ITS ALIVE Aussie Build COMPLETE!

Why bother making it look clean and neat for the crackhead thief to sell at the pawn shop?

mickk said:
I am having trouble removing the old decals, when I get them off I will touch up the frame.

Yes I hear ya, I know what you mean.
I am torn between making it look new and sticking old cable housings etc on it to make it looki less desirable to tea leaves.

Its a very moot point, if you make something look what it is worth, it stands out.

When its finished, I guess replacement value would be 2k.

I have the best D shackle Kryptonite lock, but plan to be very careful with it.

It is ready to go to the LBS to have the gears and brakes rigged, and special long chain fitted.
Then I will wire it up.

I decided, it was best to have the LBS do the life saving things for a few bucks.

I repainted my cable housings for reuse, but the paint came off as soon as they hit the runners.
tHE CABLES HAD THAT ANNOYING stray unwound strand, so decided to go with new ones.

Well after a break, I paid someone to solder wires, add anderson plugs. It was easier for me to pay someone $20 to join and solder and wrap connection for the battery and add plugs.
So now all that is left to do is slight modification to where the battery will sit.
Connect the dots, put controller in the housing, and away we go.
I decided that expanding foam is the go for what I need to do to make the battery solid.
Bunnings took all the expandable foam off the shelves until a couple of weeks ago, they said it has all been recalled.
Probably causes cancer.

ITS ALIVE! :bigthumb:

I need to do some cable management and mount the battery, but it works.
I put the battery in a backpack, took it for a spin. Definitely has some grunt but sat on 20 barely touched the throttle
I wont ramp it up till its all done.
One thing I noticed, the back brake does not cut the motor, only the front.
I will swap the front tyre for a slick the noise annoys me, but there is some gravel here so may leave it on for now.
Overall Im happy, took a long time but there was no rush.

Well mate it turns out the battery had a crimped wire, so had to wait for a replacement to arrive, it has so all good there.
When that arrived, the second test run, the rear marathon plus tour tyre shit itself. The bead was crimped when I got it, and where it was bent it failed. The slime tube tried to fix it, but it got detached and wrecked the tube.

So had to wait 2 weeks for a new tyre.

Back up and running today, seeing how long the battery will last. Its sat for a while so this test will be no good but looking forward to doing a 20 test loop to see how it does.

The motor is set to 60k max which is too quick for my liking, but wont adjust it until I get some data from this setting.,

Ok well after much stuffing around and a move interstate, some meaningful stats.

On country roads, up 450m and down 450m then back again I can report that the battery and leafbike motor can go
65k at an average speed of 30kph using pedal assist number 2 and sometimes 3.

The gearing is 52/11 biopace and probably need 54 to really get it going.

If I sit on 25kph pedal assist 2 I get 80k

I am adding another battery 48/13 to give me further range and I reckon one in each pannier will balance the weight better.

I am hoping for a good 100k range then, in lazy mode. My max commute to the shops is 75k so with a load will need extra grunt.

THe current LCD03 is not very accurate as far as the bars go so I have an LCD07 to fit and see how that goes.

Next upgrade is a new goose neck trailer for $150 and see how we go shopping with that.

Also no movement so far re torque on the axle. I didnt bother with the torque arms in the end.

I tried a few outback roads west of Mt Bryan but the corrugations are horrendous, not much fun. As you know we can dodge potholes and rocks but corrugations covered in bull dust, yuk.

I am glad I put some thought into the build as I have confidence nothing will break, touch wood. If it does, theres plenty of Road Trains here that would strap me to the bull bar no worries. Been there done that. Truckies are great they know their winds so move all the way over so much so its overkill but I love their support., idiots in shoe box cars are a worry.

I ride with eyes in the back of my head and if theres more than one, I just pull over, wait then crank it up to 60 and wonder what they are thinking when I emerge in the side view mirror pronto!

Back