Illegal #EBikes

New York seems to be going 180 degrees on another direction than rest of the world/states. Weird. Ban on E-Bikes is so 1900-century.

This sounds really crazy:

Over on the west side bike path, they’re using those lighted road work signs (powered by a stinky gas/oil generator, btw) to display the message: “Report electric bikes on path”

Vampire scream of the ICE-people.

aroundqube said:
Hmmm... This story, and the Upper East Side reference has a familiar ring to it ; https://www.electricbike.com/ebike-illegal/

Fairly certain it's the same players. Particularly Ms Lappin -
jessicalappin.jpg

The Council Member said she was particularly concerned for elderly residents in her Upper East Side district, and quoted one of them as saying these electric bikes “converge on me from multiple directions.” State Senator Liz Krueger was also on hand, and echoed the same concerns, asking, “Who will think of the mothers pushing carriages who are at risk for their lives?” David Pollack, from the Committee for Taxi Safety, went even further, calling the bikes “a menace to little children” and a “menace to society”, and describing how he was nearly hit twice during a single walk outside this week.

Her last name pops up in some posts around here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=lappin

Cars kill/injure hundreds of thousands of people per year, but we're focused on ebikes huh..

In a place such as NYC,, perhaps all bikes are a hazard on the sidewalk.

I'd like to know what percentage of that pile of bikes was seen blasting down a sidewalk, before the cop nabbed it.

Incredibly dumb that New York State will not lift the ban on all motorized bicycles of all kinds. There have been some big lobby efforts, particularly to put in place the same laws as California just did. Just give them 27 mph, and let them take to the streets.

But like he said,, follow the money. NY cabs, the trains, etc don't want cheap and easy urban transport for the masses. Make em sweat.

But the flip side is true enough, you might be better off riding a bike you can replace for about $100. A stripped down old steel ten speed.

spinningmagnets said:
Once you develop a healthy set of thighs, you don't need any gears in flat Manhattan. Therefore...many of the bike messengers have a couple cheap single-speed bikes. The police don't have any cause to confiscate them, maybe just write a citation for blowing through a stop sign. Even if you do steal a messenger fixie (or its damaged in a crash), you or your crew will have a cheap spare.

An ebike will be expensive, so confiscation is a very effective deterrent. Likely auctioned off to a Web bidder in other states.

So Ron, you’ve ridden much in Manhattan? More than a few places might enlighten you to how “flat” Manhattan actually is?

Low hanging fruit would be most bridge approaches. Not exactly steep but significant grades and long enough. Often about 1 mile or more from either approach.

And there’s some fairly steep grades around 59th St on both the east and west sides. I’m pretty old and my knees are shot so that sort of pedaling is out of the question.

Thank heaven, my EXIT from this clown show will soon be here…

People for Bikes (or whatever the name of the group), which facilitated the new ebike laws in CA, UT & NC, was rejected in SC & NY; trying again this year, but NY looks like another no-go. They figured if they had similar ebike laws in CA & NY, the rest of the country would come around; lots of luck.

neptronix said:
Cars kill/injure hundreds of thousands of people per year, but we're focused on ebikes huh..

Correction? Fine point maybe... but a million animals killed every day? Seen here:
http://www.culturechange.org/issue8/roadkill.htm

In part:
Everyday in the U.S., 190 million motor vehicles hit the road, and one million animals get hit by motor vehicles. That's counting cars, buses, motorbikes, and trucks, but not ATVs, snowmobiles and other off-road vehicles. The figure includes mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, but not insects and bugs, who somehow never count.

Every year our nation's experimenters kill 100 million lab animals, hunters kill 200 million "game" animals, and motorists kill nearly 400 million road animals. Only America's meat-eaters take a larger toll than its motorists.

For every dead animal counted, three or four more die unnoticed. Even at 55 m.p.h., we smell the remains of far more dead skunks than we see. The walking wounded die far from the road, so only instantly killed animals are seen and get counted.

