Kelly controller problems. Two separate wires/programming

tdneVmoDK

100 W
I think that I may have damaged my new 72V KEB controller. - For my xm-4000 li erider/xtremescooter/zap.

When i got it, i connected it to a PSU like they do on the website, no
problem. I programmed it to 3 wire pot throttle(Is that correct?), and
configured everything else. Then, when it was ready, i disconnected
it, connected it to the bike, but it did not respond to throttle, and
did not give any error code. Only the green light.

Then I hooked it up to the computer again, with main contactor off,
and pre charge resistor off, and tried to connect, but the program
would not let me connect this time. Then i tried hooking it up to the
long separate wires (red and black) and give it 22 volt. Then i saw
the red light flash for ~0,1 second, and nothing happened. So i hooked
it up normally again. It
didn't say in the manual what the two wires are for, so i thought i
could connect it that way. I think maybe the two wires are for
external error code read out = connected directly to the red diode. Am i right? :(

So have i now destroyed the controller, or just the lights?

Do I have to disconnect motor and hall signals also when trying to connect to computer?

...I don't think you have damaged anything.

double check your wiring and check fuses, number 1.

you don't need to disconnect motor and halls etc. when your plugged in. But one thing you don't want to do is twist the throttle when it's plugged into the PC - controller may not function afterwards. Kelly will e-mail you a "Flash Burst" program - which effectively resets the controller. It's an easy fix, just got to get to the source of the problem.... I tend to think you may have twisted the throttle.

was it running prior to connecting to the PC??

Willow said:
...I don't think you have damaged anything.

double check your wiring and check fuses, number 1.

you don't need to disconnect motor and halls etc. when your plugged in. But one thing you don't want to do is twist the throttle when it's plugged into the PC - controller may not function afterwards. Kelly will e-mail you a "Flash Burst" program - which effectively resets the controller. It's an easy fix, just got to get to the source of the problem.... I tend to think you may have twisted the throttle.

was it running prior to connecting to the PC??

Hmm.. I don't think it can be fuses.

i programmed it to 3 wire pot. If it is analog instead, then maybe it think that I twist the throttle, although I don't?
But i have not touched the throttle with pc connected. I think that because it is programmed for 3 wire pot, and have analog connected, it screwed up?

And no, it never spun the wheel.

This is interesting because I seem to be having a similar problem,
I have a KEB72 controller for the past 3 years and have never had trouble communicating via PC with it until a few weeks ago when I changed my throttle to a magura (pot) throttle.
After doing this I can not communicate to the controller via PC anymore. I am not sure/dont remember if I twisted the throttle or not while it was hooked up to the PC. of course the main B+ battery was not hooked to the main power terminals, just to the small terminals that power the logic on the controller while i was connected to the PC.

I have been reading warning messages on kellys website about "not connecting to the computer while the motor is running" which I guess may also mean twisting the throttle during communication.

The controller itself works fine now, it just wont communicate with the PC anymore.

This is the first I've heard of any "Flash Burst" program to reprogram/reset the flash memory in the controller.
I will have to email kelly to get it and see if it fixes my comm problems. Sounds like the whole thing is some sort of bug in the kelly firmware that somehow screws up communication if the throttle is accidently twisted during communication. That is sort of a major flaw. I'm kind of paranoid about updating the flash in the controller, it works fine now but no communication anymore, but I would hate to turn it into a 'brick' with a bad flash program or something going wrong during the process.

depending on the controller... iv used a bunch of their models..

Some of the controllers need the rs232 converter box.. and some will simply work with a usb cable to rs232
its really weird and im sure there is an explanation why it doe's this.

my kbs mini brushless controller works perfect with a ebay usb to rs232
My KDS brushed controller does not work with the exact same cable
i have to use the serial cable plus the rs232 converter from kelly for it to actually work. otherwise it will tell me an error about it not being powered from memory

I have a universal logilink au0002b serial usb adapter DB9. Prolific drivers. Works fine.

It seems that it doesn't work, when motor, hall, battery -, brake signal is connected. I dismounted it, and connected it to my desktop, works fine. Can also connect to my laptop without problems.

So now, i'm just confused about my thottle. Is it 3 wire pot, or hall effect throttle? I have tried measuring resistance, but i cannot get any resistance, that depends on how much I twist the throttle. Resistance is the same between all three wires, no matter if i twist the throttle, or don't. So how can it be a pot?

But if i push the little eco button while measuring, it gives much more resistance

pics:
http://peecee.dk/upload/view/346556
http://peecee.dk/upload/view/346557

3-wire potentiometer... as long as they are in the correct sequence that should be ok. It's likely that the controller and throttle are ok... and theres something else, something small, something simple thats eluding you. Get another throttle for a test - just to eliminate one possible cause.

on a different note... have alook at a BMS for those batteries... http://www.evpower.com.au/-Thundersky-Battery-Balancing-System-.html

Willow said:
3-wire potentiometer... as long as they are in the correct sequence that should be ok. It's likely that the controller and throttle are ok... and theres something else, something small, something simple thats eluding you. Get another throttle for a test - just to eliminate one possible cause.

on a different note... have alook at a BMS for those batteries... http://www.evpower.com.au/-Thundersky-Battery-Balancing-System-.html

If it is 3-wire pot then i must either have misplaced some of the 3 wires, or maybe one of the hall sensors did not have contact.
I will not buy another throttle, as there are easier ways to test. I have a variable pot. I could hook that up instead. Or, i could just supply the throttle with 5V and measure the output when i twist the throttle.

I have BMS system on the cells?

Argh! It gives an error code, telling me, that there is a throttle problem. Is it 3-wire pot or hall? How can i test?

When i measure, it doesn't act like a pot.

I'm trying to get my 72801X working but I am in trouble: I connected only PWR and GND to see what happens, but I get a "1-3" error followed by "4-2" error, which should mean "low voltage" and "missing hall".
I tried with 19V power source (of a laptop) and with a 60V battery, same results.
I also connected the USB-serial cable, but sofware does not see the controller at all. How can I check if drivers downloaded from Kelly site are properly installed and cable is properly configured? I'm using windows8.

Back