Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...

So I think the first cell has two black wires starting onthe neg. side as first wire and last cell of highest voltage has the last red wire of highest voltage on pos. end. Just a yes or no and i will start soldering.

rkosiorek said:
Hyperion surely does make a nice charger. but they surely sucketh bigtime when it comes to documentation.

i was also confused how to wire up the balancer connectors. the manual here is a crappy jpeg how to custom wire the connectors for A123 packs. don't ask for a better picture. just download the manual and page to the back where they have the original drawings.

View attachment 1

rick
Hey Rick thanks again for the rescue! Does this look correct for 12S pack?

View attachment 12S qire of BMS.doc
otherDoc

OH DUH! This was your original post, Rick. Back about 3 pages. I need a nap! :oops:

999zip999 said:
I first though the red wire was the head but it's the tail ? Docnjoj I might be in the same boat as you.

yes Docnoj that is my schematic of the harness i built to balance my 12s packs and it works perfectly.

999zip999 now it all depends what you consider to be the "head". i always considered the (-) to be the ground. my feet are usually on the ground, and my head is somewhere up there in the ozone and not on the ground. so in my view the red should be the "Head"

so the wiring starts at the GND, 0V, or pack NEGATIVE terminal. (whatever you choose to call it) with the first black wire. isn't the pack (-) wire normally black? then it proceeds cell by cell up to the positive end of the pack which normally has a red wire. isn't the pack (+) wire normally red?

rick

Rkosiorek, Thanks for all the help. I was just a little scared when I read all the chargers that have gone to smoke on the first plug in. Plus the sentry cell checker ? The first I have ever had in my hand. And or celllog. It work out great. Thanks. Wired up 18s pack of konions I have it on lipo I think close enough. I run the 73v pack at 40amps and it's a little wacked. So we will they the balance mode. Two cells 4.060v the rest 4.143 - 4.158v. To many new things at once. So tomorrow Thanks Again.

All fine THANKS. Hard to get to the screen you want just got to get use to it. One bad cell repaired. I think one bk. neg and the rest should be red to install the balance wires

Without going back through the whole thread to see.... Just a question:

My charger seems to have max charge current of ~8.5A for my 14s1p 5000mah turnigy pack.

I am using 2 350w meanwells in series as the supply. Charge rate should be 10A - 2C (at least initially). This is what is set in the parameters for this charge slot.

Any ideas?

I have tried putting 2 x 14s1p packs in parallel to see if it will charge at a higher rate yet

jamo96 said:
Without going back through the whole thread to see.... Just a question:

My charger seems to have max charge current of ~8.5A for my 14s1p 5000mah turnigy pack.

I am using 2 350w meanwells in series as the supply. Charge rate should be 10A - 2C (at least initially). This is what is set in the parameters for this charge slot.

Any ideas?

I have tried putting 2 x 14s1p packs in parallel to see if it will charge at a higher rate yet

perhaps the 350W x 2 is not enough to get the full 550W from the Hyperion?

For my setup, I am using a 600W 27V PSU,
and my Hyperion tops out at 10A when charging a 10S4P pack.
max theoretical charge current for my setup would be: 550W / (4.2 x 10) = 13.09 Amps.
But since I'm actually maxing out at 10A, then I'm guessing the PSU I have isn't beefy enough to supply full-power to the Hyperion.

You need to run more than 24V @ 550W to get the 10.8 nominal Amps at the battery, and have your supply set to 40A (max in settings). The hyperions will semi-intuitively baby your power supply based on what you enter here..

