ku65 running 50v

pacamu

10 mW
hi
got a kit Q85 36v from bms hong kong includes ku65 and all bits to go with pas sensor, throttle, cables ect
also got a 50.4v 14s battery.
can i use 50v with the pas unit and ku65 and it will all run ok
or do i need to adjust some things so it will not blowup something.
sorry about the silly q.
paul

edit

I don't know if I fully understand your question. It's probable that the controller, the BMS and maybe other things are not going to be able to handle the higher voltage. So it would be likely you would need to replace the parts with compatible parts. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your components.

I'm not sure what battery chemistry works out to 14S=50V :roll:
My RC LIpo packs top charges like this;
12S=50V
14S=58.2V
15S=63.3V

The KU63 controller(same as KU65, but w/out PAS)uses 63V Caps.
I have run 14S and even 15S(briefly)thru the KU63, so the answer to your question is, yes you can.

Hi,

I have a KU63 on my bike. The capacitors are 50V 47µF and 50V 470 µF.
I use it with a 12S lipo battery (50.4V charged) and it works very well. I have made 2 400 km on 10S and 4 000 km on 12S with it.
Now I want to use a 13S battery : 54.6V charged. I will try, but capacitors will maybe blow up...

ferias77 said:
Hi,

I have a KU63 on my bike. The capacitors are 50V 47µF and 50V 470 µF.
I use it with a 12S lipo battery (50.4V charged) and it works very well. I have made 2 400 km on 10S and 4 000 km on 12S with it.
Now I want to use a 13S battery : 54.6V charged. I will try, but capacitors will maybe blow up...

make sure to report back with your success/failure story. I'd be interested to see how the controller holds up to the 13S battery voltage.

I've been running a KU63 on 14S for almost two years now.

I think the poster who said his caps were 50V has the 24V kit version.
Mine are the 36V kit versions and like I said have run up to 15S though them.

motomech said:

I just looked in one of my latest KU63 controllers: 500v capacitors!

If anybody is thinking of using a KU93 with a Q85 or Q100 - don't do it. Those that tried had to get replacement motors or do difficult repairs. The controller can handle the higher voltages OK, but the motors can't take the 22 amps that the controller gives - especially at 53V.

If anybody is thinking of using a KU93 with a Q85 or Q100 - don't do it. Those that tried had to get replacement motors or do difficult repairs. The controller can handle the higher voltages OK, but the motors can't take the 22 amps that the controller gives - especially at 53V.

i hear you thans for that.
mine is a 36v
paul

motomech said:
No, my KU63 is the 36V version : 36V controller and Q100 36V 328 RPM.
Your battery is a lipo 14S battery, so 58.8V max ?
Could you verify if the capacitors are 50V too ? If it is ok, I will try with a lipo 13S battery !

d8veh said:
I just looked in one of my latest KU63 controllers: 500v capacitors!
I guess you wanted to write 50V ?

"The elcos have a voltage rating of 50V or 63V."

http://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/electronics/ku63-motor-controller.html#h0-1-10-increasing-the-ku63-voltage

There is all kinds of stuff on the KU63/KU65 on the net

no joy here
put it together exept for the pas unit and not working so far with the hand throttle.
does the pas sensor need to be spinning for the hand throttle to work.
also noticed the dashboard unit will power on with the power button and all the leds light up but will not power down.
paul

Check that the colour match on each side of each connector. You don't need PAS connected for the throttle to work. If the colours all match, disconnect the brakes and PAS to see if that fixes it. You can bypass the panel by applying 36v to the blue wire on the 4-way connector. I'm not sure what happens to PAS like that. You'll either get max assist or nothing. When you say you're running with 50v, do you mean 12S lipos, which should be OK? If not, what battery do you have?

pacamu said:
no joy here
put it together exept for the pas unit and not working so far with the hand throttle.
also noticed the dashboard unit will power on with the power button and all the leds light up but will not power down.
paul

The fact that it won't power down indicates an interesting problem. I've personally never seen that symptom before, has anyone else? Perhaps the higher voltage is overloading the controller and the caps are staying too highly charged for the display to 'power off'?

mlt34 said:
pacamu said:
no joy here
paul

The fact that it won't power down indicates an interesting problem. I've personally never seen that symptom before, has anyone else? Perhaps the higher voltage is overloading the controller and the caps are staying too highly charged for the display to 'power off'?
sent mail to bms see what happens with them regarding controller

d8veh said:
Check that the colour match on each side of each connector. You don't need PAS connected for the throttle to work. If the colours all match, disconnect the brakes and PAS to see if that fixes it. You can bypass the panel by applying 36v to the blue wire on the 4-way connector. I'm not sure what happens to PAS like that. You'll either get max assist or nothing. When you say you're running with 50v, do you mean 12S lipos, which should be OK? If not, what battery do you have?
all the colours matctup used cellman ebike tester to test parts all good except for the controller but that might be me. sent cellman mail regarding using tester.
the cellman battery is 2C NCM Cells 14S, 10P-40A BMS, height 140 x width 101 x length 276 putting out 52v at the moment.
i ran the cellman controller with the bms motor and all ran good no luck with the bms controller maybe bms mail will help me out.

i should explain i bought bms q85 with ku65 kit Q85 36V200W-250W Front V-Brake E-Bike Kit with LED Meter 328 - Customized - Wheel(rim) size: 20" for folder bike suit small fork opening.

and bought from em3ev
Mac Torque Kit-20", front 10T Standard, 6 fet 3077, thumb throttle, 3 speed, ebrakes
Thumb Throttle + 3 speed
EB3 program cable
ebrakes
Ebike Tester
Grin Tech Front Torque Arm-Rev.3 Front
DCDC-15W, 3A OP, adjustable DC output (1.2V-30V, ), 4.5V-55V
half twist throttle
PAS Display with Sensor
2C NCM Cells 14S, 10P-40A BMS, height 140 x width 101 x length 276
58.8V 5A charger
for another bike willl share battery between both bikes
paul