Infineon XC846 72V 45 Amp Controller

John in CR said:
ZapPat said:
Anyone know where I could get torque arms - which I think is what I need right? I live in the middle of nowhere, so an internet source for these would be great, and it being in canada would be a bonus for me. Other DIY solutions for this problem are also welcome!

Pat,
Look in your tool box. The quickest DIY solution is that open ended wrench with a 10 on it. The idea is to just prevent the axle from turning. The nuts hold the axle on. That will give you security while you come up with something better, like welding two 10mm open ended wrenches together so it slides over the axle and can't turn or come off without removing the torque arm.
John
be carful of this method read the first page of the thread i listed before!

ZapPat said:
Well I got the new infinion working well finally! In fact it works so well compared to my old controller that my motor twisted itself partway off the bike! It was throwing gravel bewind me when I hit the accelerator, something that just barely happened with my old moded golden motor controller (which was a 36V/20A moded to 48V/34A). As soon as I figure out how to secure this beast to my bike frame I will have a great time. Anyone know where I could get torque arms - which I think is what I need right? I live in the middle of nowhere, so an internet source for these would be great, and it being in canada would be a bonus for me. Other DIY solutions for this problem are also welcome!

There is still a small glitch in my infinion that happens only at the very lowest possible throttle setting, but is easily avoided by going up a bit higher right away. This is what was confusing me during my initial hall and phase wire combo testing, and also that I was using a 72 volt controller on 48V, so had to bypass some of the power resistors. The LVC is easily changed with a potentiometer (provided!).

Thanks,
Pat

HA HA! Give Me More Power Scotty!

Go Go Go!

(Matter - Anti-Matter reactor is NOW ON LINE) :D

PS ... USE A FUSE ... That controller may do 60 amps! ... My bad! :oops:

John in CR said:
ZapPat said:
Anyone know where I could get torque arms - which I think is what I need right? I live in the middle of nowhere, so an internet source for these would be great, and it being in canada would be a bonus for me. Other DIY solutions for this problem are also welcome!

Pat,
Look in your tool box. The quickest DIY solution is that open ended wrench with a 10 on it. The idea is to just prevent the axle from turning. The nuts hold the axle on. That will give you security while you come up with something better, like welding two 10mm open ended wrenches together so it slides over the axle and can't turn or come off without removing the torque arm.
John

Thanks man! I just happend to have two of these 10mm, so one is now on my bike and did the trick great! I am also aware of geoff's warning when using wrenches, but so far everything looks secure.

make sure its not a cheap wrench they ar the ones that will do the dammage

geoff57 said:
make sure its not a cheap wrench they are the ones that will do the dammage

geoff57 said:
ZapPat said:
[...]
There is still a small glitch in my infinion that happens only at the very lowest possible throttle setting, but is easily avoided by going up a bit higher right away. This is what was confusing me during my initial hall and phase wire combo testing, and also that I was using a 72 volt controller on 48V, so had to bypass some of the power resistors. The LVC is easily changed with a potentiometer (provided!).
hi pat elaborate on the glitch I'm doing tests on the 72v 45a infineon at the moment with puma I run at both 48v and 72v depending on what I want speed or distance.
I'd like to know about the glitch at low throttle so if I get the same I know it has been found before, we still have to get rid of it though.
Geoff - I will look into the small glitch a bit more after I get back from camping (leaving in a couple hours). If you want to see if you can reproduce it, set your bike up for no-load tests (free-spining), and play with the throttle around it's absolute lowest setting you can manage. Since you have a geared motor this will be at very slow rotation indeed, and maybe your freewheel inside will mask this occurence a bit too. Also, I noticed that this glitch did not appear about once every 20-30 or so power-ups, but did happen all the other times. Almost as though it might have to do with some one-time initialisation code not always doing the same thing. I'll test it out more in a few days, and will post again about this.

ZapPat said:
Almost as though it might have to do with some one-time initialisation code not always doing the same thing.
Seems this could be the good and the bad!

I went with two of these once I discovered my washers were "mushed"
AND ... My fork drop-outs are way past 10mm. Ha Ha they are like "mushed" too!
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! :D

View attachment 1
Right_TA.jpg
(I know ... John in Costa (freakin) Rica thinks these are crap. :roll: )

You will eventually own this motor Bro! But not the "crappy" TA's.