... and that's just in the U.S.A. [Sigh]

You realize what they are doing is just a money grab. If they were so concerned about safety they would be doing pedestrian crosswalk stings. There is also the 30kph zones when ped. lights are flashing, not sure if its the same in NY or NYC.

Ykick, you got me...

So Ron, you’ve ridden much in Manhattan?

I have actually driven through Manhattan in a car, and visited on foot on several occasions. I've read it's very flat, and it "seemed" very flat. I worked for Ohio Hazardous Materials/OHM as a laborer on the anthrax cleanup of the New Jersey post office (don't be impressed, they took anyone stupid enough to take the job, we sprayed stuff with bleach-water and wiped it down).

The first time I drove through Manhattan on a weekend, I vowed never to do that again. After that I parked in New Jersey and rode the train to Grand Central. Here's a tip...a few blocks east of Grand Central there's a pizza-by-the-slice business that will actually let you use their restroom if you buy a slice.

neptronix said:

I guess the people who use this argument (i.e. : bikes kill a lot of people) have no clue about the concept of inertia...

The government's are coming for our independence and freedoms they don't want us undertaking tasks of mobility without them knowing all the roads are full of cameras checking plates tracking movement, The end goal i believe is all about having a population that can be predicted on everymove with this info pumped into algorithms the banks have more accurate information to play us with, And any fool knows its the banks that are controlling all major country's and all but 4 country's banks are controlled by the Rothschild family and their past is so shadey that not even the sun can shine any light on their evil doings, One massive corrupt world interwieved countries controlling the masses with a slipping grip times are very unpredictable.

spinningmagnets said:
Ykick, you got me...

So Ron, you’ve ridden much in Manhattan?

I have actually driven through Manhattan in a car, and visited on foot on several occasions. I've read it's very flat, and it "seemed" very flat. I worked for Ohio Hazardous Materials/OHM as a laborer on the anthrax cleanup of the New Jersey post office (don't be impressed, they took anyone stupid enough to take the job, we sprayed stuff with bleach-water and wiped it down).

The first time I drove through Manhattan on a weekend, I vowed never to do that again. After that I parked in New Jersey and rode the train to Grand Central. Here's a tip...a few blocks east of Grand Central there's a pizza-by-the-slice business that will actually let you use their restroom if you buy a slice.

Sorry Ron if my comments seemed like “gotcha”. I genuinely meant it as informative. I’ve worked in Manhattan 11 years and live across the east river (not really a river, btw) in Queens. I also ride in/out of Brooklyn a bit. Know the terrain very well.

I understand how people might get the impression Manhattan's flat and why would someone need a motor? And of course online comments from other tourists may tend to reinforce that notion. But, there are places where it’s not flat and older less athletic riders may be faced with more than they can tackle if they simply rely on the comments on message boards.

As I mentioned, bridges are always good steady climb of usually around 1 mile. And both east/west sides 59-60 St have some short grades that are steep enough to humble fit riders.

Amadeus Pizza (Sharknado infamy) by the slice allows patrons to use their bathrooms. And of course the homeless guy on the subway platform will just be pooping in a box...

Are there many homeless people just sleeping on the sidewalks in NYC?
I've seen bums sleeping on sidewalks by the curb in Vancouver guess businesses cant do much if they are curbside. People in Calgary just camp in the parks or along the train line in the bush. But here we literally warehouse them in the industrial area and downtown. Foam mats 2" thick spaced 2" apart. No person goes hungry, nor has to sleep outside, and they can shower. The bums are even so bold as to ask for money at drive thru's and walmarts.

When I was in Victoria, BC Canada, there was a shelter named The Rock is what I called it, Rock Bay Landing and when I volunteered there I saw some bums with an electric scooter and some janky batteries. I thought to myself, how ingenious of them to fix up a scrapper like that. For them a ebike would have been more practicle but no one would throw an ebike out. But I'm sure they could find scraps and build a janky ebike.

