KMX Video Multi Angle Camera Shots

Hehe...I got pulled the first day out on the KMX.was cresting a hill on a lovely quiet road, looked over the brow, and could see only 2 trials motorbikes coming towards me in the distance.....so I gunned it a little down the hill....turns out the trials bikes had cops on them! One flagged me down and asked if the vehicle was powered, I said "yes, it has a 200w electric motor"....he said "OK sir, have fun" and left :D
Since then I pt in a "low power relay" to cut voltage to a legalish amount in case they insist on trying it :lol:

M8 has promised a video cam..I'll see what I can get!
Anyone going to prestigiene elecrtric bike race this year? 2 KMX's racing would be fun as hell!

Jozzer said:
Anyone going to prestigiene elecrtric bike race this year?

Electric bike races?!?!

:shock:

Sounds like FUN, Jozzer! Are you going? Where and when does this happen? Is this a circuit course?

-S
Edit: Two KMXs, racing -with cameras mounted on them would be freakin' cool to see.

Hi Steve

Yes its a bike Rally held here in the UK, I may make an appearance not 1oo% sure yet, I am always last minute on everything! and yes 2 KMX racing would be great fun. Its more of a rally than a race from what it looks like and they normally sit a fit light rider to one of the top dealer bikes!

In a straight race around there I think I would have a very good chance of lapping everybody to win! ha ha, I dont think its really the point at Prestigne its more of a friendly eco event than a race, although a proper peddles off e-bike race would be great fun, I have had 2 e-bike races so far and won both of them.

Prestigne may be fun, ill have to see if i can make room for it.

Cheers

Knoxie

Hehe...I hope to go for sure. I think nickF (from the Vis forums) is going...he lives 10 mins from here...so i should get a lift ok! I understand he has been building several new bikes all winter :shock:
If I can get the last batterypack on the KMX then we should be evenly matched for speed/power Paul (only 72 atm...another 12 pending when astroflight charger gets here)...probably then the deciding factor will be courage! (perhaps you would win in that case....you are a couple of years younger/keener than me :wink: )

knoxie,

I want to build myself a KMX speed machine like yours....

I'm thinking of getting an X model... does that make sense?

Could you list all the extra e-components on your system and where someone could buy them?

knowing what you know now, do you think the motor you have or a hub motor makes better sense?

ps.... is there anything that you DON'T like about KMX trikes or recumbent trikes in general?

are they comfy? are they as safe on the road as a regualr bike? are they as fast? are there any downsides or is it all good?

Hi Devin

Yes they are a lot of fun first and foremost, the X class is the one that I have and yes its the only option for me as the others are too small.

As far as e-components you could try evdeals as they may have some currie kits left however I think a geared Hub motor like the Puma would be a neater option, or even an X5, maybe a 2 speed xlyte motor if not! The Pumas are still being tested at higher voltages, I think I may try one in the KMX so I will let you know.

You would also need the pannier kit to carry the batteries as well and maybe a thumb throttle, I am using a neat little lever throttle developed by Tony at http://www.electrodrive.co.uk Ill ask him where he got that from, it works really nice. I am sure an X5 would be nice however it may not have enough low down torque you could try one one of the other xlytes as a top speed of 24mph or so feels very fast.

They are safe and stable and I feel ok on the open road in them, think I would feel a little vulnerable in really heavy traffic, would hit the sidewalk then maybe. They are very comfortable and you can really crank hard on the pedals as you are essentially pushing in to your back, on 72V its mental!!

I think from new the Puma at 37V or 48V would be great fun on a KMX and would shift you to 30mph on 48V you dont want to go much faster 2 inches off the ground! be a lot of fun out the other side of the bridge, you cant nip through gaps like you can on a bike though, thats the only downside I can think of? handling is superb, you have to stop peddling though at 40mph as it unsettles it, its safer to lie back and keep a firm grip!! you dont need as much power as you do on a normal bike esp if you kick the boom back and keep nice and low! its very efficient.

