Lcd overvoltage error?

S-LCD3 Parameter: Alternative setting for the following setup

Spec Motor: Bafang 500 watt BPM2 CST (09) -
11.6AH Bottle Battery 09 rated at 48v including the controller. Incl inbuilt BPM cell Panasonic NCR18650PF (3.6v) Configured as 4 Parallel, 13 Series
S-LCD3 Display includes the Programmable Controller
The kit was simple to install and worked on arrival a kit supplied by BSMBATTERIES, The kit included feature to aid the installation adopting colour matching for matting plus and sockets, Plug orientation was indicated with a simple arrow.

Although there is a manual available, the instructions don’t explain in sufficient detail the reason the programming values are required or were to obtain it from, which led to difficulties in programming the S-LCD3
The following setting were used, based on the following understanding,

Speed Max - 55Kph
Wheel Size 28"
Unit - Metric
P1=80 5:1 internal hubs gears x No of Magnets 16 (See Motor Specification)
P2=6. The number of Electrical Pulse outputted by the motor per revolution (See Motor Specification "Cadence Value")
P3=1. 1= Torque Assist and 0 = Speed Control
P4=0. 1 = Throttle Control is applied when peddling. 0 = Throttle control is available from a standing start
P5=12 Power Monitoring Mode" i.e. battery capacity determined, Values =0-40, with 0 being real time voltage. 36V use values typically 5-15,
C1=2 Crank Sensor Magnet count 1=8 2=10 3=12 (Count the number magnets on the crank disc)
C2=0 C2 Motor Class for a Sine Wave controller is VALUE the DEFULT = 0
C3=8 Initializing mode of Power Assist gear ratio values 1-8 Meter is switch on C3=0
C4=0 Affected by P4 Handle Bar Start up modes
C5=9 Controls the demand for Current AMPs. I.e. 90% 10=max
C6=4 LCD Backlight
C7=1 Cruise Control On= 1 off = 0
C8=0 Motor Temperature Read only available if a sensor is installed On=1 Off = 0
C9=0 Power On Password Default = 0 Reading from Left to Right, range 000-999
C10=N Y / N to establish default setting
C11=0 LCD type setting LCD3=0 , LCD1 or LCD02=1 copy function =2,
C12=4 LVC (Low Voltage Cut out) value use to protect the battery and calculate the Power left in the Battery
C13=0 ABS and Energy recovery
C14=2 Power Assist Tuning is invalid if P3 = 0 if pedal assist is required Set P3=1 High = 1 Medium = 2 Low = 3 assist

Please note these values did ensure the speed and distance was measured accurately, but did not make the Pedal assist functioned.
The bike used the thumb accelerator and the Cruise function.
(I proffered to use the cruise control in favour of the Peddle assist, in using the cruise control you can effectively increase to range of the bike by reducing your speed. SIMPLE use the throttle to the desired speed and press the "the Arrow on the switch for 5 seconds and release both the Button & then the Throttle" viola you in cruise mode.

Battery Capacity currently shows full even when empty. Possible due to poorly calibrated or defective Voltmeter

(Any power you add by peddling will increase the overall power output of the bike, this can be as high as 1300 watts a value confirmed by STRAVA)
Its also possible to set the Max speed at which battery power can be consumed. By doing so its possible to increase the range of the bike. ie Setting the Max 30KPH

Battery Power Usage: E-bike Users are acutely aware of the power remaining in their Battery.
Ensuring we get to our destination with assistance.(Peddle home with an empty battery is no fun! although surprisingly easy for a 22kg bike, a feature support low resistance free wheel.

Noise: The Bafang Motor BPM2 500watt created low level of noise and resonance compared with MAXUS 250watt motors. In fact i frequently startle pedestrians and cyclist
At slower speed to power was applied more smoothly.

Here we describe the use S-LCD3 Parameter Setting C5 ONLY
C5 setting gives you the capability to reduce the max power being pulled from the battery by up to 50% which will increase the range the bike will travel per charge.
In this instance the Bottle 09 Battery (48V 11.6AH) can delivery 850watts when C5=10 or 350watts when C5=3
When C5 is set low the bike range will increase but does affects the torque and speed.

