Loaded Vanguard 2015 Dual VESC / Rear 12S

Very nice.! ..

I think this is the best option for split enclosure configurations

Did you consider doing this before you lay the CF? Or you want to see the wires?

Maybe some LED next to the wires?

hey Jason - thanks! yes I was thinking of wiring the cable on the top of the deck. I layed the CF to lower the flex and reinforce the deck, then put the cables, then GF today to make it look like a better finish. I will put an orange grip + black grip on top, the E-SK8 phosphorescent logo was just for the fun of it and is not aimed to be displayed on the deck/grip as the borders are drawn by hand roughly !

no LED on this one, just basic DIY stuff.

Gorgeous! Love this build. Glad you didn't hit the wood floor with the drill!

It's raining here too. The riding season is almost over - sad. :(

Will continue to follow and thanks for the new video when you get the time. no rush, no stress.

quickly sanded the GF; here's a sneak peek; of course the ugly top of the deck is ultra flat and will be covered by grip tape

1442854712-img-3836.jpg

1442854712-img-3837.jpg

1442854713-img-3838.jpg

1442854713-img-3839.jpg

1442854713-img-3840.jpg

1442854713-img-3841.jpg

1442854713-img-3842.jpg

:D

that is a thing of beauty! WOW. So impressive.

Fit and finish look spectacular. My only suggestion to finish it is to sheath your motor wires (both aesthetics and protection). Understanding that the top deck is a bit unsightly now, but the end result is amazing - you won't even see the work done when you grip tape it...

thanks! it's really a sneak peek; not finished yet. I was planning to do a cover for the belts/motors as you recommend but still need to find some inspiration on how to make it look the way I want in epoxy/CF or GF. I also need to find a way to attach it to Torque mount even if there are some holes available for that.

thanks ! I am running 12S 4AH (lipo). Here's what it finally looks like. I got really inspired by Boosted and I wish I could get one in Paris. This does not seem possible.. so I made my version : Dual 63MM / 12S 4AH / 2 VESC / Custom Carbon Controller / DIY enclosures. Thanks you Boosted for getting my spirit inspired. My build is almost finished. I just did a quick grip with Vicious + Black Diamond as I was planning to go for a test ride... but APS Powerswitch failed.

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3877b.jpg

It's acting as fail open which means... totally transparent. Not really what I expect for antispark when I am going 50V !

I already had a similar issue with an APS Powerswitch in the past on my other deck, Bruno sent me a replacement item and it is now going fine. I just sent him an email, hopefully I will get a replacement item quickly for this powerswitch

[youtube]jUPp9GkYMlw [/youtube]

Nice build, really like it!

Had the same issues with the APS-Switch in the past. The reason was that the wires at the illuminated button were touching each other somehow and shortened the whole thing so it stayed on power on. I used some new isolation material to prevent that from happening again and a lot of hot glue. But of course it could be an other cause in your case.

Gorgeous build and looks as good as Boosted IMO!

Bummer the power switch failed, but at least you can still ride it until new one shows up! Probably a PITA to disconnect batteries?

Any range info on 4Ah yet? How does the flex compare to original?

Awesome build! This has inspired me for my next build! Maybe you could do a tutorial on making those beautiful enclosures.

Wow. .. love this...

Its not really my style of skateboard ... but it is very impressive.

Boosted boards raised 460k to make their product over a a year.. You made yours in your bedroom.... and yours will easily outperform theirs...

A side-by-side review would be priceless, I'm sure BB would hate it.... ill will gladly help fund the review ;)

It makes me seriously question the results we are seeing from these crowd funding campaigns.

I believe this proves that DIY will become the standard option for people who want an eboard... pro skateboarders build their own decks using different brands of parts. So will future pro-Eboarders.

Taking the best parts and making the board you want is the obvious choice once you see these result - bravo!

Re the power switch:
As a business owner dedicated to superior quality components I have made the decision (months ago) to boycott all products made by FLIER. They seem to have no long term interest in making reliable high quality products... its a shame as they did have a good reputation around 18 month's ago...

Hopefully bruno is willing to take a loss on this and replace the part for you.