There is a new version coming but I dont know when its coming out, just off to watch your last video!

Cheers

Knoxie

how strong are the dropouts on an X version?

i'm currently running an X5 at 72V on my custom-built front fork with no torque arm, as the dropouts are quite strong... do you think 72V would be too much for the dropouts of a KMX??

can a KMX-X frame handle a normal sized mountain bike rear-wheel? (26 inch)

how come you chose a USPD Koll motor over a hub motor? are you happy with the decision?

any chance you could photograph the droupouts with the rear wheel off from the side as well as the back?

one more question.... is riding one of these trikes something thats fun the first day but then after a few rides you get bored of it, or is it truly a revelation and a great new way to ride that never gets old.

Only one way to answer that....

WWWHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :lol:
I'll be surprised if I ever ride anything else now. I'd change it only if the new model has minimul rear suspension and seat for us older folk..

d said:
one more question.... is riding one of these trikes something thats fun the first day but then after a few rides you get bored of it, or is it truly a revelation and a great new way to ride that never gets old.

I have a Green Speed GT3 it's a different trike but they are truely addictive, mine is ~3 years old and has 10 to 15 thousand km's on it.
I built a couple of 2 wheeled recumbents but ended up stripping them and built another trike with low powered assist.
I don't think I will ever really go back to 2 wheelers except for off road.
If you get bored on a trike you are not cornering fast enough.
Oh one other thing you will see a lot more of your surroundings, silly but true as you are not watching the road so much.

Hi D

The dropouts are beefy on the rear and yes I am sure they will take the power of an X5, you could make a plate up or get a torque arm made if you were worried at all. The X class can handle a 26 Inch normal MTB wheel its all standard, the smaller karts can not of course.

I got the KMX kart from Tony at electrodrive, he had it stuck outside getting in his way and I was offered it to add a motor and run at a multitude of speeds, the base bike came with just the drive plate, I added in one of my modified motors and Mark from Team Hybrid supplied me with the controller and battery (hence their names splattered all over all my videos, its the least I could do!) I am happy with the USPD however I think 72V is a lot to drive through the spokes, this may be an issue over time so I would recommend a hub motor if you are going to run 72V unless you can get the USPD hub adaptors, they are a special hub that bolts straight to the drive plate of the USPD eliminating spoke damage.

Ill take some photos of the bike as and when I get a minute! Jozzer may be able to help out? As far as riding its a great addition to the stable, I would not ride one in place of a normal MTB day to day because I can nip through traffic quicker and generally commute faster, the KMX is a great weekend and occasional commuter, If you have a lot of cycle lanes and parks its a great machine, I never tire of riding it and as Jozzer says cornering is mind blowing! get some elbow pads on if you are really going to lean it as you can get them on 2 wheels easy and you can tip them if you really try so a good helmet (full face always) and good gloves is a must.

The ride is firm as there is no suspension however the seat is comfy and the frame does give because it is steel, I find it really helps if you sit up a little when you go over really bumpy stuff or speed humps in the road it doesn't jar you around quite as much, other than that you can see from the videos what a laugh they are, even in the snow!!

Cheers

Knoxie

Hmm...have you ever tried a 26" wheel in yours Paul? Mine wont take one...even with only a 1.50 tyre on it.

Cant make mine stay on 2 wheels yet (like the kids on the video's on KMX homepage)...how about you Paul? :lol:

Hi D

Cool!! just checked my KMX and it has a 24 Inch wheel on it? I could have sworn it had a 26 incher, the RT class one does take one, it not a big deal though, they come with those nice and snazzy hookworm tyres! they are great, you will love the KMX for racing about in, play around and get used to it first before you motorize it, good news :)

P

knoxie.... i can't wait!!

ypedal... I ordered an "X" and it costed $1299 US including shipping. Also ordered a set of pannier racks which was $75 US[/i]

link: http://www.kmxus.com

Knoxie, I just realized who you are. I saw your snow-KMX video on google before I knew this site existed. It:

#1: Got me excited enough to jump from a different e-project into e-bikes, and

#2: got me interested in bents for the first time in my life, I know a powered tadpole is in my near future. Until you got me interested enough to research it, I would have considered a bent to merely be a slow freakcycle. Now I know it is a fast freakcycle - and I want to be the freak riding one.

