I'm a jerk - a story of an ebiker playing with roadies

kmxtornado

10 kW
So you've read up all you can on ES and got lots of help from dogman and the like. You've waited a couple weeks and the package from cell_man arrives at your door. You put your bike together in a flash and you can't wait to test it out. Off you go to the streets. It's fun riding by yourself with all that power underneath you, but there's got to be more! That's when you take it on the road with some other cyclists and the evil inside you unleashes.

I know I'm not the only one.

I'm sure some of you have given into your temptation to pass up a roadie w/o him knowing you've got epower. This is the web and I can still see your grin shining through the computer screen. Here's your chance to share your story of how much of a jerk you were. Were you playing games with the roadies? I want to know the expression on these guys as you wizzed by. I'm sure some of these guys were punks to start out with and you just sped by out of a well deserved act of revenge. The rest of us may not have such an excuse. We're just plain punks. I'm normally a nice guy, but I just couldn't resist. I was just a complete @$$ looking for some fun and here's me admitting it.

I'll start. Here's my post from another thread:

I failed my first attempt at this, but I'm going to try it again. I had entered a track on my ebike looking for a victim. Once I found him, I made sure he saw me and had the opportunity to lap me a couple times. On the third lap, I'd intentionally breathed hard and pedaled like a maniac but still hold my speed back and let the roadie pass me by. On the 4th lap, my intention was to keep his speed while he was on the opposite side of the track, slowly catch up and breeze by him.

No such luck. My 20mph ebike limit was no match for this roadie! He was probably just a hair slower. I was catching up but probably only b/c he was running out of breath. It took awhile for him to slow down and for me to catch up. If his endurance was any better, I don't think I'd ever pass him. I probably gained 1 foot for every 3 miles. Serves me right for being such an @$$.

It was fun though. This isn't much of a fun story w/o some videos or at least photos, right? I tried to capture all this on film with narration and everything but I realized only after watching the footage back over again that I had forgotten to use my fisheye lens on my camera. All you see is my chest and handlebars. I completely missed the shot of me passing by. Horrible. I'll give it a go one more time and unleash a video for you guys then. In the meantime, share yours. Curious minds want to know.

I hope to not take too much steam out of this roadie bashing session, but here's my experience:

My first kit was a cell_man/ampedbikes/ebikekit 250w geared motor.. it went all of 18mph. I'd had roadies beat me a few times and made snide comments. I was done riding with that motor in 1 month and ordered the MAC.

Even on 36v, the 8T MAC motor would beat the snot out of roadies in acceleration and top speed. It was just too easy so i didn't try to play around really. I found that some were *really* pissed that i was 'cheating' and others thought it was cool. Since i am a big time ebike advocate, i decided that i'd offer an olive branch and try to get people to draft me as much as possible, to possibly improve ebike-pedal bike relations. I'd go about 24-26mph.. and wow.... they could keep up!

I've had multiple people draft me and tell me that they'd never ridden that fast before and that they found it pretty exciting. I call it ebike grin by osmosis.

I think this is better than 'messing with lycra' because it gets them possibly interested rather than angry. You know these guys have bicycle coalitions and stuff, they're bigger than us, and they lobby the city/state for bike rights. We need them on our side.

While riding on my usual forest preserve bike path a spandexer passed me so fast he blew dirt up at me. It pissed me off because he didn't even have the common courtesy to yell out "on your left". I was nearing the end of my ride and my old lead packs I was using back then were starting to feel the pain. But I be damed if I was going to let this guy get away with this. So I peddled as hard as I could with full throttle. Please understand I was 63yo at the time and riding a mountain bike with knobby tires.

Did I catch him? Sadly no I didn't. But I was sustaining 22mph for several miles and I was holding within 300 feet of him. Every now and then I could see him turning his head to see if he had lost me yet. But there I was holding to his tail like a young bulldog. While I have no idea what was really going through his mind...... to me he was thinking "damn, this old guy is good". Eventually, my packs were just to pooped to keep up anymore. You have no idea how happy I was because I was fading faster then they were. So I may not have actually passed him or even caught him I feel this old man gave him something to think about. :?

Bob (The Old Man!!)

Be careful.

