la Nina rears her ugly head

No explanation needed...

Attachments

• C748CDE4-A7FD-4BCC-B6FF-0C61E12473EA.jpeg
    C748CDE4-A7FD-4BCC-B6FF-0C61E12473EA.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 1,702
Well, another 3.1" last night, which brings the storm total to 8.2". About the same as the last atmospheric river event. That's a lot of rain for 2 days. If it was snow, it would be about 8 feet, which is what they got in the Sierras.

Season total over 46" now, which is above average. This time last year, 10.8". More rain predicted for the weekend and next week.

Been sunny and warm last few days, mid-70s during the day, 50s late at night thru just before dawn. Predicted to be about the same the next week or so last time I looked.

Dogs don't like it as much as the cold weather, except Yogi, who like me, has trouble with the colder weather; he likes it about like it is now.

I havent' been able to enjoy it (or my time off work) though, cuz I've had a head cold and general bleh since Monday. Is lots better now, maybe tomorrow I can start working on my zillion projects for the few days left.

Tonight
Rain, mainly after 4am. Low around 50. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Saturday
Rain before 10am, then showers after 10am. High near 61. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 60. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday Night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
******************************************************************************* :)

6 inches of MORE snow. Springs floods on the Mississippi are a hot discussion. Picket fence covered up to 38" !

Total precipitation as of 08:00am this morning.
STATION PRECIP(IN) ELEVATION(FT)
SDHET HEMET VALLE VISTA 0.28 2050
Storm moving out to the east in this Pacific Southwest Radar View:
https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php
Snow level up around 8,000 feet. Still the road to Idyllwild is completely closed just east of Valle Vista. Highway 18 repaired so Big Bear is back in business.

About 1.1" more overnight. Even the slightest rain causes a lot of runoff now.

I want to go riding again. :(

Our "mostly sunny" day turned out all cloudy, and while I worked on the trike in the yard it got darker until sprinkling started, and slowly turned into rain hard enough to force me to move it into the shed to continue (story continued in the trike thread).

It's sunny now, of course...but the weather prediction is for potential showers now and then today, and did show more for tomorrow and the next day, but now it says it'll be clear and sunny after today until maybe Tuesday or so.

So good weather still for the rest of the project work to get done while I'm on "vacation".

The mulberry trees are all coming back to life now, after the heavy rain last week adn the warm weather with sun we're having now. Lantana recovering from frost damage.

Well, it sort of stopped raining for almost a day and I had a chance to go for a ride. About 90% of the trail was nice. The other 10% was super saturated squishy mud with flowing water in most cases. The fat bike was certainly the right tool for the job here. Even then, I had trouble crossing some of the patches. On a side slope the bike had a tendency to fishtail when the rear wheel started to spin.

Img_1115.jpg

Bike got a good mud bath. Guess I should put a fender there during the rainy season.

Img_1118.jpg

More rain coming tomorrow. I'm over 46" for the season. Normal is around 35" for the whole year. Last year I had 20.8" for the entire season.

We could have up to 1.25” of rain during the forecast period. :D

https://www.goes.noaa.gov/dml/west/fd/rbtop.html

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 44. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Tuesday
A chance of rain after 10am. Increasing clouds, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Tuesday Night
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 52. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Wednesday
Rain. High near 61. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Southeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Thursday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Friday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54.
Friday Night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 58.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 57.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42.
Monday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 56.

El Niño Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
*********************************************************************************************** :D

A little lightning and thunder on the way to work. :evil:
https://ktla.com/2019/03/05/residents-evacuate-as-storm-bears-down-on-southern-california/ :shock:

Snow, more snow on Saturday. ARGH!

Rain total as of 9:00am today. Was off and on after sunrise. :)
SDHET HEMET VALLE VISTA 0.17 2050

4:00pm update: :D
SDHET HEMET VALLE VISTA 0.36 2050

Now the bad news:
https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=sgx&wwa=hydrologic%20outlook :twisted:

And some good news:
El Niño Rain Gage
************************************************************ :)

Another 1.65" Wednesday. Almost two whole days without rain now, but another system coming tomorrow.

The same hydrologic warning was issued for my area. All that snow in the Sierra is going to melt fast if it gets hit with some warm rain. This is mainly going to affect the Sacramento river and it's tributaries coming from the mountains. Similar situation down south.

The midwest will have the same problem when all that snow in Minnesota starts to melt.

fechter said:
The midwest will have the same problem when all that snow in Minnesota starts to melt.

Life on the Mississippi,

...the flood potential for the Upper Mississippi River basin continues to be above to well above normal this spring. High soil moisture and high snow water content on the landscape, combined with a delayed melt and frozen ground late in the season, suggest that when we finally do see warm spring temperatures arrive, the melt is more likely to melt quickly. With ice in the rivers and frozen ground, the resulting runoff looks to generate a high potential for flooding. Also, depending on just how fast the melt occurs, or if we get spring rainfall, we may end up with moderate to major flooding, especially on the mainstem Mississippi River.

Next heavy rain could be curtains for these nearby folks. :shock:
https://www.kesq.com/news/lake-hemet-campground-residents-evacuated-due-to-rising-flood-waters-1/1052474539
Still can’t get there from here until CA 74 washout is repaired, that may take months. :x

Back