Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...

Sacman

Any chance you would have those digikey part numbers handy?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Also, Slightly off topic, how do you prevent the arcing when plugging the batteries. My anderson connector is taking a beating. I am 20AH 44 Volt Lipo (12S4P) Sorry for the all the questions. New guy here. :).

Blackssr said:
Sacman

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Also, Slightly off topic, how do you prevent the arcing when plugging the batteries. My anderson connector is taking a beating. I am 20AH 44 Volt Lipo (12S4P) Sorry for the all the questions. New guy here. :).

Usually you just need to turn on the charger and wait a few seconds for the caps to charge up before plugging the battery to the charger. If you're asking about the spark when connecting the battery to the controller then research 'precharge resistor'

Just had the answer from the manufacturer. For all of you that are thinking about buying 2 hyperions for bulk charge,
the only way to sync charge is like this:
EOS0720i-NETCONN.jpg

It's not possible to series your hyperion to simplify the charging process, each hyperion needs to have its own balance plugs and battery plug

Most of us might just already know this... But to clarify---net cable just let's you use one hand to initiate the charging. If u like using one hand, then it's worth risking damaging yr charger. If you don't mind using both hands at once (for the same amount of time), you could save yourself a mistake

Blackssr said:
Sacman

Thanks in advance.

Mike

New guy here. :).

Hi Blackssr,

Sorry it took a while to get this info to you. I had to find my old order from Digikey. The part numbers are in RED below. All prices are in US dollars.

Index

Quantity

Part Number

Description

Customer Reference

Backorder Quantity

Unit Price

Extended Price

A30598-ND

CONN RECEPT 18POS FREE HANGING

$1.50

A30662-ND

CONN PLUG 18POS FREE HANGING

$1.50

A30650-ND

CONN TERM PIN 18-22AWG TIN

$3.07

A30642-ND

CONN TERM SOCKET 18-22AWG TIN

$3.07

455-2154-ND

CONN XA HOUSING 8 POS 2.5MM

$1.20

455-1902-ND

CONN HOUSING XH 8POS 2.5MM

$0.60

Hey guys, i found this video on youtube about connecting 2 6s packs to charge at 12s. They say that there is a special sequence to plug in the balance taps in the charger. The high side goes to slot B and the low goes to slot A or whatever that means???i'm not sure. They say that if this sequence is not respected, there is a chance that the pack can not balance properly. Any of you guys ever hear of this? Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I76y8eizm0&feature=related

I believe the A port is for 1-6 ( 24v) the B port 7-12 another 24v for the high side for 48v. This 1420 is hard to land on the right screen. Yes I'm straring at it. Damm screens. and can't reset it unless I unpluged It ?

999zip999 said:
I believe the A port is for 1-6 ( 24v) the B port 7-12 another 24v for the high side for 48v. This 1420 is hard to land on the right screen. Yes I'm straring at it. Damm screens. and can't reset it unless I unpluged It ?

Yes but they are suggesting to plug cells 1 to 6 in the B slot and cells 7 to 12 in the A slot. Does this make any sense? it looks like they are trying to fool the charger or something?

fractal said:
999zip999 said:

Yes but they are suggesting to plug cells 1 to 6 in the B slot and cells 7 to 12 in the A slot. Does this make any sense? it looks like they are trying to fool the charger or something?

All they had to do to fix it was to swap the two JST leads that connect to ports "A" and "B" on the charger.

Sacman said:
fractal said:
999zip999 said:

All they had to do to fix it was to swap the two JST leads that connect to ports "A" and "B" on the charger.

Sacman, can you elaborate, i'm not sure I understand. It looks like they did that on purpose.

fractal said:
Yes but they are suggesting to plug cells 1 to 6 in the B slot and cells 7 to 12 in the A slot. Does this make any sense?
Yes, it makes perfect sense and has already been covered in this thread.

The sequence has to be respected or the cell readings will be all over the place on one of the sides (the high side I think). This could lead to unbalanced cells on pack B and maybe accidental overcharge of some cells.

You can easily see if you plugged it wrong by going in the "balance" screen on the charger and cycling between the 2 cell groups.

Your series connection on the main power leads will determine which pack is High (port B - left) and which is Low (port A - right). The pack from which you plug the negative lead in the charger goes to port A (cell 1-6) and the pack from which you plug the positive lead in the charger goes to port B (cell 7-12).

Its a bit counter intuitive as you have to count from right to left for cells 1 to 12.

ok, got it. I just got 2 of these last week and the manual does not explain how to charge 2 6s packs in series.

What O.k. so neg.is 1 to 6 and port A. And port B is 7 to 12 ending to pos. Just like their balance wires kit 1 red to pos. next 5 black to pos. and the last still black wire but to last neg cell. Sounds like an italain wire job in a car. Same wire 3 colors going thru the body.

999zip999 said:
Wesnewell there's 33 pages and when is the last time you heard from Gary.
33 pages of what????
Gary who?????
Don't have a clue what you are talking about.

so i tried charging at 12s. everything is plugged in perfectly but i get a battery connection error. the input voltage is 13 volts. is it possible that its too low for 12s. the manual dosent say shit!!!! (tried charging eac 6s packs separately and it works)

Yes, that's too low for a 12s pack. It should be a minimum of 42V and that's lower than you should take it.
Oops, it's saying your input voltage is too low to charge at the rate you want to charge at. Either get a bigger power supply or drop charge amps rate lower.

wesnewell said:
Yes, that's too low for a 12s pack. It should be a minimum of 42V and that's lower than you should take it.
Oops, it's saying your input voltage is too low to charge at the rate you want to charge at. Either get a bigger power supply or drop charge amps rate lower.

it says battery connection error. as soon as it confirms 12s after the battery check, it stops and says "battery connection error"

Factal I have a 1420 and would like to hook up my 18s koion pack with 6s balance wires. And like to hook up 2-12s a123 packs with 6s balance wires. but I'm waiting for your answers. Damm flashing screens and can't find the one. If you know what i mean. Going to buy a 900w kingpower bmsbattery charger. And not a second 1420. You can charge with a 12v power supply it's just slower. I think you could go as high as 27v. for power supply. I just have a 12v 550w hook up and one sitting next to it just in case 24v1000w.

fractal said:
so i tried charging at 12s. everything is plugged in perfectly but i get a battery connection error. the input voltage is 13 volts. is it possible that its too low for 12s. the manual dosent say shit!!!! (tried charging eac 6s packs separately and it works)
The "battery connection error" doesn't come up if your power supply is too small. If it charges your 6s packs fine it should charge your 12s packs too but just at half the amps. Remember these 1420i chargers were made for use largely by the RC guys who power their chargers with their 12v car batteries while they are out in the field flying their RC planes and helicopters.

I think something is still wrong with your connections when you series charge your two 6s packs. Can you take a pic and post it up?

The easiest way I can tell people to make the connections correct is to make sure pin #1 on port A (black wire) is connected to the same battery pack that also connects to the thick black (-) charge lead.

Back