Leaf vs. Volt vs. Prius: an Argonne study on WTW energy use

Toshi

10 kW
I. A warning to readers

Advance warning: click "back" or "next" if you're not at all interested in electric vehicles or their energy use. This is a long, wonkish post, let the audience (as it were) be warned.

II. Introduction, Importance, and Scope

Still here? This post regards the charmingly named "Well-to-Wheels Analysis of Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles", just released in June 2010 by the Argonne National Laboratory. It's essentially an updated, more comprehensive version of the 2000 MIT Energy Lab study that I cited in my April 2009 post, "Do electric cars make environmental sense?"

What does this paper actually examine? From its executive summary (emphasis mine):

"PHEVs have been touted for their potential to reduce the U.S. transportation sector’s dependence on petroleum and cut greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions … . A well-to-wheels (WTW) analysis — which examines energy use and emissions from primary energy source through vehicle operation — can help researchers better understand the impact of the upstream mix of electricity generation technologies for PHEV recharging, as well as the powertrain technology and fuel sources for PHEVs. …

"Argonne employed detailed dispatch models to simulate the electric power systems in four major regions of the United States: … . Argonne also evaluated the U.S. average generation mix and renewable generation of electricity for PHEV and BEV recharging scenarios to show the effects of these generation mixes on PHEV WTW results.

"The primary conclusion is that electrification of transportation significantly reduces petroleum energy use, but GHG emissions strongly depend on the electricity generation mix for battery recharging."

III. Plug-to-Wheels Analysis

Now that we have established "why," onto "what," the data.

y6pjl.png

What does this graph mean? I first direct your eye towards the grey circle just about the 4000 mark on the y-axis: that's the energy consumption per mile of a baseline future gasoline engine automobile. Now take a gander at the blue circle at the bottom right of the graph marked "EV": that's the energy consumption per mile of a pure battery electric vehicle (aka BEV; imagine an evolved Nissan Leaf with a 150 mile range and you wouldn't be far off). Note that the energy consumption of the BEV is well under half of that of the conventional gasoline vehicle. Shift your eye to the magenta circle in the 40-mile range column and you can see that the efficiency of the Volt-like vehicle in its initial 40 miles of range is almost indistinguishable from that of the BEV, not terribly surprising. Another interesting data point on this graph is of the magenta square at the 40 mile-range mark on the x-axis, which corresponds to the efficiency of the Volt-like vehicle in charge-sustaining mode, that is, the mode that you'd run in after driving 40 miles. This point shows that the Volt-like vehicle after its initial 40 miles of range is about 15% better than that of a conventional gasoline vehicle. Also note, however, that the magenta square at 40 miles of all electric range is higher than the magenta square at 0 miles: in other words, a non-plug in gasoline electric hybrid like the Prius will be more efficient than a Volt after the 40 mile point.

We're not nearly done yet, even though these findings are interesting, because these relate vehicle miles to energy, which in turn is not equivalent to greenhouse gas emissions due to the sundry ways of generating that same energy in the first place. That is, this is a "power plug to the vehicle's wheels" analysis, whereas the more important question is of "well-to-wheels" energy use and carbon dioxide emissions. After all, why would we want to switch to BEVs if total CO2 production increased as a result?

IV. Energy Generation Variation by Region

In order to conduct a well-to-wheels analysis one must model or make assumptions about how the energy gets from the proverbial well to the power plug. One of the conclusions that I came to in my earlier post, and that this study comes to currently, is that it matters greatly where one lives, as the regional mix of power generation will have profound effects on the total system energy use and CO2 production. It also matters when the vehicles are charged, not just where, as the additional power generation capacity that would be brought on-line during the daytime is much dirtier than the power generation mix at nighttime, when loads are low and excess capacity is rife.

The study examines four regional areas in detail (WECC which encompasses California and the Pac NW/New England/NY/Illinois), looking at the mix (coal/natural gas/nucs/wind/nuclear/etc.) of power generation under a variety of vehicle charging scenarios. Suffice it to say that the increased demand of charging EVs will be met by various means in different regions, and that the mix of power differs by charging time.

What are these "various means" of generating the extra power? Here the answer is a bit complicated. For those following along in the text the data are in Table 6.1. My very shallow summary of this table is that if BEVs and PHEVs are charged at night then the extra power will be generated largely by coal in Illinois; mainly by clean natural gas with some input from coal in the WECC/Western states region; and almost entirely by clean and not so clean natural gas both in the Northeast and in NY state.

What does this mean in terms of well-to-wheels energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions, you ask? Read on for the conclusion of this riveting tale.

