Is it possible to find a user manual for the ASI BAC4000?

Jimmyalenius

1 µW
I just bought a quad ATV that uses an ASI BAC4000 as a motor controller. Of course it didn't come with any manuals and the seller can't help me. Tried to find the user manual on the ASI website but they are VERY careful not to share information about their products.

Has anyone managed to get hold of a user manual for the BAC4000/8000?

A google search for your phrase finds some links that may be useful, including at least one page with an End User Manual (not sure if that's what you're after)

If you want to reprogram it you'll also need the software and I think a passcode and login (but I'm not sure you can get that from anyone except ASI?).

Hi! If you look at the search results, you will see that there is not a single manual from the manufacturer. The only thing available are simple assembly instructions from various dealers.

The only thing I managed to find is a manual for the BAC500:

https://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/BAC500_Controller_Manual_Rev 1.0.pdf

Unfortunately, the BAC500 differs greatly from the BAC4000. It's a completely different setup. A manual for the BAC8000 would probably work fine.

I think it is very bad of a manufacturer not to make product manuals available for their products so that it is possible to use, debug or modify them.

I think it is very bad of a manufacturer not to make product manuals available for their products so that it is possible to use, debug or modify them.

I don't disagree with the desire, but the reality is that some companies don't want end-users to do any of those things (because they don't want the support load this could create), and only work with dealers and OEMs building systems with their stuff (Sevcon, ASI, Mobipus, etc). End users that want to use their products have to go thru a dealer, and then that specific dealer is then responsible for support, etc. It keeps the main company from spending money on things they don't want to, that for them aren't profitable. (one-off sales to individuals, vs hundreds to thousands of units to a company or dealer, for about the same time investment....)

Sucks for us as DIYers, but it's understandable from their viewpoint.

It's not a manual, but this thread has *some* info on programming the 8000;
if it is helpful.

If you prefer controllers with FOC that also have lots of info available, there are a lot of VESC-based projects including some with high power controllers. (Some developed here on ES, some elsewhere). These are even open-source so you can get the code and modify them if you know how and want to.

Hi! I agree that they should not have to provide support to end users. What I find absolutely crazy is that they don't make the product manual available. Within the EU it is probably not legal. An extract from the Machinery Directive:

Digital instructions. Manufacturers shall be allowed to supply instructions in digital form. Should the customer request it, the manufacturer must supply the instructions in paper format. The EU declaration of conformity may be provided in digital form, partly completed machinery may be delivered with digital assembly instructions and with a digital declaration of incorporation.

The tip about the VESC-based project is very interesting! The culture of sharing information is definitely my thing! For my next project, I will go that way instead :)

Well, that quoted section doesn't say they have to provide it to *non*customers. ;) It just says that they are *allowed* to provide digital versions rather than paper, and if the *customer* asks for paper, they must supply it.

If you are an ASI customer (direct, vs via a dealer or used equipment), you'll have a login to their customer / dealer support site where they keep all that stuff, and so they would be providing the digital versions at least, presumably. (I don't have a login, not being an ASI customer, so I don't know what they actually keep in there).

Back