On my first real encounter with roadbikers I was climbing a twisty paved two lane road in a local park on a saturday afternoon. I was doing about 20 mph up this grade, much faster than they could do and getting a good egrin each time I whipped by one. As I approached one single-file group on the edge of the road I was in the left side of the lane to give them plenty of room. One of the roadies whipped out to pass another in their group and I had to take the oncoming lane to avoid creaming him. I suppose it was partly my fault since I wasn't making a lot of noise, but clearly he didn't look before pulling out. Luckily there was lots of room with an empty oncoming lane. I don't think he had any idea I was that close or that fast, or perhaps he didn't even know I was there at all.

Anyway, it is fun passing them but give space and warning to avoid unfortunate coincidences.

i passed two bike cops grunting up a steep hill[at about 16mph] looking like i was pedaling casualy,laying back on a tadpole recumbent... i heard one say"what the f..".. at 85,i have almost pure white hair :mrgreen:

We have a fairly large biker group where I work. On several occasions where a big wind kicked up in the afternoon (a common Spring occurence here) I've received grateful thank you's when I offered to let one of them draft me home. The common section we ride is about 9 miles.

We have a lake at the west side of town. The road leading up to the dam and along the lake is a common bike training route. I buzzed by a couple of local bike club types at 16mph smiling all the way up the 7% grade. I admit, I was pedaling hard as well, so put on a pretty good act. I never saw them again.

It's all about the act. How well can you fake it? Hahha. I hope this weekend brings sunshine so I can ride for at least a bit.

neptronix said:
I hope to not take too much steam out of this roadie bashing session, but here's my experience:

My first kit was a cell_man/ampedbikes/ebikekit 250w geared motor.. it went all of 18mph. I'd had roadies beat me a few times and made snide comments. I was done riding with that motor in 1 month and ordered the MAC.

Even on 36v, the 8T MAC motor would beat the snot out of roadies in acceleration and top speed. It was just too easy so i didn't try to play around really. I found that some were *really* pissed that i was 'cheating' and others thought it was cool. Since i am a big time ebike advocate, i decided that i'd offer an olive branch and try to get people to draft me as much as possible, to possibly improve ebike-pedal bike relations. I'd go about 24-26mph.. and wow.... they could keep up!

I've had multiple people draft me and tell me that they'd never ridden that fast before and that they found it pretty exciting. I call it ebike grin by osmosis.

I think this is better than 'messing with lycra' because it gets them possibly interested rather than angry. You know these guys have bicycle coalitions and stuff, they're bigger than us, and they lobby the city/state for bike rights. We need them on our side.

Take all the steam you want. Never considered this a roadie bashing session, but I'm sure we all have a good enough sense of humor to take it all on. By the way, I am sort of a trike roadie in that I ride fairly regularly for fitness and take riding pretty seriously. Yup, I got a row of jerseys sitting in the closet waiting for the end of the week's ride. In the end though, it's all fun. As a roadie and now an e-biker, I wear both hats.

Even from a roadie's perspective, I can't see how ebiking is cheating. They're completely different beasts. I'm more of the "wow, cool e-bike!" shouting sorta roadie.

dumbass said:
While riding on my usual forest preserve bike path a spandexer passed me so fast he blew dirt up at me. It pissed me off because he didn't even have the common courtesy to yell out "on your left". I was nearing the end of my ride and my old lead packs I was using back then were starting to feel the pain. But I be damed if I was going to let this guy get away with this. So I peddled as hard as I could with full throttle. Please understand I was 63yo at the time and riding a mountain bike with knobby tires.

Did I catch him? Sadly no I didn't. But I was sustaining 22mph for several miles and I was holding within 300 feet of him. Every now and then I could see him turning his head to see if he had lost me yet. But there I was holding to his tail like a young bulldog. While I have no idea what was really going through his mind...... to me he was thinking "damn, this old guy is good". Eventually, my packs were just to pooped to keep up anymore. You have no idea how happy I was because I was fading faster then they were. So I may not have actually passed him or even caught him I feel this old man gave him something to think about. :?

Bob (The Old Man!!)

Sounds like you found one who deserved it. Spandexer. Haha, I like that term. I never got enough guts to wear the shorts. Even when geared up, I wear gym/training paints. Yeah, most never say, "on your left." Sucks b/c even when I say it, some don't acknowledge it one bit. On a few occasions the pedestrians would just continue hogging up the entire width of the bike path.

