Internal battery custom bike reivew

Firebug24k

1 µW
Good morning all,

I'm posting the first part of my review of the custom frame ebike I purchased last week from Catalyst82 (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51576). He plans on constructing several of these frames in the future, so if you like this one then get in line for yours!

I bought this as a complete bike, not as just a frame. I paid $3800, shipped (asking price).

First impression of the quality of the frame is positive. I just got it yesterday, so I need to take some measurements and post some more quantitative data, but it seems very very solid. It's heavy, but balanced, so it actually feels not unreasonable in the weight department.

The white paint is not too great. It's already peeling and rubbing off in quite a few spots. I'd recommend having it powder coated or something more durable, because it doesn't adhere to the steel all that well. I'll have to see how it holds up over a longer period of time, but I'm not expecting it to last very long.

Catalyst used the UPS Store to package and ship the bike. Unfortunately, they were clueless about how to properly pack and ship a bicycle, so it arrived with serious damage to the front chainring and the headset. Both will have to be replaced before I can ride it. I haven't tested any of the electrical components yet, I'm waiting to get the bike assembled. I'll be taking it into a shop this afternoon to have the headset replaced and get the rest of the components checked for damage.

The poor shipping probably won't be a big deal if you're just going to buy a bare frame from him because there's really no way to hurt a solid steel frame like this. And I have no doubt he'll pack things better in the future. He's agreed to cover the cost for the repairs, so my impression of service after sale is great at this point!

Photos so far are all in my album at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27503106@N04/sets/72157634803892580. I'll continue to update as I can.

Hey man, I like the initial impressions - seems like a good real stealth commute bike. So far what I really like about it is that it's probably barely noticeable that it's electric, yet it has some power to it. Maybe Catalyst could chime in here, but I wonder if it was possible to fit a MP3 in there - I read that this Smart Pie is somewhat inferior to MP3 in both torque and speed. In terms of paint - it's up to you as the rider, but I'd just leave it as is - kinda gives it that "don't bother touching me" look, a little paint chip, a bit of dirt here and there.
Did you get a chance to ride the bike yet? Unless I missed it, where are you located?

Rollodo said:
Hey man, I like the initial impressions - seems like a good real stealth commute bike. So far what I really like about it is that it's probably barely noticeable that it's electric, yet it has some power to it. Maybe Catalyst could chime in here, but I wonder if it was possible to fit a MP3 in there - I read that this Smart Pie is somewhat inferior to MP3 in both torque and speed. In terms of paint - it's up to you as the rider, but I'd just leave it as is - kinda gives it that "don't bother touching me" look, a little paint chip, a bit of dirt here and there.
Did you get a chance to ride the bike yet? Unless I missed it, where are you located?

I can put any hub motor you want in there, including the mp3. I choose the smartpie for its built in controller and lighter weight than the mp3. I have a 9C 2807 I would like to try out in one of my frames, it has far more torque, but its a bit heavier than the smaller smartpie...

Right now my choice is either this w/a Falco motor or a new Stromer. I have had some of the worst service w/my old Stromer but i would need someone to put it together...

Does it have an external connector for the days i go beyond the internal batteries? is there a place for torque sensor in the frame? is there a place to mount a standard rack on the back to carry those batteries and other supplies?

I have a great positive response in my out box! Someday I will have enough posts for it to leave :)...short version here yes!!! how to get in touch when i can't send PMs?

opimax said:
I have a great positive response in my out box! Someday I will have enough posts for it to leave :)...short version here yes!!! how to get in touch when i can't send PMs?

You can send PMs right away. If it is in your "outbox" it means that the intended recipient has not "read" it yet. Side benefit is that you can edit it until the recipient reads the PM.

Back