• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

Custom hub 12mm axle 142mm spacing, 6 bolt ISO each side, 38t "420 sprocket

10527308_279712065549214_2751049914397924321_n.jpg

The first two frames are done, one ships thrusday and I will keep the other one for me :mrgreen:

The production frames have a lot more plasma cut parts and overall are more refined. The suspension has been improved, and the chain line too. The swingarm is 10mm shorter and the main frame 15mm longer. They should be way stronger. The come at about 8kg with the rear subframe attached.
10540869_279963578857396_117373921590292565_n.jpg

how much for just the parts if I were to do all the welding/finishing myself?

Love getting the updates to my facebook page, good work! Any chance we could get some hard stats on the weight, batts, power and stuff? need myself a goal to beat :p

Full bike weigth is 36kg with 18s 10AH but the bike feels super lightweight and nimble, and buny hops very well!
Peak power 8.5kw (could push it more with better lipo on 20-21s)

bzhwindtalker said:
Full bike weigth is 36kg with 18s 10AH but the bike feels super lightweight and nimble, and buny hops very well!
Peak power 8.5kw (could push it more with better lipo on 20-21s)

To get 8.5kw peak power from this motor at 18s is 45NM. the 5.8kg "1000w" long version of this motor can actually do it -quite impressive for a non hub (140mm diameter) motor, but the cost is 3.6kw of your power going missing to heat from torque losses alone, and it requires 150+ phase amps, and a far meatier KEB kelly rated for 6kw+ would be needed.

to keep total efficiency on the better side of 50% though, this motor is pretty good at making more like 23NM as that will only cost you 1kw of heat and the motor is capable of this burst output of about 4.2kw peak on 18s. with fan or water cooling the motor temp can then drop back down without having to wait after a few minuets of riding and still being doable with the smaller kelly has to be a good thing?

there may be some other ways around these motor limits, what is the current top speed and gearing?

heres some pics from the torque testing, the same method as justin used for the saturation testing on hub motors, and it would be handy to work on and improve the efficiency and power from these motors, they do have some potential i think, cos the stator itself is remarkably similar to the nearby far lighter more powerful and expensive joby..

View attachment 1

Hi Toolman,

If you have done some real testing on these "48V 1000W" motors and have information on Torque / RPM / current / efficiency, would you be willing to share?
There is a thread started for these motors, "BIG BLOCK GNG alternative Motor". I have posted a bit of information about RPM / current draw at no load at several voltages, but it would be great to have some data on the performance under load.

BZH: Hi Adam, I have been following your build.. it is good to see such a good result from your efforts. Great to see your videos, it helps keep the enthusiasm alive to get mine finished, even though at the moment I am too busy to spend any time on it.
Dave

Thanks for the imput toolman! It confirms my fears about the efficiency. I run 13-60t on my bike and the other frames will run 8-38t. The small kelly I have peaks at 170A on my setup at 80% battery amps 100% phase, but my batt sags a LOT. I dropped that to 50% battery and 100% phase. When I program 50% battery 75% phase (135A peak from the batt) the motor handles continuous riding without overheating but the performance is a bit sluggish at times (due also to the battery) Top speed about 60-65 kph, low end torque is good at 50% batt 100% phase.
I really want to test a Collosus on this frame, there is no mechanical component that could not handle big power on the LMX frames :D

Two frames are delivered, 3rd shipping today, one left for grabs 8)
Next batch will probably be regular steel frames, produced in eastern europe

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_10648543_288200078033746_8522...jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_10648543_288200078033746_8522...jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 5,123
All 5 first frames are gone, I kept one for myself of course :D Wrking out options for next ones!

Also I need to start designing a Jackshaft version of the frame, and those accessory pedals attachment thingy :D

Not that I would really need this to expend, but what would you guys think about a kickstarter campain?

A kickstarter is a fantastic idea and method, but don't by any means take it on lightly. I assume you have the market, user, manufacturing, componentry details and everything fully mapped out already then? If you have done the work and found your users, and you think your target market is large enough with pockets deep enough then go for it, but there is a lot more than building these things, or even building them well. Despite how much money they get, most kickstarter ventures still go bust. I would suggest protecting your IP, and doing a short manufacturing run to test both the market and your manufacturer/s. So definitely work towards a kickstarter if thats the way you want to go!

Thanks for the input, that's exactly my thoughts on this subject. For now, I have no NEED for kickstarter money and some design points need some work (seat fit, plastics, battery box ext...) Geometry, concept and powertrain are already quite good and production ready. The P2.1 frames have really improved the handling over the p2, not talking about P1 :oops:
For now I need if I can trust my manufacturing contacts for the next batch on quality, price and delays. Managing to get something running without a kickstarter would of course be simpler, because getting all focused on working the media then keeping the backers happy would take a LOT of time that would not be spent to actually develop the product, manufacturing and business.

Hi, I found this today, wasn't there last time i went to golden motor's website :
Could be an upgrade from your current motor maybe ?
air cooled 288$:
3KWFanCooling.jpg

Liquid cooled 308$:
3KWLiquidCooling.jpg

Specs:
Model: HPM3000B -- High Power BLDC Motor
Voltage:48V/72V/96V
1. Voltages: 48/72/96Vdc
2. Rated power: 2-3KW
3. Peak power: 6KW
4. Speed: 3000-5000rpm
5. Rated torque: 10 Nm
6. Peak torque: 25 Nm
7. Efficiency: >90%
8. Dimensions: 18cm dia. 12.5cm height
9. Weight: 8kgs
10. Cooling: air or liquid cooling
Data sheet http://www.goldenmotor.com/hubmotors/hubmotor-imgs/HPM3000-48V3KW Data.pdf

How much were you selling the frames? Missed out on that. Was it frame only or did you have forks and other hardware? Would be nice to have a complete deal minus batteries.

Back