You go old man! Though not nearly your age, I felt the same way when I was trying to keep up with a rider who was a bit shocked that I was keeping up. That guy was quick! I never did catch up, but maintained the same speed and indeed he kept looking back at me wondering who this guy is.

kriskros said:
i passed two bike cops grunting up a steep hill[at about 16mph] looking like i was pedaling casualy,laying back on a tadpole recumbent... i heard one say"what the f..".. at 85,i have almost pure white hair :mrgreen:

You know you're good when you can make someone cuss. Cops! I can't believe it. That would be so cool if you had video footage of that. I wonder if he said, "What the F?" because you were faster, you were old or b/c you had a recumbent. All are very shocking but when put together can leave a real impression.

kriskros said:

Woo Hoo! That is the best! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just make sure you have a legal E-bike, or one of them might ticket you out of spite! :wink: :p

Ok, I have sorta a story like you're asking for, but the first day I was test driving with a Kepler Drive ***** NOTE ***** (I used the wrong motor that was strongly cautioned I should not use!) and was giddy with excitement having screamed down the road at 30 MPH on the flat with a E-Bike that weighed less than 40lbs!!

And then I decided to take it up hill, it worked fine for the first half, passed up a commuter huffing up the hill, and flew up a 8% grade at 20+ MPH for about 200 yards until I had smoke pouring out of the motor!! :oops: :shock:

That same commuter then passed me as I scratched my head trying to figure out what I had done wrong. :roll: :mrgreen:

I have passed a few roadies on the bike path and I was amazed how fast one was once (over 28 MPH!) for a good mile this guy was flying, and then he started to run out of steam and I made sure he knew I had a motor because I didn't want him to kill himself trying to pass me next, but he never really slowed down at that point, and just maintained a steady 25+ MPH and I was really amazed.

The most fun for me so far has been keeping pace with a train that parallels the spring water bike path in Oak's Bottom next to Oak's Amusement Park.

There is some kind of speed restriction for the train in this area, I'm guessing about 15 or 20 MPH. In a 2 mile stretch, I went even with him, slowed, passed, kept pace about 50 yds ahead of him, let him catch up and blasted past him again 3x then I just went full out and put as much distance between us as I could, man I sure would have loved to have a mic in the engineer's cab!! :lol: :twisted:

I took on a cowardly 250cc motorbike pillion passenger who pulled up next to me while riding at night and flipped me the bird in my face while yelling 'get f@cked' one saturday night. He didn't see that my bike was powered! His 'driver' sped up to the speed limit (60 kph) and I guess he didn't think he would see me again.

A full battery and 500 watt hours on board - I spooled it up to 58kph and pulled up about 3m beside him at the next set of traffic lights in town. Asked him in a smart @rsed voice if he rode too, or if his 'gorilla girlfriend" up front did all the driving.

I had them beat hands down! If he got off, he couldnt catch me on foot. If he stayed on, he couldnt have followed me thru the town carpark and up/down gutters and laneways. So I dished up a ten word sentence for him - nine started with the letter F and the other was C, just to maintain class.

He looked at my bike like it was a talking cat. Before his driver realised what was going on he took off from the lights, I wished I had grabbed the back of the pillion's collar as the bike pulled away.

I flicked my lights off and shadowed them silently around town in my camo gear for another 2km, then just as they started to hatch a plan I peeled off down a laneway and thru some bollards into a sporting ground, and disappeared silently into the night.

kmxtornado said:
I'm sure some of you have given into your temptation to pass up a roadie w/o him knowing you've got epower.

No, never. I fly by leaving no question about being powered. That's the kind of stuff that makes enemies of those who fought tooth and nail for bike infrastructure, and because ebikers have no organization, they're also the ones who end up creating the ridiculously low power rules by which so many of you ebikers live.

Samd said:
I took on a cowardly 250cc motorbike pillion passenger who pulled up next to me while riding at night and flipped me the bird in my face while yelling 'get f@cked' one saturday night. He didn't see that my bike was powered! His 'driver' sped up to the speed limit (60 kph) and I guess he didn't think he would see me again.

