of the world all of us ebikers ride in, we have the same problems with the same type of people. I could write a book on the road rage I see but its all ready been mentioned. Bottom line is, there is only one thing to do about road ragers, smoke em and piss them off even more :mrgreen:

Rick

Hey Jay(and others), with your ebike experience how would you say is the safest or best way to ride on the road? I sit on the right tire line in the left lane so I look more like a motorcycle to help ppl predict my speed at a glance. Going 60kph... some times go right lane if traffic is slow in left. And usually go to front at red lights, then blast off in front.
Thoughts?

Hyena said:
Yeah the funny thing was I wasn't even riding like a jerk, I was just pedalling along at about 40km/hr. And it's not even like I was holding her up (in fact I didnt encounter her until she was already stopped in traffic) and the road is a wide single lane with parked cars and still room for both a bike and car to pass in each direction. I've been riding along there without incident for years. She's obviously just a maniac. When people lose their shit over nothing like that though it's a worry as to how far they'd go. Sure people road rage but would she actually try to hit me ? Or open a door as I went past ? It's cases like these where I'd feel much safer on my stealth fighter knowing I could more quickly evade or power away. Or do a little mono and park my front wheel on her back bumper :twisted:

Eh, she was probably mad at something else and lashed out onto you.

It's pretty common these days, always good to frock with them and calmly ask 'who you really mad at?'

Or it was shark week :shock:

pendragon8000 said:
Hey Jay(and others), with your ebike experience how would you say is the safest or best way to ride on the road? I sit on the right tire line in the left lane so I look more like a motorcycle to help ppl predict my speed at a glance. Going 60kph... some times go right lane if traffic is slow in left. And usually go to front at red lights, then blast off in front.
Thoughts?

Its really about being visible. The number one reoccuring statement I hear from drivers in vehicle vs bicycle accidents is visibility. Every driver I have interviewed says the same thing, "I didn't see the bicycle". Sometimes its the bicyclists fault, such as traveling the opposite direction of traffic and bicyclist failing to yeild to vehicles at controled intersections, stuff like that, but most of the time the driver is negligent or DUI. To answer your question, try to imagine how you look from drivers perspectives, and then ask youself, where should I ride that would maximize my visibility? Another no brainer is to move slightly faster than traffic flow. Think about it, you are driving in your car and you see a bicycle pass you, every body sees that. A car passes you, not as big of a deal. For what ever reason when you have a bunch of seperate objects moving together and one object is doing it much faster, that object becomes the most noticable object. This applies to motorcycles also. The one thing I avoid at all cost is being between two vehicles. I have no brake lights or headlights. Being a small object (by traffic stanadards) I would get rear ended because of the amount of people here driving HUA (head up ass) or DUI drugs/alcohol huffing agents. The downside of living in a state with 24/7/365 day a year party going on where gambeling and prostitution are legal business.

Rick

Rix said:
The downside of living in a state with 24/7/365 day a year party going on where gambeling and prostitution are legal business
Yes I imagine if a driver is taking advantage of legal prostitution it could put bicycle riders at significant risk :lol:
Rix raises a good point though, we can do everything we can to ride safely and visibly but if you get someone who's drugged or drunk or just mental then all bets are off. You could get killed walking on the footpath by these same people but being on the road increases that risk.
In general though if I'm mixing it up with traffic I ride to make myself as visible as possible and position myself on the road such that the onus is on me to brake or get out of traffics way. If I'm behind or along side a car I ride as if I'm invisible. But as Rix said I try to avoid being along side cars. In traffic I sit off their back quarter so if they swerve across they can't hit me and if they suddenly brake I need to as well and possibly have a little extra stopping distance up the inside. I avoid overtaking traffic on the inside unless it's slow moving on a straight road with no where to turn. Going up the inside of a slow moving car approaching a side street is a big gamble! In a perfect world where everyone used blinkers this would be less of an issue, but yeah, it aint!

If I'm riding at car speed I'll take the lane but the majority of the time I'm on the road I'm pedalling along assisted at around 40km/hr (which is around what most lycras ride at so cars *should* be used to this) in which case I keep left to stay out of their way (at the risk of getting car doored)

This is a good segue to mention my ride today. I got my H4065 wheel back from glowworm yesterday all nice and trued so took it out for a good run today to the local dirt bike playground. I've not been there before and it's not really the sort of tracks I like as it's very open and rutted (you need big tyres and suspension to ride at all fast) but it was good for a change. A few dirt bikes were buzzing around and I had a good chat to a few blokes who were super impressed when I flew by silently as they unloaded their pit bikes.

Anyway getting back to the car thing, this is how you should treat cars on an ebike :mrgreen:

Hyena-car2.jpg

Back