So I'd really like to thank you for expanding my horizons. However, my wife would like to have a few words with you regarding the amount of time I am spending on the project. :D

Your video is right - this is the way forward.

John

Hello John

Ha ha right thanks for the compliments!! he he, yes the KMX is such a lot of fun to ride and the nice thing is you don't need silly power on them to have fun either, I run mine at 37V it will do 21-24 mph which is enough when you are that low down and it climbs very well.

Yes you can feel a little freaky as everyone goggles at you ha but you get over that after the first couple of rides though, it doesn't bother me at all, they are very stable and I feel quite safe riding one as well, my bike can produce about 1200 watts which is more than enough and way over our legal limit, however I do peddle like fury as well as it helps keep my weight down and keep me in shape.

I am glad I have managed to convince some of you!! I know the KMX and trikes are not everyone's taste but people need to take a ride on an electric one before they make any assumptions.

Its an efficient unit as well, I can hold speeds on the flat of 20mph with 1/3 the power I have to use on the bike as I offer up less wind resistance, so they make a good choice if you want to push the range out as well.

Right good luck with your project and apologise to your wife for me! ha ha

Knoxie

Hi D
what motor system are you going to go for?
Hub like the Puma or the USPD route like on Knoxie's.
If you have not yet spent cash I have a few ideas similar to Knoixe but without the problem of broken spokes.The cost should not be too bad.

Geoff

Hi D
the route I took is the same as is used on the Lashout system (though I didn't know about it at the time) instead of attaching the sprocket to a mounting using the spokes like with the USPD, the sprocket is attached to a disk brake hub which the KMX comes with. The rest of the system is similar to a USPD chaindrive, 1/4 inch chain, 4.8 reduction gearbox with 8mm D to 19 tooth sprocket output, motor like the BMC or MAC, speed controller, throttle and batteries.
I must say the motor and speed controller I use as a result of stuff I read and saw that came from knoxie and the best place to put batteries is also where he put his though I think I thought of this before I saw what he had done.
If you go down this route beware changing the tyre is a pig so take precautions against punctures, the most usful is the puncture resistent tape .

geoff

Hi all
knoxie said:
Ha ha right thanks for the compliments!! he he, yes the KMX is such a lot of fun to ride and the nice thing is you don't need silly power on them to have fun either, I run mine at 37V it will do 21-24 mph which is enough when you are that low down and it climbs very well.

Yes you can feel a little freaky as everyone goggles at you ha but you get over that after the first couple of rides though, it doesn't bother me at all, they are very stable and I feel quite safe riding one as well, my bike can produce about 1200 watts which is more than enough and way over our legal limit, however I do peddle like fury as well as it helps keep my weight down and keep me in shape.

I am glad I have managed to convince some of you!! I know the KMX and trikes are not everyone's taste but people need to take a ride on an electric one before they make any assumptions.

Its an efficient unit as well, I can hold speeds on the flat of 20mph with 1/3 the power I have to use on the bike as I offer up less wind resistance, so they make a good choice if you want to push the range out as well.
Knoxie

Knoxie a few questions
the 1200 watts was that peak/maximum wattage on the 36/37v Lipoly pack?
The same pack with holding speeds of 20mph?
What wattage did you have at the above 20mph?

Me at the moment I'm running a KMX on a 48v NiMh pack with a Kollmorgon, I get about 1400 watts peak and cruse at 25 mph approx 850 watts.the only problem I have is at 25 Its too fast to peddle unless I have a cadence of 100 and that causes the KMX to wobble, so instead I peddle slower just to keep plod(police) happy :twisted: if I'm in town that is.

thats all for now

Geoff

Back