I had them beat hands down! If he got off, he couldnt catch me on foot. If he stayed on, he couldnt have followed me thru the town carpark and up/down gutters and laneways. So I dished up a ten word sentence for him - nine started with the letter F and the other was C, just to maintain class.

Oh dude, i love it. I don't have the power to beat motorcycles yet, but there are a lot of jerky motorcycle riders out here and you've got me inspired.

I might not want to screw with lycras, but i think motorcyclists are fair game. Just make sure you have enough power to beat the pants off them. Wouldn't be too hard with two hub motors, or something like the hubzilla/cromotor :)

I think they'dve done well against me on power Neptronix - but I had the luxury of them having a pillion in a high density urban environment. All I had to do was scoot the wrong way up the local McDonald's drive thru, or shoot up the footpath or down a few stairs and they were out of the game and I was gone into the night on a matt black bike.

They probably would have had me on range too, but with all that agility on my 30kg bike I would have had plenty of time to silently stop and think, and change tack thru places they just couldnt go. At one stage while tailing them I cut across a traffic island and thru the local hardware store carpark over deep bluestone gutters and you could see them start to understand that unless they clearly broke the road rules then I could catch them any time I want. With no number plates or identification on my side I guess I really got cocky.

I just felt good because as it played out I am sure they slowly came to the realisation that the victim was in fact instantly capable of becoming the aggressor...

I dunno...I know I have a different outlook on things than most people, probably because I get emotionally disturbed by arguments and whatnot far easier than many people do (probably because of my autistic tendencies?), but I tend to think many of the situations like this just cause antagonism, when instead it might be better to just be and let be.

Passing unpowered cyclists can be bad enough as it is, if they feel like you're "cheating" becuase of what they use cycling for vs what you do, but playing a game with them seems likely to cause bad tempers to flare. (I know I don't like it when people play games with me, or make fun of me, etc., regardless of who they are or why they are doing it; I can imagine the same is true of many or evne most people.)

Even if you run into someone with an attitude of their own, in my experience it doesn't really help things to respond in kind, no matter how much you want to. Sometimes situations can be defused by being nice back instead of responding in kind. (sometimes they can't be defused at all).

But to each, his own. :)

I nearly always try to slow for a bit, and chat up a cyclist I'm passing. 60,000 people in city limits, so it's still a fairly small cycling community. People who ride I mean, not bike owners. I try to sell the ebike as basic transportation, vs riding just for the exercise after driving home. "See how easy I can ride to work and back" I'll be saying. And how cheap compared to a car, etc.

But sometimes when I'm hypermiling and riding 15 mph, I'll get passed. If they say shit like get a real bike, or laugh, it's game on buddy.

The funnest thing is not passing them, but pushing em. After they laugh at you riding on the poplular road for the carbon 15 pound bike crowd on your 40 (actually 70) pound MTB and pass you, simply follow. One fun day the Aggro 40 year old that snorted some kind of ass---e comment was riding ahead of me on hilly ground.

So I let him get about a half mile ahead of me, and be all happy, but as soon as he couldn't see me anymore I'd WOT it to 30 mph and when I'd crest the hill I'd be right behind him again. And you'd see him stand the pedals and sprint away. I did this to him, making him sprint, over and over for 15 freaking miles. :twisted: Eventually he was toast, and slowed down, but was still trying like hell to stay ahead. I just stayed right behind him by 50 yards till he turned off to his house. Poor aggo never new I had a motor on that wallmart bike. :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet he was too sore to walk for a week after that.

I live in NYC where there are tens of thousands of road bike on any given Sunday heading out to NJ or up the west side for a fast spin. 25 MPH riders get dropped. When I had my Optibike 850R I would race them and I was only beat twice and they passed me at 32-33 MPH after my legs gave out and I dropped back to 30. Top riders can run at 30 MPH for hours. Now I ride a Bomber and there is no way to play with them anymore.

Playing with a Lycra just isn't fair. Cars are way more fun :)

[youtube]UOenEWOHcsk[/youtube]

Just wait till you see what my Hubzilla does at 125V, 100+ amps 1,875Wh in the pack :)

My favorite thing is when I leave red lights I have a much faster reaction time than a car because I'm paying attention and ready for the light (I also drag race a lot). About 50% of the time I end up hearing the car revving their engine much higher than normal to try and pass me. I don't know if it's intentional or subconscious, but it happens a lot.

