Klein Mantra Meets BHT!

Thanks John, I gotta get back dug in and rip 'er apart to maintenance and refresh stuff.

In the mean time, I'm trying out new batteries. And now I think, I need to rethink my life :oops:

Just tryed 24s w/82a battery and 180a phase. With nominal cell voltage that's 7.3kw guaranteed and the bike weighs 58lbs. Geared for 45mph. Truly an insane handful. I want to take it down to 30-35mph, but I think the power might be beyond reason to handle. At least it would be more efficient though. I have the 13lb 10ah 24s battery in a backpack- so total rider weight is 184lb currently.

Also, fingers crossed the 100v fets and caps remain ok with the 80a . . . and 100v.

/////////////////////////////
One thing at a time. 24s 10ah is now on the bike and held great balance w/ full draws down to 3.9v, and down to 3.81v where I see sag to 3.5v. Will prob set lvc there (3.5v x 24). What a blast, and it's amazing how much better the bike feels with more evenly distributed weight. Should weigh 71-72lbs and the front feels just slightly heavier.

The plan is to gear down from 1:4.54 to 1:5.45, or maybe just to 1:5. It'll require less amps to get to 34-39mph respectively than the current 44mph, plus I can only pedal to about 29mph, and it IS a bicycle afterall.
At that point, if it looks like the 8c draw is too rough on these 25c batteries for the range I want, I can limit the draw, and come away with the same acceleration I played with today. It's pretty wicked fun. This is about 1kw more than I've ever run and a little faster.

To do:
Cycle batteries, test!!
remake a 6s jst, parallel the last two balance taps,
secure all 4x 6s taps and balance wiring,
wrap the pack in something water resistant and not completely ugly.
pull rear wheel, do fresh tire and check on freewheels, replace #35 drivetrain.
Probably grease up or replace deraileur,
change, patch, or slime a slow leak in front tube,
and swap front and rear brakes left and right on bar.

I think I just need to order a 60t sprocket if going with the 35mph 1:5 ratio

View attachment 7
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7__1487102050_71_207_58_71.jpg
View attachment 1

I got a good mess goin, time to clean up. Still have to finish fastening balance parallel plugs and wrap/cover the pack, but I installed a new chain and newer sram deraileur, the new 35# sprockets/chain, and checked out the adapter and white industries FW.

The bike felt really nice and controllable yesterday at bottom of charge, but upon rigging up a 100v charger and riding on a fresh charge it's just damn ridiculous again. I went with a 55t rear sprocket, so it's geared down 10% and that kinda makes it worse lol. It was running 7.5kw hot off charger (even in the cold) and that is too much for ~40mph topspeed and 240lbs. I guess it's time to drop the amps toward 70a- This should be kinda nicer @ 7c on the batteries, cooler on the 11lb bht for the hot weather, and hopefully be kinder to the 100v fets/caps, while keeping 6kw lvc and 6.3kw nominal. Prob drop the phase amps to 160a too.

Anyway, these holly rollers are pretty tall and really bite in. I need to find more @ 20-25$!! Gearing is a little fast, but that keeps the torque from falling off @ 30-35mph. I need to find my camera to do some on-board video, once it's all buttoned up. Yesterday I kept finding myself where I was pointed way faster than intended lol. Feels like I'm on the verge of breaking this light weight bike and suspension :lol:

They got pretty saw-toothed at the end, but 2yrs of dirty abuse and ~60$ to replace is quite acceptable imo. Most of the miles were hammering it, very little 'highway' miles. You have a bht too I think, I went 35# cuz it's rated good vs weight/price, and yes it's been very acceptable. Something like 5 rear tires vs 1 set chain/sprockets.
Fyi I used a blank aluminum rear that needs the center hole enlarged 1-2" OD and drilled to mount, and the front is a steel one I cut the keyway off, slightly enlarged ID and tack in two places to the shaft. It wasn't hard to do the stuff by hand with a die grinder and rotary burr.

If I used something else I'd strongly consider more fancy and expensive #219, but don't know if it would hold up as well and think it'd cost alot more. #4xx just seems too big?

I really like your build nutspecial! I wish it was easier solution to do something like yours. Seems like some custom work needs to be done and don't have access or skills to do it.

Hey, do u know how loud this compared to a cyclone?

Thanks again.

Thanks! I actually could only guess about the cyclone- I think they have an extra reduction in the motor which would make them louder I think? I've never even seen another middrive in person, but mine is trap sine motor whine and one reduction 1:5. Evolutiongts of Laebike would probably know, he's run the bht @ >50mph and also had middrives I think.

Anyway, I agree it takes some time and effort, and you pretty much need a particular bike design. The reward worth it though imo! There's also lightnighrods' new mid-direct kit that can bolt directly on raptor type frames- I'm very curious to see that go mainstream!

Varied from crawling, mud, and wot pavement. I did pedal, for all that was worth lol.
10ah battery went from full to 3.83v /cell balanced. I'm happy with that.

Back