Is this a good bike choice for a bafang bbs02 conversion?

Those brakes are not up to it in my experience.
Hydraulics are a must on a bike with the capability of doing over 30Mph.

KINNINVIEKID said:
Those brakes are not up to it in my experience.
Hydraulics are a must on a bike with the capability of doing over 30Mph.

I don't plan on doing over 30mph. Just around 15-20mph. Maybe 25mph.

I actually decided to get this one now: http://www.myjamis.com/jamis/consumer/bike.html?year=2015&model=Commuter%201&cat_grp=strt_1

It has a steel frame so should be strong enough. I don't plan on going more than 20 mph on it so regular brakes should work fine?

Revbikes said:
I actually decided to get this one now: http://www.myjamis.com/jamis/consumer/bike.html?year=2015&model=Commuter%201&cat_grp=strt_1

It has a steel frame so should be strong enough. I don't plan on going more than 20 mph on it so regular brakes should work fine?

those brakes will do just fine.

Joppo said:
Revbikes said:

those brakes will do just fine.

thank you!

If you own a welder in all honesty I'd recommend making your own frame. It's hard to buy a frame for a bike with dimensions required for batteries, the suspension you'll wish you had and the sizing you'll want. It's just 30$ of steel and a 20$ donor bike to take cranks off. I can help you with CAD and other design if you'd like. I've built 5+ custom frames for electric and gas-I can have a frame done in a day or two. It's simple to do. I'm actually doing a build right now and could toss you the plans for it-A single long piece of square folded in certain places, two bearings and the front end off a donor bike plus the bottom bracket of the same donor bike. Simple stuff.

4sken said:
If you own a welder in all honesty I'd recommend making your own frame. It's hard to buy a frame for a bike with dimensions required for batteries, the suspension you'll wish you had and the sizing you'll want. It's just 30$ of steel and a 20$ donor bike to take cranks off. I can help you with CAD and other design if you'd like. I've built 5+ custom frames for electric and gas-I can have a frame done in a day or two. It's simple to do. I'm actually doing a build right now and could toss you the plans for it-A single long piece of square folded in certain places, two bearings and the front end off a donor bike plus the bottom bracket of the same donor bike. Simple stuff.

Thanks for the offer. But I'm still new to all this and I would prefer just building the motor and battery for now.

The jamis will make a good commuter, for use at up to 30 mph, using the BBso2.

Many here just assume you will soon want more and more speed, because it happened to them. If it happens to you, you'll be building an entirely new bike, and maybe even learning to weld.

But for the vast majority of riders, a solid commuter with assist is all they ever wanted, and going faster than 20 mph is just too scary.

The jamis will be perfect for a motor kit, and a dolphin pack battery, the kind that mounts on the top of the lower frame bar. Lots of space for it on that frame.

+1 with DD. FWIW, I have a BBS02 on a Nashbar steel frame, and it's perfect for me. Plus, that nice Jamis triangle should accommodate a Luna bag perfectly. I stuff mine with foam to nestle the battery in nicely. By the way, haven't had any problems with the Luna 52V, 10 ah battery getting warm. Maybe 30 mph isn't fast enough.

dogman dan said:
The jamis will make a good commuter, for use at up to 30 mph, using the BBso2.

Many here just assume you will soon want more and more speed, because it happened to them. If it happens to you, you'll be building an entirely new bike, and maybe even learning to weld.

But for the vast majority of riders, a solid commuter with assist is all they ever wanted, and going faster than 20 mph is just too scary.

The jamis will be perfect for a motor kit, and a dolphin pack battery, the kind that mounts on the top of the lower frame bar. Lots of space for it on that frame.

Ah I do apologize for not mentioning my speed that I would be going. I'm sure I would want more speed but that won't be for a while. So I think I'm good about that.

Err.

For bbs02 you don't need:
A steel frame. Aluminum is fine and is lighter.
A custom frame. Dolphin packs are fine for bbs02
to ditch hydro brakes. Personal preferences aside, mine have worked just fine on a bbsx set up for the last year

What you should do:
Read the mid drive bafang section of the wiki. I have summarized most of the pertinent threads there and added additional info about bbs ownership. Come back and ask queries of need be

Buy a bike with a decent fit, suitable for what you want to use it for.

Lurkin said:
Err.

For bbs02 you don't need:
A steel frame. Aluminum is fine and is lighter.
A custom frame. Dolphin packs are fine for bbs02
to ditch hydro brakes. Personal preferences aside, mine have worked just fine on a bbsx set up for the last year

What you should do:
Read the mid drive bafang section of the wiki. I have summarized most of the pertinent threads there and added additional info about bbs ownership. Come back and ask queries of need be

Buy a bike with a decent fit, suitable for what you want to use it for.

Thank you! That would open me with other options that are aluminum instead of steel. What is a bbsx set up??

And just to clarify, the bafang wiki is this https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/EBike_Motors_Middrive correct?

BBS01 BBS02 BBSHD => BBSXX = BBS style set up.

Yes, thats the correct wiki page. The BB information is a little out of date as Bafang released their latest products right after finishing off that segment. You can find the correct BB sizing options from their website being: http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/motor.html

Is important to check the BB width of the bike and ensure it is a match for the BB width of the BBSX unit you choose to buy. That and making sure it has enough clearance to hang off the frame without fouling on anything.

Lurkin said:
BBS01 BBS02 BBSHD => BBSXX = BBS style set up.

Yes, thats the correct wiki page. The BB information is a little out of date as Bafang released their latest products right after finishing off that segment. You can find the correct BB sizing options from their website being: http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/motor.html

Is important to check the BB width of the bike and ensure it is a match for the BB width of the BBSX unit you choose to buy. That and making sure it has enough clearance to hang off the frame without fouling on anything.

I see. How much clearance would I need for the motor? I got the bafang bbs02 750W 48v

Measure between the motor itself (bulgy bit) and the side of the crank spindle. Easier to measure on a unit which is off the bike. Feel free to post up the measurement on here. I'd measure mine but that would require taking it off the bike - easier to do with yours before its installed.

I have little doubt the BBs02 will fit that jamis.

The jamis frame says high tensile steel. But not chromoly steel. So it's a decent bike, but not as good as a high quality cromoly frame. If you want to upgrade the bike, there are aluminum models of the same bike.

Me, I'd just go with that steel, for a durable commuter, unless you live on the ocean.

Back