You need to run more than 24V @ 550W to get the 10.8 nominal Amps at the battery, and have your supply set to 40A (max in settings). The hyperions will semi-intuitively baby your power supply based on what you enter here.. Cause they don't want people running their power supplies at failure conditions

You need to run more than 24V @ 550W to get the 10.8 nominal Amps at the battery, and have your supply set to 40A (max in settings). The hyperions will semi-intuitively baby your power supply based on what you enter here.. Cause they don't want people running their power supplies at failure conditions

hillzofvalp said:

I have the power supplies at 27V in series (im sure I matched the voltage as best I could between them, though I did it a fair while ago)

and I have the Hyperion set to 40Amps (the max)

I would have thought that 700W of meanwell would have enough overhead to put out 550W to the battery. I have a 27V 350W meanwell as well (I bought this with the intention to bulk charge with all three meanwells in series)... might try putting this in parallel.

jamo96 said:
I have the power supplies at 27V in series (im sure I matched the voltage as best I could between them, though I did it a fair while ago)

and I have the Hyperion set to 40Amps (the max)

I would have thought that 700W of meanwell would have enough overhead to put out 550W to the battery. I have a 27V 350W meanwell as well (I bought this with the intention to bulk charge with all three meanwells in series)... might try putting this in parallel.

I have the same problem with two meanwells in series, on my 10S charging setup (http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32801#p476867). Never did figure out how to get more out of it.

A 14s rc lipo pack will charge at slightly above 58.8 volts, at 8.5 amps this is in excess of 500w, close to the max output for this charger, at 10 amps it would be 588w, you wont achieve this as it is above the chargers capabilities. It would seem your power supply is upto the job and everything is working as it should.

The Hyeperion 1420i also has a factory default of charging LiPo batteries at only 2C.
This could be limiting your charge rate as well.
You can manually adjust the charge rate above 2C.

It is explained here in this video starting at 1:55
[youtube]-ox3EpzvsJ8[/youtube]

Thankyou sacman! That was very helpful and now I need to find other videos. The manual is really not great.
otherDoc

I just got .65 more Amps out of my charger.
I don't know what did it, but here is what I did:

I downloaded and flashed the latest firmware for the Hyperion in order to get it to connect with the computer user software.
I then went into the computer software and changed the "memory" settings to reflect my new "name" (thanks for that info btw)
and then I noticed a "User" tab, so I clicked that and punched in my PSU settings (26V 22A).

Now my Hyperion is charging at 10.55A instead of the typical 9.87A.
I left the "2C" setting alone (because that is not the limiting factor since I have a 20AH pack).
I bumped the charge current to its max (20A) and discharge current to its max (10A).

hillzofvalp said:
The hyperions will semi-intuitively baby your power supply based on what you enter here..

Thats funny, because when I went in and changed it (from everything being MAXED OUT to my "actual") the Hyperion is charging at a higher amperage.
Perhaps it only "babies" it if you don't manually set the PSU info. ?

try setting your output power to exactly 550 W.. so 21ish amps. I never verified it but I assumed it was like that

edit: it probably doesn't do that, but I don't know why anyone would ever need 40A going into this charger for 480W. I don't even think it can do that high of power output with a 12V psu

EBJ said:
I don't know what did it, but here is what I did...:

I haven't been charging near my limit for a while, but IIRC when I was playing with this, my amps changed depending on the battery state of charge. It seemed like it would put out a certain total power, so when the battery V was a little lower, then it would put a slightly higher current in.

Hi
I'm a newbie to the hyperion charger used it less than a week. From the first charge I noticed that when it came to balancing you can't beat it, my pack balances to about 3mv where as the best I got from an icharger was 10 maybe 8 with a good pack to start with.
The hyperion also allows me to charge a bigger pack in one go, best I had was a 10S that gave me only 12mph with my 16" wheeled bike folds for going on a train and similar,with the 14S the Hyperion is capable of I can get 17mph and the larger battery means greater range even at 17mph.
geoff

Ziggurat said:
EBJ said:
I don't know what did it, but here is what I did...:

I haven't been charging near my limit for a while, but IIRC when I was playing with this, my amps changed depending on the battery state of charge. It seemed like it would put out a certain total power, so when the battery V was a little lower, then it would put a slightly higher current in.

Yeah, I have noticed that as well. But in this case I am not mistaking that with the .65 more Amps I got out of my charger.

Back