V. Well-To-Wheels Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions

To me, the first really surprising conclusions of this paper are from this following figure, excerpted from Figure 6.6:

toBvR.png

The important lines to note are the one at top for the conventional/non-hybrid gasoline vehicle, the red dotted line for the gasoline hybrid-electric vehicle (e.g., Toyota Prius), and the various columns for GHG emissions of a Chevy Volt-type PHEV 40 used in charge-depleting mode (ie, in the first 40 miles of range). What can we conclude from this figure?

First off, if you're in coal-heavy Illinois you shouldn't drive a Chevy Volt, as your well-to-wheels GHG emissions will be almost that of a conventional gasoline car, and quite a bit above the non-plugin hybrid-electric gasoline car (say, Toyota Prius). In other states the Prius and the Volt-in-its-first-40-miles-of-range are essentially a wash except in California, where the Volt "wins" because California's electric power is cleaner than that found elsewhere.

However, the story doesn't end here, as real-world usage of the Volt won't just be in its first 40 miles of charge-depleting range. In combined use that is both charge-depleting (first 40 miles) and charge-sustaining (after 40 miles) usage one can see that PHEVs don't really offer any meaningful reduction in well-to-wheels GHG emissions when compared to a non-plugin Toyota Prius even when using the squeaky-clean California power mix:

BnLwE.png

How to interpret the above: the leftmost magenta square is a 0-EV-only-mile range gasoline-electric hybrid: a Prius, essentially. The rightmost magenta square is a PHEV 40: a Chevy Volt, more or less. The rightmost grey square with the dotted red circle around it is a pure BEV, a 150-mile range Nissan Leaf, if you will. Note that the slope of the magenta line across the various PHEV ranges is basically null: in other words in combined use the Volt has only a negligible reduction in well-to-wheels GHG emissions when compared to a Prius. Also note that the well-to-wheels GHG emissions of a pure BEV like the Leaf-on-steroids is about half that of either the Volt or the Prius.

VI. Conclusions

I'd say the results of this study are a pretty clear "win" for BEVs, and a pretty clear failure for the case of PHEVs. In the best case of California clean power generation and charge-depleting use in the first 40 miles of its range the 2015-spec Volt is as clean as a BEV in terms of well-to-wheels GHG emissions. In every other case (outside 40 miles of range, power less clean than that of California) the 2015-spec Prius at least matches the Volt and in some cases even beats it outright.

Given my interpretation I find it curious that the authors instead conclude that PHEVs can lead to reduced GHG emissions and energy usage… when compared to conventional gasoline vehicles. I find this conclusion of theirs disingenuous, as when comparing (rightly, in my opinion) to non-plugin gasoline electric hybrids like the Toyota Prius then one sees that the environmental case for PHEVs basically falls flat on its face. I can only speculate why the authors didn't emphasize this point more.

full-throttle said:
TylerDurden said:
They musta picked the lamest diesel engine on the market. Golf TDIs match or exceed Prius average fuel economy.
So do VW Polo, Fox and Lupo (under 2l per 100km)!

Hold on! VW only produced 2 real 3L production cars to date. The Lupo 3L and the Audi A2 3L models. All modified with lighter components and better aerodynamics. No Fox, Lupo or Polo (also not the latest blue Motion variants) can touch the 3l per 100 km mark. Maybe the new VW 1l car can do under 2l per 100 km. The latest figures of that car were already rounded down. They only made a succeeded run in the prototype version with Ferdinand Piech himself behind the wheel. Note that the Lupo 3L design is over 10 years old.

TylerDurden said:
Most of the Prius owners I know average ~46mpg.
Compare this to the ~40 mpg mode (possibly lower mean) of fuelly.com TDI Jetta drivers: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/diesel%20l4 . When taking into account the higher BTU/gallon of diesel vs. regular gasoline (with CO2 presumably scaling with the number of combustible hydrocarbons that in turn would scale with BTUs) then the difference is even more stark.

When comparing apples to apples (EPA 2008+ combined cycle mpg) the Prius wins, no question about it.

That's kinda sad. My ex averages 45mpg in her dressed 03 Jetta wagon. I average 49mpg in my spartan 82 Rabbit pickup.

With that kind of possible fuel economy (evidently not typical), I would hope a diesel HPEV would rate better.

Toshi,

To really highlight why some type of 2 wheel EV should be in every household, how about adding to those graphs and electric scooter at 100wh/mile, a high powered ebike at 50wh/mile, an average ebike at 25wh/mi, and a good ebike with pedal assist at 10wh/mi. Also, since I think most will opt for both and often use the ebike when conditions are favorable, reduce the car use by 50% which is replaced by the ebike. 50% should be easy for many, since I run over 90% by ebike with our 5 member family.

