Kona Stinky RC

The DD frame (pictured far right in Rodgers SIG) Is in fact a frame being modded for Rodger by forum memberTimma2500... No build log yet, im afraid :-( Paul should have out finished soon though, not much left to do on it. The other frames they were fabricated by a professional welder friend of Rodgers also, at considerable $$$, hence the extremely high quality finish :wink: ...hopefully will see one running this week? He should be back from the mine soon to work on them! I'm Very keen to get his impression on the cruisers performance with the astro and recumpence drive, think you will be struggling to mono this one buddy lol.

KiM

AussieJester said:
at considerable $$$

lol its only 25 an hour, I pay more for a massage.....its the wait sometimes that's the problem.

waynebergman said:
Nice batch of frames there. Is there another thread on the go for the DD hub build you have on the go. I have a tig welder myself and I will be fabricating an enclosure for my batteries up in the main triangle of my 2004 Team DH Giant for battery storage and its nice to see what others are doing with fabricated enclosures welded to or fastened to the frame. ...............thanks Wayne

No thread yet....as kim said, waiting for the frame then I will make a thread. DH Teams are great frames.

Update:

New pictures of the laser cut parts done and a little assembly to show what its all about......pics 1st page :wink:

Oh hell yes absolutely no arguement there matey
My fabricator mates would laugh at doing a job for that little amount, your lucky there thats for sure :wink: ...but enough of that, let us hear more about these"massages" Rodgah, does lady Kym know about these? I certainly hope they dont include a "HAPPY ENDING" :p :mrgreen:

KiM

recumpence said:
AussieJester said:
I certainly hope they dont include a "HAPPY ENDING" :p :mrgreen:

KiM

Happy for who? :mrgreen:

Matt

Definately wouldn't be happy for Rodger if Miss Kym found out thats for sure!!! HAHA
he wouldnt do that though he's a good boy....whipped, but a good boy :mrgreen:

KiM

update...

added pics of mounting the neugart inside the frame. I have since mounted the motor in as well but its hardly worth a pic....just the shaft sticking out of the bearing

I have also ordered one of them turnigy deluxe ESC's to see if they are much chop, but I dont hold much hope :lol: (I think i will mount it outside of the box for its inevitable flame out).

I am working my way towards a modular drive / battery enclosure that should weld into any alloy frame....I am just trying different ideas at the moment. I am not happy with the weight of the neugart and the price is out of most peoples range, so I will probably end up with a double #25 reduction to gear down to crank speeds.....and a removable motor plate to suit different motors....HXT/astro/rotomax.....all ideas at the moment.

Cheers

hey guys,

few pictures added at the start of the thread......neugart shaft/sprockets/fw adaptor etc....
also had the frame changed a little around the head stem to allow more steering angle as it felt a bit restrictive.....changes make it much nicer to ride.

I have had alot of thought about mounting the batteries and where to cut a hole in the frame for access. I have come up with an idea to mount all the batteries to a lid that screws up under the bottom of the bike (where the spray off the front wheel hits). This then leaves me with the problem of trying to plug something in while there is no access....unless i use really long leads and they coil up as I push the battery 'module' up into the frame :? .

Also the motor creates quite a racket in the frame. It is not overly loud by itself on the bench, no where near as quiet as an astro but not obnoxious, but in the frame....need ear plugs :lol: . I think (hope) the sound will be dampened with the other side cover on and the batteries in the frame stopping the echoing. Note....in the video, I was talking loudly but for some reason it must of normalized the sound due to the really loud bike my voice became quiet :? . Other thing....the chain and neugart add very little sound to the overall noise, id say 90% of the noise is the motor alone.

[youtube]Prxfr69n3MY[/youtube]

Ill keep moving on, Im not impressed by how its turning out so far (noise) but I've done too much now to not finish it.

Cheers

I think the aluminum is acting like an amplifier box as well. I'm working on mine this winter, it will have a similar setup. I will be using a fiberglass housing. Hopefully, you get the noise issue down. One of the reasons RC setups have less appeal for me, but the power to weight won out.

Here is what I have so far, the ratio is around 11:1. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14842&start=2670. I haven't started a thead on it yet, waiting for more to get done.

The noise is the thing that finally turned me off of the R/C drives I was going to build. I thought I could make it quiet, but after many tries with various sound damping materials I finally gave up. Too much fab work for the drives as well in my opinion... Unless you own a CNC!

This looks stunning!
Any more updates / pics of this build?

Back