-K

fechter said:
But these are cool! A+++

Knuckles said:
....(I know ... John in Costa (freakin) Rica thinks these are crap. :roll: )

Where did that come from? I don't recall ever seeing them, much less commenting on them. :?:
EDIT- But I will now, since you asked. They're kind retro looking compared to my blue collar industrial "Torquensteins" that I've been too embarrassed to post pics of. Retro is cool, just not for me. One of my wives turned Retro, so I traded her in on a newer model. :twisted:

By the way, I never did tell you the rental rate on that motor of mine. :mrgreen:

That's ok, I should have Mr. Bafang and Mr. Infineon next week, unless Labor Day screws me. I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime. Now if the motors coming on the slow boat from China get here first, then you'll have a tough time living it down.

John

Knuckles said:
I went with two of these once I discovered my washers were "mushed"
AND ... My fork drop-outs are way past 10mm. Ha Ha they are like "mushed" too!
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! :D

View attachment 1

(I know ... John in Costa (freakin) Rica thinks these are crap. :roll: )

-K

fechter said:
But these are cool! A+++
Nah Knuckles it was me who KNOWS they are crap! :) Get some good ones! (And now back to our regularly scheduled hurricane)
otherDoc

They do look kind of "Retro" don't they! :D

Would some "stickers" make them less crappy?

They look fine but dont actually do anything! The elongated hole is too loose, La Trek :) My motor spun in its mount and it was only 42 volts P2A! Get some good ones!

edit: I'm referring to Crysatlyte torque arms, so there is no mistake!

otherDoc

can anyone verify if the infineon controllers are running bafang or bmc 500watt at 48v or higher without any problems with switching speeds?

solarbbq2003 said:
can anyone verify if the infineon controllers are running bafang or bmc 500watt at 48v or higher without any problems with switching speeds?
in answer to voltage bagfang yes BMC/Puma 500 48v fine above tests are still being done at this end external problems not to do with either the infineon or the puma has stoped the testing for the moment.
as for switching speeds can you explain more what you mean and i will see if the tests have covered that by a diffrent name.

there was an issue with running those motors on higher voltages in that the controllers chip speed couldn't keep up with the switching speed of the hall signals, so over a given rpm motor wouldn't run or wouldn't run smoothly. Quite a bit of discussion on it in earlier posts, crystalyte anolog controllers were only controllers which seemed to able to handle the higher hall signal frequency over 36v, I had some v2 crystalyte boards modified ( I have no idea how they were modified!!) which can run very high rpm, tested up to near 100v will run bmc 500watt motor ( would be no problem with bafang also but i haven't tested on bafang). Easy test is just to run one of those motors on 48v or higher and just see if it runs smoothly no load up to max rpm ( getting a reading on max rpm would also be very nice), that would confirm if infineon chip does have higher chip frequency and ability to run bafang/bmc geared hub motors at higher volts/rpm.

Hi!

This is a very interesting controller!
I assume that ecrazyman on eBay still sells the old version, right?

I have a couple of questions concerning this new controller.

1) Is it possible to drive a Crystalyte 406 motor?
2) Can it be modified to work with 36 or 48V? I assume I have to change the low voltage cutoff somehow, is it possible to make this adjustable with a poti or so?
2a) I think the controller power supply needs to be modified, too. I assume it need 5V. Would it be possible, to run it with a 5V step down converter?
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rc-planes.de%2Fproduct_info.php%3Finfo%3Dp403_ELE-UBEC-A3-HV.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8
3) Is it possible to adjust the maximum current by soldering in a poti somewhere? I am not sure about which maximum current is best for my planned setup. And I want to be able to include a "Cop mode", selectable via magnet switch or so, to reduce the power considerably, by changing the resistor value determining the max current.
4) Where do I get fitting thumb or twist throttle controls? Do the ones ecrazyman sells on eBay fit?

Thank you very much,

Julian

solarbbq2003 said:
there was an issue with running those motors on higher voltages in that the controllers chip speed couldn't keep up with the switching speed of the hall signals, so over a given rpm motor wouldn't run or wouldn't run smoothly. Quite a bit of discussion on it in earlier posts, crystalyte anolog controllers were only controllers which seemed to able to handle the higher hall signal frequency over 36v, I had some v2 crystalyte boards modified ( I have no idea how they were modified!!) which can run very high rpm, tested up to near 100v will run bmc 500watt motor ( would be no problem with bafang also but i haven't tested on bafang). Easy test is just to run one of those motors on 48v or higher and just see if it runs smoothly no load up to max rpm ( getting a reading on max rpm would also be very nice), that would confirm if infineon chip does have higher chip frequency and ability to run bafang/bmc geared hub motors at higher volts/rpm.
that was with the other controller the infineon does not have that problem . I or somone will speak more later

Julez said:
Hi!

