KT controller identification/replacement

chook2002

100 µW
Hello, I'm new to the forum and need some controller advice, I've cooked my controller ( reverse polarity don't ask) so looking for a replacement which has a torque sensor wire, everyone I've looked at doesn't have one, any ideas ? I've attached a picture of the blown controller. Having said that I'm assuming the sensor on the rear drop out on the cassette side is a torque sensor. I've identified all the connections on the controller except this one.TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409-054259_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409-054259_Facebook.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 7
AFAICR the KT series doesn't have an input for TS, or firmware support for it.

There might be in the OSF open source firmware elsewhere on this forum, not sure if you have to add wires for it, or if it takes over the throttle input wire (eliminating throttle ability).

Do you actually have a TS (will have analog voltage output based on torque thru or on the sensor)? This will provide more assist the harder you are pushing on the pedals, so if that doesn't happen, it's either not a TS or the system isn't using it as one.

Or is it a cadence sensor (will have pulses on the output based on rotation speed)? This is almost always used as just an on/off senosr to detect if you are pedalling or not, and engages assist at the full amount of the presently-selected assist level.

Do you have an image of the sensor itself?

Keep in mind that when you replace the controller, if you don't use another of the same model/brand/etc you already have, any display you have probably won't work as expected (it may turn the system on/off, and the battery meter may work, but that's usually all). So if you change to some other controller type, and want a display, you'll need to get the display that comes with it, too.

Last edited:
AFAICR the KT series doesn't have an input for TS, or firmware support for it.

There might be in the OSF open source firmware elsewhere on this forum, not sure if you have to add wires for it, or if it takes over the throttle input wire (eliminating throttle ability).

Do you actually have a TS (will have analog voltage output based on torque thru or on the sensor)? This will provide more assist the harder you are pushing on the pedals, so if that doesn't happen, it's either not a TS or the system isn't using it as one.

Or is it a cadence sensor (will have pulses on the output based on rotation speed)? This is almost always used as just an on/off senosr to detect if you are pedalling or not, and engages assist at the full amount of the presently-selected assist level.

Do you have an image of the sensor itself?

Keep in mind that when you replace the controller, if you don't use another of the same model/brand/etc you already have, any display you have probably won't work as expected (it may turn the system on/off, and the battery meter may work, but that's usually all). So if you change to some other controller type, and want a display, you'll need to get the display that comes with it, too.
Thank's for the reply, I've attached an image of the sensor along with the connector, which is the one with my thumb on it.

Attachments

• 20240409_085007.jpg
    20240409_085007.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240409_085223.jpg
    20240409_085223.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
Hard to tell much about the actual sensor, but the style of aluminum block mounting is similar to the typical shape/etc for dropout torque sensors, like these:
1712622943998.png 1712622957268.png
1712623018136.png
etc

If it is a TS, then that KT probably has custom firmware on it to work with it.

This thread
may be helpful, talks about the OSFW for KT and torque sensors (there's others like it)

Without the sensor? sure...you just won't have torque control, and will have to either use a throttle or a compatible cadence sensor (usually mounted on the BB shell with a magnet ring on the crankshaft).

If you really liked the way it worked with the TS, you probably will be disappointed without it: the cadence sensor with factory KT firmware is only on/off--if you pedal, at all, it engages the assist in full at the chosen level. Otherwise, there's no assist. The throttle would give you normal control of the system per whatever settings you choose in the display menus.

That's how pretty much every controller typically works. (except those like certain KT and Lishui controllers that can use the OSFW)

An option to add TS to "any" controller is the ebikes.ca Cycle Analyst v3, the TS and throttle connect to it, you set it up to react to the inputs however you want, then it outputs a throttle signal to your controller. It's not plug-and-play, though, and will take some time and experimentation to set it up and tune it to behave exactly how you want. Not terribly cheap, either.

Without the sensor? sure...you just won't have torque control, and will have to either use a throttle or a compatible cadence sensor (usually mounted on the BB shell with a magnet ring on the crankshaft).

If you really liked the way it worked with the TS, you probably will be disappointed without it: the cadence sensor with factory KT firmware is only on/off--if you pedal, at all, it engages the assist in full at the chosen level. Otherwise, there's no assist. The throttle would give you normal control of the system per whatever settings you choose in the display menus.

That's how pretty much every controller typically works. (except those like certain KT and Lishui controllers that can use the OSFW)

An option to add TS to "any" controller is the ebikes.ca Cycle Analyst v3, the TS and throttle connect to it, you set it up to react to the inputs however you want, then it outputs a throttle signal to your controller. It's not plug-and-play, though, and will take some time and experimentation to set it up and tune it to behave exactly how you want. Not terribly cheap, either.
Rigjt, id only ridden the bike once, I bought it and it had no battery I borrowed one just to see if it actually went so I've got no preconceived idea about its performance, having said that I have another bike very similar which I ride daily, it has no torque sensor just the pas and throttle which I'm happy with so this bike without the torque sensor operating would be the same ride I guess?

so this bike without the torque sensor operating would be the same ride I guess?
Yup, and it becomes a fancy derailleur hanger. What does the bottom bracket area on your bike look like?
If you need a display, then it’s probably best to get a kit, with a controller, PAS, and display. They come with a throttle and brake levers with cutoffs, or you could use your existing one. It’s the most economical route, even though you may end up with extra parts.

Last edited:
Yup, and it becomes a fancy derailleur hanger. What does the bottom bracket area on your bike look like?
If you need a display, then it’s probably best to get a kit, with a controller, PAS, and display. They come with a throttle and brake levers with cutoffs, or you could use your existing one. It’s the most economical route, even though you may end up with extra parts.
Yep, I think thats the way to go I wonder if I stick with another KT controller would it just be a plug and play swap and if the display I have would be compatible, although no biggie to swap it over

Yep, I think thats the way to go I wonder if I stick with another KT controller would it just be a plug and play swap and if the display I have would be compatible, although no biggie to swap it over
If the stock controller had custom firmware, then I'm guessing the display would need to be compatible with that.

You can get just the controller and display as a set, and the PAS unit separately, but at least with a kit, you don't need to worry about changing connectors or wiring orders. You may, for the stock components you retain, or for the motor hall sensor connector, but at the least the new parts will all connect easily.

Is the motor connector a single multi pin connector? If it's the style KT uses, then it's probably best to stick with KT and a model with those type of connectors. For example:
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot about the pic you already posted.

Rather than the JST type

What do the wires going to your motor look like?

Last edited:
If the stock controller had custom firmware, then I'm guessing the display would need to be compatible with that.

You can get just the controller and display as a set, and the PAS unit separately, but at least with a kit, you don't need to worry about changing connectors or wiring orders. You may, for the stock components you retain, or for the motor hall sensor connector, but at the least the new parts will all connect easily.

Is the motor connector a single multi pin connector? If it's the style KT uses, then it's probably best to stick with KT and a model with those type of connectors. For example:
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot about the pic you already posted.

Rather than the JST type

What do the wires going to your motor look like?
Out of the controller its the flat 5/6 pin style then at the motor it's the round 9 pin type

Back