I was in the city last month and saw ebikes everywhere I looked. All were working delivery folks and actively pedaling along with traffic right past cops and they were not given a look. None of these riders were passing cars which they could have easily when traffic slowed. None I saw had tags, but they were all low wattage low speed heavy front rack work bikes. As always in this large a city, it depends on the local corruption in the enforcement community. The new mayor is very different to the past one also.

Homeless sleep everywhere in NYC but often on the subways when it’s very cold or stormy out.

One of my 1st lessons here was the wise older black lady waiting for a train together says: “empty car’s always the smelly one” as morning rush A train pulled in with every car packed except one.

Doors open, people take a step inside, cover their nose/mouth, turn around scurry to the next packed subway car.

Both sad and infuriating that an entire subway car can’t be used while a human being simmers in their own urine and feces.

I always hide my bike in a nearby wooded area.
I lick it to a tree or pole.
But in NY there's no way out.

This is shameful at best, and shows the true nature of "modern politics",... subjecting others to oppressive social conform!!! For MANY recent decades now, NO NEW OR RECENT LAWS have ever been passed or even considered, unless they are PROFITABLE for Corporate America and/or government! NONE!!! And ALL have been posed as being for matters of preserving the Rights and Freedoms of people, or for PUBLIC good and safety. While government at all levels, have budgets to meet costs, NONE are supposed to be a PROFITABLE BUSINESS!!!! Fines and other penalties are intended to be consequential deterrents to civil disobedience of laws,... NOT AS REVENUES FOR PROFIT or BENIFIT!!

The days of LEO's being subject to "ticket quotas" for revenue, are past, as being unjust. TODAY,.... the "end-of-the-month", typically sees a budget surplus (with few exceptions) that must be utilized in some manner, or lost as an excessive expense. This "surplus" is often seen now as a well equipped department, AND/OR an increased public presense of LEO's near month's end, WITH the resultant "enforcement" of laws,.... after all, that's their job as Law ENFORCEMENT Officers!!!

WTH happened to "Peace Officers" who were sworn to "serve and protect"?!?!? And MORE IMPORTANT,... What has happened to the laws that PROTECT and PRESERVE Our Rights and Freedoms?!?! Oppressive laws such as this (and many others) DO NOTHING but create criminals and opportunities of government and/or corporate profit, while restricting ones freedoms and rights,... all in the name of "Public Safety and the Greater Good"!!!

Did you notice that such laws create no opportunity what-so-ever for "legitimate" related small businesses nor for a greater efficiency of the few struggling, existing small businesses??? New technology often becomes available to everyone and typically creates a new environment of opportunity and efficiency.

I read the accompanying links and articles above, and I can't help but to reflect on what it must have been like 100 or so years ago,... "DAMN NOISY AUTOMOBILES!!! They're EVERYWHERE!!! Scarin' the horses, and damn near killed my wife and baby!!! And they go so damn fast thru town you got no chance to get outa the way!!! They're a menace!!! Should be OUTLAWED!! BANNED!!! WHO NEEDS 'EM?!?!"

I find Speedmd 's comment very interesting.

Cops ignoring e bike riders that stay in the street and go with the flow. Of course. Same thing they do nearly everywhere.

City the size of NYC,, easy to round up hundreds of guys that ride dangerous, or shit faced drunk, and take their e bikes. Lets face it,, they caught up with a guy on an e bike,, that says something right there about it. Sweep em up after they crash alone could have made that pile of bikes.

Not saying the law is wise,, or that it will be changed without it making somebody money. But it's clear to me that enforcement is typically limited to busting the jerks on wheels.

As for needing a motor where it's flat,, hell,, if you stop that often you need a motor once you get old. Stops suck for those over 25.

Well i am on the other side of the planet but....