To be fair, I also have a mountain bike that looks like a normal bike, but can go 42mph but I usually pedal along with it at 30mph. When I ride next to the lycra crew they always look at me weird because I'm in jeans on a mountain bike and riding the same speed as them (unless I'm in a hurry, then I just pass them). I've gotten the cheating comment a few times, but I tell them I'm just commuting, not exercising or cycling. I've offered to let a few draft me as well, never had one get angry but several surprised and interested.

For sure, in a peloton they can cruise at 30+ mph for hours. What blows my mind about the local godess, is she does it regularly with 4-5 big dudes drafting her all the way. I have not seen her, in 4 years, ride in the draft. EVER. And she'll keep going 25 mph, into 25 mph headwind. :shock: She's the best rider in town, I think, male or female. She thought an ebike for an old fart to commute on was a great idea.

For sure, don't tease em untill they start laughing at you. Next thing you know, they gang up and start talking to politicians about asses on ebikes.

Fun to tease cars too though. Always a kid looking like this :shock: out the passenger window.

dogman said:
For sure, don't tease em untill they start laughing at you. Next thing you know, they gang up and start talking to politicians about asses on ebikes.

Fun to tease cars too though. Always a kid looking like this :shock: out the passenger window.

Yeah, I agree. The last thing we need are special regs for ebikes or more limits on them. I try to ride at the rate of bike trafic expecially on trails. Of course if I'm riding with my wife we are normally being pased my mothers out for a jog while pushing baby strollers (with twins in it yet!!). Yeah, I'm saying my wife doesn't like to ride fast. I try to tell her it's easier to balance a bike if you go a little bit faster. We got to 14 mph once and I thought "WOW, this is the big time!!" So I tend to makeup for it when I ride alone but I still control my speed while on bike paths. Actually in the forest preserve where I do most of my riding there not considered bike paths. There's everything from people walking with kids to horse back riders. A great area to relax and enjoy the ride just have to be careful of others.

Bob

Boy this is a great thread. I can relate to all these stories. I too have indulged. Heres from a previous post:

"Yup, she was fully decked out with the wrap around sunglasses, the usual road racing colors and I clocked her at 18 mph on the flat!

When I tried to pass her -just barely-I ran into a wind gust and my 36 v, 15 ah ping just couldn't cut it. She laughed and pulled away!

She had muscular legs on her that if she wrapped them around you, you wouldn't forget!

Now I have to admit I have been a bit stand off ish with these jokers with their identical spandex outfits and snobbish "your not a real cyclist" attitude.

But she will be in my dreams tonight. And tomorrow I'll start saving for my 48 (edit 72) volt.

After all, a man has his honor..."

But I tend to agree now with Dogman and Amberwolf that being friendly and approachable with them is the way to go. In my case, it would have been better to just have just backed off a little and just followed her. And admired her legs!

Experiences shared and lessons learned....

I was out for a ride and saw a lady ahead of me on her beach cruiser just out for a ride. She was just beginning to go up a short but steep hill on the road ahead of me. I was only doing about 20 mph, caught up to her and passed by silently. She couldn't have seen my grin because I never turned around to see her expression.

I had my legs spread-eagle off the pedals cruising up the hill.

Good times. :)

amberwolf said:
I dunno...I know I have a different outlook on things than most people, probably because I get emotionally disturbed by arguments and whatnot far easier than many people do (probably because of my autistic tendencies?), but I tend to think many of the situations like this just cause antagonism, when instead it might be better to just be and let be.

Passing unpowered cyclists can be bad enough as it is, if they feel like you're "cheating" becuase of what they use cycling for vs what you do, but playing a game with them seems likely to cause bad tempers to flare. (I know I don't like it when people play games with me, or make fun of me, etc., regardless of who they are or why they are doing it; I can imagine the same is true of many or evne most people.)

Even if you run into someone with an attitude of their own, in my experience it doesn't really help things to respond in kind, no matter how much you want to. Sometimes situations can be defused by being nice back instead of responding in kind. (sometimes they can't be defused at all).

