la Nina rears her ugly head

This Afternoon
Isolated showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 52. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tonight
Isolated showers before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. South wind around 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 56. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Sunday
A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 55. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Monday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Monday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 59.
Tuesday Night
A chance of showers, mainly before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.
Wednesday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 58.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 37.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 62.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 40.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 64.

Another 1.65" over the weekend. Rained both days, so no riding. It looks like it will finally clear up this week, at least for a while.

First time poster in this thread -

El Nino in Australia = drought.
La Nina in Australia = rain.

The Southern Oscillation Index, or SOI is our best long-range predictor for rainfall on the east coast - it looks at mean atmospheric pressure differences between Tahiti and Darwin. And we're well and truly in negative territory (El Nino).
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/#tabs=SOI

I assume it's the opposite in the Americas?

jonescg said:
First time poster in this thread -

El Nino in Australia = drought.
La Nina in Australia = rain.

The Southern Oscillation Index, or SOI is our best long-range predictor for rainfall on the east coast - it looks at mean atmospheric pressure differences between Tahiti and Darwin. And we're well and truly in negative territory (El Nino).
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/#tabs=SOI

I assume it's the opposite in the Americas?
Our El Nino index is based on anomalies in the sea surface temperature in the Pacific, not barometric pressure. It's also not really good as a predictor of future weather.

I saw they said this season was the warmest on record for average high temp in Australia. It must be brutally hot away from the coastal areas.

El Niño Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
************************************************************* :)

Got sprinkles and some actual rain today, but probably no more than a tenth of an inch or so in my area.

Just weather enough to make me all achy and owie.

Is raining again now, though not much.

Expected to rain more later tonight, and tomorrow, and the next day. We can use it....

Tuesday Night
A chance of showers after 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 47.
Wednesday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 61.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Thursday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 63.
Thursday Night
A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Here in NW Ohio, it was mid October of last year since we saw our last 70* day, they forecast one for last week, but rained and never hit 60. I did take the bike out for a short ride to test the new system...cold at 30 mph !

El Niño Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
********************************************************************* :)
Many lightning strikes this time. Spring has sprung up with a bang. :shock:

I think it ws last week we had a pretty hefty storm; might'vbe been the week before. Since then it's been sunny and warm, in the 80s F.

This morning not long after dawn we got quite a little surprise rainstorm, with intense winds (kept slamming tree branches against the bedroom windows and roof / walls; had the dogs all upset, especially Yogi--they woke me up but I was so worn out I went back to sleep pretty quickly). I did not hear any rain, but there was enough in the very short storm to make a lake at the streetcorner, but by the time I got up around an hour later (when the dogs insisted it was breakfast time), that puddle was mostly drying up (but you could see the outlines of where it had been), and there was no other evidence of rain at all--even the dirt was all dry.

:?

I thought perhaps someone had been washing their car or something, but there was no evidence of it anywhere nearby, and no water anywhere in the street or gutter except at my corner....which is normal for after a rainstorm, except that it usually is only true after some hours of direct sunshine to evaporate the rest. Sun hadn't even been up long enough for that, and appeared to have been cloudy that whole time. Not even much of wind, just a bit of breeze.

I could still see rainclouds to the west (low enough to the ground I couldn't tell if it was still raining there), and it was still lightly to mediumly cloudy overhead and to the horizon, iwht occasional patchy areas sunlight might've been shining thru, but it was only about 68F out there, and didn't feel humid enough to have been raining recently.

Did some long-delayed yardwork whiel it was cool, but after a couple hours the sun came out and it went up to 82F pretty quick, and i got overheated enough to have to come in and rest a bit.... Involuntary naptime occurred, and I didn't get back out there yet. Clouded up again and got windy sometime after I came in.

40% chance of rain and thunderstorms later on tonight, though there was no prediction of them this morning.

Another 1/2" today. Should be nice tomorrow, but back to rain again on Friday. We don't need the rain at this point, but as long as the amounts are small, it doesn't cause any problems other than interfering with my riding time.

E El Niño Rain Gage
*************************************************************** :)

Next chance of rain Saturday night and Wednesday/ Wednesday night.

Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Wednesday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.
Wednesday Night
A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.

Coming down here again, but light so far. About 1/3" since this morning. I'm starting to feel pretty soggy.

Finished with .75" yesterday. Finally a weekend with no rain. Rain comes back Tuesday.

Season total a little over 50" so far. This time last year: 20".

https://www.tsunamizone.org/
In between rain storms, here's where you can check your tsunami risk and earthquake liquification and fault zone risk just by entering your address. Courtesy of the NWS participation in tsunami week. I used to live in a liquefaction zone next to a tsunami risk area. Now I live near a high brush fire area next to a major earthquake fault. :shock:
Click "know your zone" on the webpage to find out. :wink:

Forecast update:
Wednesday Night
A slight chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Thursday
A slight chance of showers before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 67. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Back