Yes, any brushless motor with hall sensors would work (and even ones with no halls if you add on Knuckle's sensorless module)
2) Can it be modified to work with 36 or 48V? I assume I have to change the low voltage cutoff somehow, is it possible to make this adjustable with a poti or so?
I have it working well at 48V, I just had to bypass a power resistor. However, if you ask Knuckles before ordering he will set it up for you at 48V, and I think he is even trying out some current regulation mod to have a wide supply capable controller. As for the LVC, a pot is provided to adjust it easily.
2a) I think the controller power supply needs to be modified, too. I assume it need 5V. Would it be possible, to run it with a 5V step down converter?
The controller also has a 12V rail used at least for the FET drivers, so maybe a dual output (5V + 12V) might work. This would require some studying of the circuit to be sure if this is possible and usefull.
3) Is it possible to adjust the maximum current by soldering in a poti somewhere? I am not sure about which maximum current is best for my planned setup. And I want to be able to include a "Cop mode", selectable via magnet switch or so, to reduce the power considerably, by changing the resistor value determining the max current.
Maybe Knuckles could answer this one, as I haven't looked at the circuit and don't feel inclined to take mine off my bike and open it up...
4) Where do I get fitting thumb or twist throttle controls? Do the ones ecrazyman sells on eBay fit?
It looks like it takes standard throttle input, even the one I got with my golden motor kit works great.

Julez said:
Hi!

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rc-planes.de%2Fproduct_info.php%3Finfo%3Dp403_ELE-UBEC-A3-HV.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

Thank you very much,

Julian

questions 1 and 2 have been covered as for 3 and 4 throttles are available from both keywin and knuckles.
the question of a "cop mode is one a lot of us want to wish was not needed but as the phrase goes "just my luck", well there are several ways this could be handled, there is the Cycle Analyst which has both amp and speed limiters ,if the version 2.1 is bought then you can do"on the fly" adjustment but the cycle analyst is not cheap. an alternative is to see if the mod that fechter did on the xtlytes to reduce amps is convertable to the infineon, will get on to knuckles and see about researching it. as for implimenting it a magnet would not be a good idea best a key switch disguised as the on off switch.

the original mod is in http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=915&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a I am reading it at the moment again to see if it can be used with the infineon. have now read thread, the mod uses one of the features on one of the chips in the xtlytes to my knowlege there is not a equivelent in the infineon, we have not given up hope yet.

Hi!

Concerning the cop mode, my idea goes like this: I assume that the controller checks the current via a shunt. Somehow, there is also a tiny resistor somewhere, which's value determines the max current the controller will allow. This was at least the case with the old version.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=78328#p78328
So I can use a poti with a small resistor instead of the original resistor to manually adjust the max current. Now I will add another resistor in series to further lower the max current. This additional resistor can be bridged by a magnet switch.
With the resistor being bridged, I have the max current I originally chose.

Cheers,

Julian

geoff57 said:
an alternative is to see if the mod that fechter did on the xtlytes to reduce amps is convertable to the infineon, will get on to knuckles and see about researching it. as for implimenting it a magnet would not be a good idea best a key switch disguised as the on off switch.

the original mod is in http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=915&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a I am reading it at the moment again to see if it can be used with the infineon. have now read thread, the mod uses one of the features on one of the chips in the xtlytes to my knowlege there is not a equivelent in the infineon, we have not given up hope yet.

Don't worry, we'll figure out how to do it. There's always a way. I just don't have a sample of that one to play with yet. It should be very similar to the PIC based Shenzhen controller. It could be done in software too, but you still need a wire to activate it.

fechter said:
Don't worry, we'll figure out how to do it. There's always a way. I just don't have a sample of that one to play with yet. It should be very similar to the PIC based Shenzhen controller. It could be done in software too, but you still need a wire to activate it.
I was on skype with knuckles last night after the posting, there is a way, knuckles is finishing testing on somthing else at the moment so we did not talk more except to say it can be done, so watch this space somone will work out the mod. this will give a variable max amp output if I read things right, implimenting this as a "cop switch" should be no problem.

Back