Ebikes can have a far greater impact on this world far more quickly, than electric cars can ever dream of. I find the idea that we are unable to readily obtain the best batteries available absolutely ridiculous.

John

John, that's comparing apples to oranges, however. The average American is fat, lazy, and is not going to be riding a bicycle to work any time soon whether or not it has assist. In addition to the inherent qualities of the American there's also the layout of the cities and the length of the average commute, which in all honesty are not too conducive to doing what you did (90% car use reduction) or what I did (selling my car outright in May 2008 and commuting by e-bike for a year, until I moved here and now walk to work).

Indeed, even in my case I'll be reverting to a more normal commute on ICE motorcycle 10 months out of the year and by ICE automobile for the two snowy/icy months due to my choice of moving out of an apartment to a house with much more back yard room, lower crime, and proximity to nice things (beaches, parks, restaurants, etc.).

Toshi: Thanks for the article link and summary.

I think there are two possible future scenarios:
1. Nobody challenges the current automobile usage. Gradual technology improvements results in reductions in energy use and CO2 per mile driven, but increased number of vehicles and miles driven offset these. Hence total energy use does not decrease.

2. Somebody dares to challenge current usage patterns. This could be done by a congestion fee, CO2 tax or any other means that penalizes unfettered automobile usage. This would decrease auto usage and shift patterns. On my way home from Japan yesterday the airline seat pocket magazine had an article about policies in Stockholm: The congestion tax introduced in 2007 reduced traffic jams 30-50%. While there was significant opposition from auto drivers before its introduction, now drivers support it. When you need to drive you get from A to B more efficiently for a relatively modest fee. When not driving there is an efficient public transportation system. 78% of rush hour trips are now by public transport. Stockholm was recently named Green Capital of the year. It has cut greenhouse gas emissions by 25% since 1990, while most other cities have increased them.

The mass production diesel Honda Accord CDTi regularly gets over 50-70mpg with a typical douche behind the wheel (they don't allow it in the states).

A little article about it from 6 years ago:
http://world.honda.com/news/2004/4040506.html

My very slightly tweaked Honda Insight normally gets 60mpg, and if I'm content cruising around 55mph on the freeway, it does ~70mpg.

TylerDurden said:
That's kinda sad. My ex averages 45mpg in her dressed 03 Jetta wagon. I average 49mpg in my spartan 82 Rabbit pickup.

With that kind of possible fuel economy (evidently not typical), I would hope a diesel HPEV would rate better.

I have a buddy with a heavily tweaked 80's Rabbit pickup, custom manifolding, ported head, worked chambers, increased compression and ceramic piston/chamber coatings (all tweaks that improve engine efficiency and performance both) that gets around 55mpg driving it like wild-man constantly. Im very much not a german vehicle fan, but I gotta admit, I would drive a tweaked rabbit pickup. Pretty impressive vehicle.

My Civic gets 40-45mpg, and it' a damn racecar. It boggles the mind that the average Prius only does marginally better economy than my racecar (and we both seat 5, and I bet I've got more cargo room). It's the safety and emmisions BS that slaughter fuel economy.

Video of 40-45mpg racecar:

[youtube]VIH92fmmiNY[/youtube]

Hey Luke, what's the advantage of driving so jammed up to the steering wheel and foot pedals? There must be some reason for it, or are you just more comfortable all cramped up like that?

John in CR said:
Hey Luke, what's the advantage of driving so jammed up to the steering wheel and foot pedals? There must be some reason for it, or are you just more comfortable all cramped up like that?

I don't feel like I can get the control I need on the pedals if my knees don't have enough bend in them. Running a metalic twin-disk clutch and an engine with explosive throttle response takes a hell of a lot more precision pedal control than driving a regular car. Getting a lot of bend in the knees helps me get that control I need. It's something you see very commonly with guys that race karts. We feel best when racing with folded up knees and the steering wheel just a few inches off the legs. It's also a fair bit easier to control the torque-steer bucking steering wheel (espically when you gotta take a hand off the wheel to shift) when you've got it close-in to your body.

Speaking of torque-steer, a buddy had an axle break when the car caught air (engine instantly reved to limiter with the wheels off the ground), it broke an axle when it landed (super common for front wheel drives), and the jerk of the steering wheel broke his thumb! He kept the car off the guard rail though, but his thumb looked pretty nasty all flopped backwards in the middle... eww...

Back