ALSO
You really should try some 18650 pack with BMS and easy one port, un-supervised charging on your next build. It's the only thing that makes a Boosted board better than yours. Lipo is only good for RC cars and multicopters :)

Overall build score is 9/10

Congratulations.

much appreciated Jason ! I think the hardest part for Boosted was to make it an industrial process and make a product that can fit all expectations to limit all the possible failures that can happen (i.e Marbel) when distributed to customers. I really did this one for my pleasure with quality components (well except the powerswitch but failure can happens in electronics). I would really like to get from Boosted a feedback as this is not competition (I'm an amateur!) neither a clone, neither a copycat but I just got inspired by their work which really stands out. This is of course not commercial, just did this for the fun of it. I just got huge respect for people brings their ideas/project to real life. This is such a special feeling. Come on Boosted, send me a Boosted board for review :D

This kind of board is also not my full style of skateboarding as I'm coming from a street skater background. I just like the shape of the board, the flex to cruise. I already had a DH type of board (FlyPan) and I wanted something different fully powered by VESCs and RSPECs. I really think a boosted could fit my expectations for my short distance moves in Paris.

I will go for 18650 or A123 + BMS on my upcoming build based on a Earthwing NLS (with a tail!) as soon as I got more time.

I need to get this powerswitch back ! today streets of Paris are dedicated to bikes, skate, rollers; no cars. I was ready to test this board, will go with the Flypan 12S

I will bring you back some videos / photos :D

@lox : I got one tutorial on my blog (check my signature)

have fun everybody ! time to ride :D

Dont worry. I dont see this as a Boosted boards copy, of course you took some asthetic direction from the BB design. The deck is also the same, but it is loaded, not BB. But yours is nothing like theirs in terms of electronics and power.

Also your deck treatment is not as bouncy and flexible anymore as the original loaded deck. You probably should of just made the deck yourself in that shape ;)

Overall you have made many improvements.... I think BB will be watching.

Regarding batteries, I have not found any compelling evidence that a123 (lifepo4) batteries offer any advantage over 18650. Make sure you do plenty of research before the big investment.

Many veteran ebike builders & of course tesla are using 18650. There must be some reason.

Congrats on the build, it is very clean and well done, both construction and integration of components. The board definitely 'borrows' design style from the boosted, but is not a great match. The separate compartments make sense and it's not an innovative design to begin with. I wouldn't like people selling my designs, but personal use is fine, as they say, life is a remix. It certainly wouldn't infringe on any patents.

onloop said:
ALSO
You really should try some 18650 pack with BMS and easy one port, un-supervised charging on your next build. It's the only thing that makes a Boosted board better than yours. Lipo is only good for RC cars and multicopters :).

However, I do feel that li-ion cells are not good enough for your build (in that size/power). While the 18650's are great little cells, they do not have the discharge rate that you would be pulling. An advantage of lipo is a pack will happily give 25+c till flat, whereas the 18650's only give at best 10c. So while the 18650 cells can last longer than lipo (typically 500-600 cycles), they do not handle high discharges well. So unless you are going to have the size and weight of enough in parallel they will not keep up with the two high power motors you are running.

Boosted run a 2kw system, and this is about as much as you can reliably run a small 18650 pack with or you will overdraw them and get 1/3 the cycles a cheaper lipo will give you. Simply put, I don't feel 18650's cut the mustard for 3-4kw systems with less than 3kg of batteries.

There is some pretty comprehensive testing on the 18650 cells here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html and here: https://www.powerstream.com/18650-high-discharge-rate.htm

Opinions? Thoughts? But nice work regardless, hope you have fun on the car free streets!

@ onloop:

A123 Cells are LiFePo4 Cells, they manage a lot more cycles than other chemistrys :
more than 1000 cycles at 10C/25A and 100% DOD
a LG ICR18650HE2 hits at 20A only 200 cycles (or is there another Cell in the SPACE CELL battery? )

Thats the biggest advantage, but they are expensive.

Great build OKP!
There is only one problem left until i can build my own "dreamboard" - i need a sensored motor witch is shorter than 55mm (tourqueboards motor is great but 65mm long)

Back