PEOPLE cause accidents. Not cars or ebikes or bullets... Or whatever. PEOPLE! (irelevant percentage is failure of actual vehicle i would say)

Banning vehicles wont resurrect anyone or solve any problems because same person will just pick another (legal)type of vehicle. (oh yeah, u are not safe with 500w electric, go buy gas moped, no1 will get hurt)
Limiting the power, they just shrinking the chance of "more serious" accident. Again, power dont kill, people do. (u can injure some1 on 5km/h with 373W and 750 kW, it would be cooler in Rimac's Concept One doe)
There are way more accidents during lower power and lower speed at which people get injured and die. Its not only power and speed thing.
Banning vehicles in regard of drive type (legs, electricity, internal combustion...) is pure idiocracy, discrimination and lazyness to stitch up certain laws and think about something more other than their own personal pockets.
Then there is the money and slices of cakes for he chosen ones.

Off topic, imo, big oil heads already have (or are on their way to have) EV's in their garages to flood market with as soon as this planet gets fed up with oil.

Just2807 said:
....Off topic, imo, big oil heads already have (or are on their way to have) EV's in their garages to flood market with as soon as this planet gets fed up with oil.
Not off topic at all. Matter of fact, it is the topic for a lot of us on the forum building and riding our eBikes or other EVs. Hope the planet is flooded with them, before the seas rise too high they flood our coasts and drown civilization. :mrgreen:

Whats happened in NY is really interesting, and I fear it might spread.
Thats why I have the PAS policy on my ebike as I believe it helps keep the ebike as a bicycle argument.

I think NY is what happens when you annoy powerful people. When riding along the Melbournes Southbank Promenade which is legal at 10kmp I had a classic annoying ebiker fly past me and just tear past and narrowly miss pedestrians I saw how NY could become how it is..
Watching him I wondered if he was trying to show off how great ebikes were or something but from the external perspective I got from pedestrians he was the ultimate fuel for ebike haters.

If you look at Southbank promenade you see its chockablock full of people and how over powered ebikes don't fit with noob ebike riders who like to show off.
https://goo.gl/maps/emG2uCRtGnL2

Attachments

• 2017-01-27.jpg
    2017-01-27.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 2,373
As long as I have been into e bikes, they have been illegal in NY state. I could be wrong, but I think it's an anti motorized bike thing that goes way back.

But the pressure from the cab industry to keep it that way is very real. Very current.

I totally agree that people are the problem, not the vehicle. It really annoys me to see articles about banning or allowing e bikes on some local multi use trail. Invariably they treat an e bike different from a pedal bike. One recently proposed a 20 mph limit for e bikes, but no limit for regular bikes? WTH? If fast bikes are the problem, make a speed limit for all bikes. like 15 mph or less. 20 mph still too fast for some trails. This one is a trail with heavy use by walkers. But a pedal bike is still safe as fast as he can coast down a hill? Stupid laws proposed by stupid people.

Just make hooligan riders illegal. simple. Post signs that say so.

dogman dan said:
As long as I have been into e bikes, they have been illegal in NY state. I could be wrong, but I think it's an anti motorized bike thing that goes way back.

But the pressure from the cab industry to keep it that way is very real. Very current.

I totally agree that people are the problem, not the vehicle. It really annoys me to see articles about banning or allowing e bikes on some local multi use trail. Invariably they treat an e bike different from a pedal bike. One recently proposed a 20 mph limit for e bikes, but no limit for regular bikes? WTH? If fast bikes are the problem, make a speed limit for all bikes. like 15 mph or less. 20 mph still too fast for some trails. This one is a trail with heavy use by walkers. But a pedal bike is still safe as fast as he can coast down a hill? Stupid laws proposed by stupid people.

Just make hooligan riders illegal. simple. Post signs that say so.
What is the regular bicycle police at NMSU these days? I remember normal cyclists riding on the walking past like complete A-holes back in the 90's.

Texting on a smart phone injures or kills waaay more people than electric bikes. I think New York should ban cell phones before they ban ebikes.
Lawmakers can be incredibly stupid.

Back