• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

issues with bike upgrade

cooljaysquat

10 mW
I ran into a few issues on my bike upgrade that I don’t understand how to resolve. One issue is that the front brakes don’t match up to the forks. I bought hydraulic 203 front and rear brakes. It seems as though the brake attachment on my new forks is in a different place on the fork than the new forks. My old forks had a side mount and the new forks have an inside mount. Even if the brake caliper could reach the fork it appears that the brakes will be rubbing the spokes. Plus, there is a 3/8th space for the front hub and the forks. The rear brakes don't line up either. There is also a 3/8th inch space in the back hub to the rear frame dropouts.

I’m almost there on this upgrade. My bike has been in upgrade production for a year. I would appreciate some help from my fellow electric bike buddies. Please help.

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• new forks with brakes inside mount.jpg
    new forks with brakes inside mount.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 353
  • space in rear hub.jpg
    space in rear hub.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 353
Brake mounts are not standard on various brands of forks. An adapter bracket is required, that normally can be found at distributors of your brand of brakes.

Thanks, but when i call up the fork company they won't talk to me unless I am a bike shop. SOO, frustrating! I can't take my bike into the bike shop becuase I have it halfed wired up but need it to work correctly as in roll and brake effectively for me to finish wiring it. I'm in a mess!

For the rear hub problem, you can make a spacer tube to fit inside your freewheel up to the axle washer on the hubmotor. I used an old set of alloy handlebars, cutting the end off and sticking it in there to fill the gap.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37837

file.php

file.php

A brake adapter bracket can be ordered without the need to bring you bike to the bike shop. You just need to specify the fork and caliper models. Then, it is easy to make one, I can make one in less than an hour using only manual tools.

I looks like all you need is a standard 6" to 8" disc brake adapter. You just need to know which directions the bolts go on the forks and on the caliper to get the right one. Bring the caliper and fork with you to be absolutely sure.

Since when did the lack of 1 brake stop someone from getting their ebike wiring right? :mrgreen:

Thanks, I found a brake adapter that I think will work. Thanks again for helping resolve the set backs in my bike upgrade. Will post my upgrade progress soon!

If you want steel spacers, various shops can sell you some spacer washers. Grin has em of course. Or you can grind your own from hardware store washers, cut steel pipe, etc.

Ya, another issue I have is there is a gap from my front hub to my fork. I have DMR 20mm hub on the 20mm spindle on fork. The hub slides in the fork spindle. I want to stabilize the hub from sliding side to side. How do I resolve that?

Back