But to each, his own. :)

Sorry, I wasn't intending on striking a nerve. I'm hoping most of the experiences are all in good fun and don't involve fingers nor cussing. I think at that point, it's gone to far. The stories I was hoping to hear would be more of a tease than straight up antagonistic actions. I totally agree with you in that instigating havoc only makes things worse. So far in my experience with the ebike, I've only seen people surprised and somewhat confused. No one's been angry....yet. No confrontations - only people somewhat interested in the bike once they learned it was epowered.

After reaching the top of a hill, a cargo bicyclist had just stopped waiting for his wife to catch up. That's when my buddy who was testing out the ebike happened to mention it was epowered. The cargo cyclist called us "cheaters," but all in good fun. We were all still smiling. We complimented him on his setup and off we went.

@dogman: I agree, if they're the one's being jerks to begin with, "game on"! Hahah. I'm rooting for you! You bring up a great suggestion about making them run rather than just passing them. Make them think they have a chance. Hahha, you're soooo evil. I like it! I can imagine myself looking for mean people just so I have an excuse to do fun stuff like that.

@paulG: 30mph? Wow, that's nuts. I better watch out for those guys! It would still be fun though. It's like racing motorcycles in a car. You know you're going to lose, but it's still fun.

@zombiess: I think it's intentional. I know I get a little pissy (though I probably shouldn't) when cyclist keep up with me on city streets b/c they don't stop at stop signs. They just blast through. Dude, I'm in a car. I should be MUCH faster. I think you might be converting some cyclists into ebikers! Cool.....I think. As long as some of these jerks don't join our community and then continue to be jerks. Then we got a real problem.

@dumbass: Definitely gotta be careful of others. The last thing we want to do is run over kids and their mothers.

@kent: So you lost?...boo! That's like what happened to me. I thought I could win, but only when the guy practically slowed to a stop. Grr. Time for use both to get 42v batteries. Maybe you can be my housemate and we can share batteries. Hahaha.

@will_newton:Spread eagle? Now that's a signature jerk move. I was tempted to do that too, but something told me to keep my feel on the pedals and continue moving. I wonder though of people notice my bike's electric since I pull off from a stop w/o really pedaling until the bike's up to speed. I pretty much 100% use the throttle to start off from a stop.

zombiess said:
Playing with a Lycra just isn't fair. Cars are way more fun :)

[youtube]UOenEWOHcsk[/youtube]

Just wait till you see what my Hubzilla does at 125V, 100+ amps 1,875Wh in the pack :)

My favorite thing is when I leave red lights I have a much faster reaction time than a car because I'm paying attention and ready for the light (I also drag race a lot). About 50% of the time I end up hearing the car revving their engine much higher than normal to try and pass me. I don't know if it's intentional or subconscious, but it happens a lot.

To be fair, I also have a mountain bike that looks like a normal bike, but can go 42mph but I usually pedal along with it at 30mph. When I ride next to the lycra crew they always look at me weird because I'm in jeans on a mountain bike and riding the same speed as them (unless I'm in a hurry, then I just pass them). I've gotten the cheating comment a few times, but I tell them I'm just commuting, not exercising or cycling. I've offered to let a few draft me as well, never had one get angry but several surprised and interested.

Hi there, how did you measure mosfet temperature, where did you put the probe for the temp gauge and what did you use to secure it?

Many thanks- and be safe. :D

They are idiots. In my city you get alot of young guys in there "fixie" single speed racing bikes and also module aged competitive cyclists. I have had more than 1 look of disgust before they shot past me. Lol. They never stayed in front of course. It's brilliant when they look back to see how far they have gotten away from you and you are just about to pass them. Muhaha. Brilliant. But seriously they need to learn a little courtesy. I've been doing martial arts, Muay thai, Mma, boxing etc since I was a small kid and I don't walk up to them in the street and demonstrate my punch on there face ;) so why do they need to flex there muscles and pass everybody that doesn't have a vintage racing bike or a £3000 carbon racer. Sick it to them I say. The decisions about regulating e-bikes will be made by one asshole sitting on there ass in a comfy leather chair somewhere and whether they receive 1 letter of complaint or 1000 you can rest assured they will try to give us trouble at some point. They will of course have to catch us first :)

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Back