Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Can supplementation help your Ostioporosis problem? Either way, just ride carefully, pretend you are riding with out a helmet on. Yah, like in Yosemite, we took it easy....most of the time.

Yeah I'm on supplements, plus monoclonal antibody injections to try and boost bone growth. It's normally used in post menopausal women with osteoporosis, which Aussie Jester would have a field day with if he still frequented the forums :lol:

It's been ages since I posted a vid so here's one I recorded a while back of a friend getting his first taste of what a high powered ebike is like. I think he'd ridden a 750w golden motor kit previously so naturally the next step up was my tame 10kw beast :twisted: The video doesn't show alot but I'm sure we can all relate to the excitement in his voice when we think back to our first high powered ebike ride :)

[youtube]U4V6nF0lCCQ[/youtube]

We miss AJ, so I'll pick up some slack for him. It's good to hear you're healing up. Aren't you pretty young though to be hitting menopause already? Thank goodness the frocks haven't had the same effect on me. :D

It's sounds like your test rider was having a blast. It's a whole new world to have a throttle actually control your bike instead having so little power that the throttle is used as a go/no-go switch.

Hey it's John in CR. Good to see some of the old names still around. I dont get online as much as I used to but it seems we've lost a few people over the years.
Now stop it you brute, you're giving me hot flashes :p

And yeah, responsive, proportional throttle control is great. Programmable throttle curves and silky smooth and silent sinewave controllers really are a great step forward. Not that the old square wave controllers were noisy, especially next to chain drives, but I love the way they move away, like you're perched on top of a hill and have just let your brakes off :)

John in CR said:
We miss AJ, so I'll pick up some slack for him. It's good to hear you're healing up. Aren't you pretty young though to be hitting menopause already? Thank goodness the frocks haven't had the same effect on me. :D

It's sounds like your test rider was having a blast. It's a whole new world to have a throttle actually control your bike instead having so little power that the throttle is used as a go/no-go switch.

What John said. That was refreshing to see that kind of giggling. Good for Ben.

Hyena said:
Hey it's John in CR. Good to see some of the old names still around. I dont get online as much as I used to but it seems we've lost a few people over the years.

And yeah, responsive, proportional throttle control is great. Programmable throttle curves and silky smooth and silent sinewave controllers really are a great step forward. Not that the old square wave controllers were noisy, especially next to chain drives, but I love the way they move away, like you're perched on top of a hill and have just let your brakes off :)

I'm sure torque throttle is a step up, but I was referring to the guy riding a high power bike vs what he was accustomed. With low power ebikes you just twist it to WOT and zip away. Do that with high power, especially on an MTB type wheelbase and saddle position, and you end up on your back.

John in CR said:
Hyena said:

I'm sure torque throttle is a step up, but I was referring to the guy riding a high power bike vs what he was accustomed. With low power ebikes you just twist it to WOT and zip away. Do that with high power, especially on an MTB type wheelbase and saddle position, and you end up on your back.

Yes you do.

Another new video, I'm going through my old footage and churning out some clips.

Ebikes can go many places dirt bikes can't, but sometimes it's fun to ride together on their turf :)

[youtube]a5NEOlFstF4[/youtube]

At least he wasn't wearing thongs! (flip flops)

OK, here's my latest build - slowest, lowest powered ebike build to date. But also the one I get the most enjoyment out of watching the new owner ride it ;)

It's graduation day for my eldest son Riley, time to put the kids toys behind him and move onto a motorbike :twisted: I made sure he earned his stripes first on a normal push bike before moving onto motoring around, and he still rides his pushie daily. Of course I couldn't have him on a normal petrol bike, that just wouldn't be right.
So I got him this little beauty from the local dirt bike shop. It runs a little unite/currie style 500w motor with a 24v lead acid pack. I got it a little cheaper minus the battery as needless to say that promptly would have went in the bin anyway.

View attachment 3

I opened the controller and it had 50v caps so figured it'd be OK with an undercharged 12S lipo pack. For a few laps of the street it survived before popping. And when I say survived I mean it went like a shower of shit! I went straight into ES / hyena overvolt mode without even considering the whole power:weight ratio thing. It turns out 1500w is a shitload of power for a 20kg kid :lol:

So I bought a new 36v controller (brushed, how retro!) this time thinking it'd have more overheads but when I opened it the components inside were just the same. Ah well, 36v will be plenty for him for the mean time, and infact still too savage on the launch and top speed (though seeing this tiny little bike roosting and fishtailing out of the corners in the soft stuff is pretty amusing :mrgreen: )
I made a pack for it from 16ah multistars - 6S and 4S end to end, strapped to a plank of left over wood from redoing my deck and it slides in perfectly to the old battery bay. I'll redo it shortly with some sort of plastic case and a BMS but for now it's good enough with LVC beepers.
Unfortunately I had to strip the whole thing back to bare to access the controller.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Originally it came with a power limiting mode on a key switch for kids to get the hang of it but it was either crawling along at walking pace or full speed. The new controller didn't have this, only a regular throttle input. So I cut the throttle wire and soldered in a 5k pot. This now gives smooth, linear power/ speed limiting from crawling to flat out and anywhere in between at the twist of a dial . Perfect for gradually upping the power as he gets more confidence. Which took all of 10 minutes! I was astounded how quickly he picked it up. After a few supported wobbly take offs and assistance coming to a stop he was doing laps of the street a few minutes later. Then after 10 minutes of riding around a paddock over bumps and what not he was joining me on the trails! Granted he stacked it a bunch of times but still amazing progress.