BPM2 500 Watt Motor example
C5=3=300watts (Distance 70Km at 30KPH)
C5=4=400watts
C5=5=550watts
C5=6=600watts (Distance 50Km at 40KPH)
C5=7=750watts
C5=8=800watts
C5=9=840watts (Distance 35Km at 50KPH)
C5=10=Max POWER 860watts
C14, C3, C4 require validation.

Please note BSMBATTERIES, sell these products but there Technical Support is a Joke once your order has been secured (in my option) product old with no written documentation. BMSBATTERIES relay heavily on forums such as these to help resolve many of these issues.
This forum is life line to those of us who are none technical!

This post will be edited as improved knowledge is obtained.

BMSBATTERIES relay heavily on forums such as these to help resolve many of these issues.

That would assume they actually care.

P5 is not for LVC setting, that's C12. P5 is "P5 Power Monitoring Mode" according to manual. From what I read it determines how the battery capacity is determined, Value =0-40, with 0 being real time voltage. AFAICT, there is no param setting for battery voltage. If it's not reading your voltage correctly, I'd say the unit is defective or you have something connected wrong.

Motecech: Thanks for the support; it would seem im not alone in my opinion,
Wensnell: Have made adjustment to the post above; making a correction to the error “Good Job!”
AFAICT is defined as As Far As I Can Tell internet slang !

Hmm i have a feeling that the cutoff is 60v on my setup....so i can charge the batts to 4V and this will really help the battery cycle-life. but my chargers don’t have adjustable voltage settings - 4.2 is it.

is the a cheap way of stopping the charge, like a reverse buzzer alarm?

Just in case anyone has a similar issue..I recently upgraded my LCD1 to an LCD3 because the mounting snapped on the LCD1 and is was looking tired. I kept my S09P controller that I bought in 2013 and found that the battery capacity showed nothing until I changed C11=1 so it used the old communication protocol.
I was looking forward to seeing the realtime motor power usage but this doesn't seem to be supported by the "old" controller and always shows zero, also the brake activation indicator doesn't work either so the features are pretty much the same as LCD1 with this controller version.
I managed to get hold of someone online in BMSbattery to find out what year the controllers starting using the new protocol but she quickly went offline when the question got too challenging so I still don't know.

I know.. its a old tread. but...

I had the same problem today, The S09 battery ( 48V) controller did "hickups" and showed a blinking emthy battery bar, indicating it hit LVC. but voltage on showed 49 V. sometimes it worked, and other it didnt..

And it got worse over the trip, ontill it just blinked emthy.
Thought it was a loose or coroded battery to controler connection or cabel, no.
Thought it was the BMS acting up, tryed with spare battery, no.
Voltage reading on diplay was ok.

So disasembled the controller and found a "HOT" resistor (Main resistor before the LM317, 270ohm 3W). It had gotten so hot it melted the tin and burned the plastic abit. The S09 controller is a 2 board structure and there is a connect from board 1 to 2 just where the resistor is soldered and it was also loose.

Fixed that and tested it, Worked find again.
It may do it again, getting hot(was a hotday 30c+), but now i know how to fix it.. a 5 min job..

Happy Trailing...

P5 is a damping coefficient for the battery display. When you set it to zero, the battery display goes up and down with the actual battery voltage so that yo see sag when you open the throttle. Some people want the battery level display to be like a fuel gauge, so you need to dampen its movement so that it doesn't go up and down with the voltage sag. The higher the value, the more daming you get.

It's analagous to a car fuel guage. The ond ones used to go up and down as you went round a corner, or they'd show more fuel when you were going uphill and less when you went downhill. Modern ones have damping, so that doesn't happen.

The LCDs can get confused about which battery you have because there's an overlap between a discharged 48v one abd a fully charged 36v one. When you first connect a 48v battery, make sure it's fully charged. It's probably better to first connect a 36v one in a half-charged state.

Back