la Nina rears her ugly head

It might not seem all that hot here at only about 115F high today in the afternoon, but...it is *still* 102F out there right now, and it's almost 10pm. :(

(and the breeze that we had when it was really hot stopped quite a while ago).

It doesn't get cool enough to open a window here for the next few weeks, at least. Didn't get below 95F before dawn when the sun started increasing the heat again, last night, and will probably be in the 90sF for lows for a while (at least as long as humidity stays up).

EDIT: only got to 116F today, but still 110F out there right now, at almost 8pm. Humidity is nowhere near as high as it was late this morning when it was partly to mostly cloudy, when it felt like a sauna and was already 112F.

Using an IR thermometer "gun", the dirt in teh sun around 230pm was 169F, the roof was 178F in all the sunny area, and 155F in the shaded area near / under the AC unit (whcih itself was 190F (probably getting the coil temperature?) running at the time), and a stainless steel table half-in the sun at the back wall of the house was 160F on the sunny areas and 120F on the shaded areas nearest the sun down to ambient farther away. The concrete sidewalk from the front porch to the street was 148F in the sun, and 130F in the leaf-shaded areas.

I never realized how hot the roof itself could get (even though I've been up there on days like this, or even hotter).

It was 107 degrees F when I left the house at 3pm, but only 99 degrees F when I arrived at Murrieta. Down to 80 degrees F by the time I got home. :)
Palm Springs broke a 62 year old record high of 121 degrees F. :oops:

Detailed Forecast
Today
Sunny, with a high near 98. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 64. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 93. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 61. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 93. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 62.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 97.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 98.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 99.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Sunday

Supposedly we may start getting storms next Thursday. In the meantime just higher and higher humidity, getting up to 30%+ at times (as low as 15-20%), which when you're used to 10-15% at most makes the 110F+ temps much worse than they otherwise feel. :(

I just had to modify my bedroom's window AC unit to have extra drainage (the one I'd previously modified failed so I had to go back to an old one I'd never done that to), because it accumulates water so fast now that the internal fan acts like a waterwheel and splatters water around the room! THen it begins freezing up the cooling coils from the bottom up, ending up with solid ice more than halfway up during each cycle.

With the extra drainage, now it doesn't accumulate any water, and the freezing only goes up about 1/5 of the way from the bottom, on each cycle. (then it melts when the compressor shuts off, and drains).

Extended forecast text calling this the “nonsoon”. :lol:
.LONG TERM...(Friday through Monday)... As the aforementioned low
pressure system exits, a second and weaker trough of low pressure
will form over California late Friday into Saturday. Though still
cooler, a slight warming will be noticed into the weekend. As
this second system slowly moves off to the west, high pressure
over Arizona looks to expand into SoCal by Sunday. This will
bring in some continued warmer weather into early next week. The
coastal low will continue to keep an eye on us and spin its way
not too far just off the coast. This will provide more drier
southwest flow aloft and keep most of the fun monsoon activity off
to the east. "What is with this `nonsoon` so far?" you may ask?
Models indicate an increase in precipitable water mid to late next
week, so we will have to see if we can muster any activity by
month`s end!

We've gotten some "bird piss" here and there, but nothing one could decently call even a sprinkle, at my house. But I could see some serious short rains here and there in very small spots around the valley almost every time I was outside, in one direction or another, throughout the day.

Was supposed to be partly to mostly cloudy (was totally overcast whole day), and was supposed to be windy and gusty up to 20mph+, but has at best had a bit of wispy breeze most of the time, and no precipitation.

However, the best part is it was supposed to be up over 110F today, and it never got over about 90F at my house, so I got a little bit of stuff done outside without completley melting. ;)

The fingers said:
Borderline earthquake weather again today, add some mid level clouds and a little Temeku haze and I’ll call it EW again. :twisted:

A powerful 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Alaska, south of the Aleutian Islands, in the wee hours of Wednesday morning (July 22), prompting fear of a tsunami, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The earthquake hit at 2:12 a.m. ET (06:12 UTC) about 65 miles (105 kilometers) southeast of Perryville, Alaska, and 528 miles southwest of Anchorage. The tsunami warning, which had been issued for areas in south Alaska, the Alaska Peninsula and the Aleutian Islands, was later canceled.

Well, pretty far away but that's a powerful quake.

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 95. Light southwest wind increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 61. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 96. Light southwest wind increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 63. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 96.
Monday Night
Clear, with a low around 62.
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 63.
Wednesday
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 64.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 100.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 102.

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 72. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 105. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 76. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 105. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Friday Night
Clear, with a low around 75. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 104.
Saturday Night
Clear, with a low around 71.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 101.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 67.
Monday
Monday Night
Clear, with a low around 66.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 97.
Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 65.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 96. :oops:

922pm wed night, it's 106F out back, though the official is lower:

Clear
102°F
39°C
Humidity 13%
Wind Speed W 8 MPH
Barometer 29.77 in (1008.13 mb)
Dewpoint 43°F (6°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 97°F (36°C)
Last update 29 Jul 08:55 PM MST

Tonight
Clear, with a low around 87. West southwest wind around 5 mph.
Thursday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 115. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 89. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light northwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Friday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 115. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 88. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Saturday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 112. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 88. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Sunday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 110. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 88. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Monday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 110. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 87. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 86. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 108. Calm wind becoming south southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon

I consider the dewpoint a lot. I begin to feel more stickiness here when it goes over 65°F.

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Areas of smoke after 11pm. Clear, with a low around 70. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Monday
Areas of smoke before 11am. Sunny, with a high near 98. Light and variable wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Monday Night
Clear, with a low around 71. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 96. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 63. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 89.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 59.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 86.
Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 58.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 89.
Friday Night
Clear, with a low around 61.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 91.
Saturday Night
Clear, with a low around 62.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 92.

Detailed Forecast
Today
Sunny, with a high near 98. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight
Clear, with a low around 64. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 98. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 100. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 101.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 73.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 105.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 74.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 106.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 74.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 104.

Actually had some thunder and lightning here and a few drops of rain. Still predicting near 100 today, so it will be humid on top of hot. Chance of lightning starting fires too.

Power went off Friday night for two hours as part of a rolling blackout. Used my emergency power battery/inverter thing and it worked great.

Img_1446A.jpg

Back