Here's the finished product with mum and dads bike :)

Ri-5.jpg

So yeah, he's my new riding buddy and I'm having a blast teaching him to ride and showing him the local haunts. Cruising around at a more sensible pace will be good for my longevity too!
Time marches on and I take alot of little things for granted in the routine of day to day work and home life but this is one of the few times where I've actually stopped and thought "wow, I'm really glad I survived to see/do this"
I'll upload the video shortly of his first ride and no doubt attempt to bore you with others in the future :)
Another year or so Rix and your little fella will be ready for one!

Nice one XLR8. It's good fun riding with your dad and/or kids! I will have to get my old man in on the action so we can have 3 generations riding together 8) He's got an ebike I made him 4 years ago and just this week 1 of the lipo cells suddenly died. Pretty good innings.

Rix, my youngest just turned 5 and he car ride it too, albeit not as well, but he hoons around up and down the street and around obstacles just fine.

Here's my little dude. I think pretty soon it's going to become apparent I haven't been training a partner, I've been training a replacement...

View attachment 1

High fives with dad while riding!

highfive.jpg

More riding with the little dude :)
We've been tacking some pretty rough and rocky stuff (such are the local trails over the back fence) and his little bike just soaks it all up. Relative to the size of his wheels much of this stuff must be like the equivalent of riding up stairs on a normal mtb!

Ri-11.jpg

This weekend I found this huge waterfall about 20 minutes ride from home. Well, not huge as far as the water goes but a huge drop. It'll be a struggle to get my bike down to the ledge where it drops off but I reckon it'll make the most epic drone footage to pull back out into the valley and reveal the bike perched on the edge of infinity 8)

waterfall1.jpg

And for a change of pace, here's a drone video from a recent work trip up flying over the beaches of Port Macquarie.
Warning: DOESN'T contain ebikes :p
Watch in 2.7k if your computer can handle it. Even with youtubes butchered compression it comes out pretty nice :)
[youtube]--5NuJdcepM[/youtube]

Very inspiring Jay. I can't wait for my boy to be big enough to come ride with me. And you're right... If that happens, i doubt I'll care about track racing the R1, 170mph back straights, and 10kw blasting through local trails.

Hmm...ok, I'll still probably care but maybe not near as often. :mrgreen:

It really is amazing the enjoyment we can get from seeing our kids take to our hobbies.

Mammalian04 said:
Very inspiring Jay. I can't wait for my boy to be big enough to come ride with me. And you're right... If that happens, i doubt I'll care about track racing the R1, 170mph back straights, and 10kw blasting through local trails.

Hmm...ok, I'll still probably care but maybe not near as often. :mrgreen:

It really is amazing the enjoyment we can get from seeing our kids take to our hobbies.

The truth!

RIX me me me me me me me me I'm ready,I hope your the right guy or I sound like a fool but on the other hand I know what I am ha.

micah78 said:
RIX me me me me me me me me I'm ready,I hope your the right guy or I sound like a fool but on the other hand I know what I am ha.
3 going out today, you are one of them. :mrgreen:

Heh vids coming soon Ken!
I've recorded a bit of footage from his first rides (hyena mini-moto riding school :) ) to hitting the trails but haven't had time to edit it. I've been a bit crook on and off then had a backlog of jobs I needed to clear out first before doing anything else. I'll have the last bike fixed up by the end of this week hopefully then I can get back to working on my own projects.
I temporarily put my alpha together for a test ride with a little battery but I need to get it sorted properly. The hunter valley EV festival is coming up again in a few weeks so I need to get something neat and tidy sorted for that. Nothing too silly, doctors orders... :| I'm thinking a modestly powered beta. It'll be tame in the light motorcycle division but it should be fairly impressive for what it is (ie much more a mountain bike than a motorbike) If not, 10kw alpha. Basically what I ran last time, but not assembled the night before with a loose/rocking axle that breaks in short order!

In the mean time, here's a HPC I just finished off last week. Long overdue on delivering this one :oops:
It's running my hybrid cro-mux motor and adaptto @ 10kw and I had it powdercoated in this metallic orange colour which came up really nice.
The aluminium frame is a few kg lighter than all the steel offerings which is good and the swing arm is the nicest of any ebike I've seen.
There's plenty of negatives though, but I'm not sure if I should go into them at the risk of sounding biased...

HPC1.jpg

HPC2.jpg

Yet another quality build Hyena ebikes. I am tipping one of you more expensive builds also. Looks like one with the lot. No secret where my allegiance lies but I have to admit, HPC have nailed the aesthetics on this bike.

In regards to reviewing the frame, this is an open forum and would certainly like to hear your opinion on the frame, positive and negative.

Kepler said:
Yet another quality build Hyena ebikes. I am tipping one of you more expensive builds also. Looks like one with the lot. No secret where my allegiance lies but I have to admit, HPC have nailed the aesthetics on this bike.

In regards to reviewing the frame, this is an open forum and would certainly like to hear your opinion on the frame, positive and negative.

What Kepler said Jay, as always, anything you touch is good to great. This build is no exception. Would like to hear your thoughts on what you like and don't like about the HPC. Yah, Aluminum is super sexy, I get that. But, is the design wonky feeling? I would love to hear your feed back. As for myself, I make no excuses, I am a Stealth FLX man first and most, however, I happen to think that the other options out there such as the Qulbix and NYX and for the buck, Vector are all good rides and have good points in their own right. BTW, got my Alpha running. tuned at 8kw on 18s, sick fast to 30MPH. About 2 seconds. WIth OVS on 7, I can go 45MPH drawing 3300watts constant to do it. My Bomber with the 5404 going 43MPH was drawing just a hair more, so OVS really doesn't cost more watts for the feature.

Back