Loaded Vanguard 2015 Dual VESC / Rear 12S

I am still looking for the best deck to fit my requirements and also to be added value to my existing setups; so it's not defined yet

I have tried almost every position for the wires; but I wanted to have more clearance for the motors and also because the enclosure is really close and I wanted to have maximum motor cable flexibility

I need now to tune the VESC settings if this is possible (to improve the riding sensation). Just wondering for example what happens if I turn traction control off.

Squad said:
I'm impressed by efficiency of Your setup, I rode the same distance today on my 7S eboard and it consumed about 3500 mAh (but there were few relatively steep hills).

the amount of energy a battery is carrying is [Wh] and thats what your board consumes. or well, your board uses electrical power [W] = [V*A] and power over time is work [Ws] = [V*A*s] = product of current, voltage and time. so with 7S vs 12S setup and same estimated work, you WILL have (12/7)x the current of okp in your setup if both setups are identical otherwise (wind, slope, efficiency of drive train, riders weight, various drags etc). basically its really hard to compare on a quantitative level, but at least a factor of 12/7 is expected in any case for your [mAh]!

going for a ride with the board; I have setup
- startup boost to 0.3 (vs 0.1 original)
- Current limits/Motor Max : 80A (acceleration) ; /Motor Min : -60 (good breaking) ; Battery Max : 80A (got a true 150C 12S 5AH) / Battery Min (regen) : -20

will keep you posted :D

okp said:
going for a ride with the board; I have setup
- startup boost to 0.3 (vs 0.1 original)
- Current limits/Motor Max : 80A (acceleration) ; /Motor Min : -60 (good breaking) ; Battery Max : 80A (got a true 150C 12S 5AH) / Battery Min (regen) : -20

will keep you posted :D

Is that a regen setting on the vesc or are u actually getting 20% regen?

good ride this weekend with friends ! It was sunny in Paris. On this 12S dual rear I get 3426mAH for 25km, all-round / some hills/flat.. less than 25amps at maximum Ap.

I was running 15T yesterday and switch to 14T today. 14T is definitely better for efficiency and the way to go for this setup.

Here are the wattmeter stats.

IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

and some photos for you folks

1446406972-nude.jpg

1446404978-essal.jpg

dim1nov_1.jpg

dim1nov_2.jpg

dim1nov_3.jpg

dim1nov_4.jpg

dim1nov_5.jpg

dim1nov_6.jpg

dim1nov_7.jpg

dim1nov_8.jpg

dim1nov_9.jpg

dim1nov_10.jpg

Enjoy & Have fun

okp said:
Not really the day to move with a e-SK8 remote that may look like a gun in Paris streets... As well as... leaving your full face helmet home (if you want to avoid any problems)

I think many here at ES are thinking about you and our friends in Paris. And what's happening at the moment leaves us speachless. It's difficult to express those thoughts and concerns in another language, but it's hitting everybody who believes in humanity quite hard. Very sad days.

Hey okp,

great build and nice videos you share with us. Looks like a lot of fun. :D

As you are using VESCs and the Turnigy wattmeter I have the question if the regen is working normally with the wattmeter between VESC and your lipo.
So because you are not talking about any trouble, I have the assumption the regen is normally working with the wattmeter. Am I right?
So when it isn't a problem to "put" the current in the opposite direction my next question is, if the wattmeter will subtract the Ah that are going back into the lipo from the over all used energy. :? That would be amazing, if that is working.

hey, don't know really if I get regen back to my lipos as I usually don't focus on that. I have removed the wattmeter as they keep failing over time and once you know you miles coverage and riding style, you just check the miles instead of amps.

I think the wattmeter is good for getting the first measurements and max amps; but then I prefer to remove it.

the dual vesc are performing flawlessly; just awesome. The brakes feel like if an elastic is catching you slowly.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe the wattmeter fails sometimes because of the regen. I will test the wattmeter when I have it in my hands.

Do you also play a little bit with the regen setting? I saw you are using -20. Onloop says that if you are putting it to 0 you will get no breaking at all. When I interpret that correctly, that means if you will put -10 instead of -20, the break is just a half "strong". So one should also look at the charging "c-rating" when buying lipos.

okp said:
the charging rate is amazing and the lipos are life guarantee. They are also extra flat. I wanted to get something overkill for this setup.

Nice, I bought recently six 30C 6S 5000 mAh turnigy packs (on board will be 15Ah, 12S), hope they'll perfom nicely in my electric trampa mountainboard. Even if the C rating is exaggerated (let's be optimists and say is 20C) it's still a lot more than two VESCs with current limited to 80A can draw. I bet everything about Your li-pos is great except the price :wink: BUT, usually li-pos are rated for no more than thousand charge cycles, does the lifetime warranty cover capacity loss over time? I'm just curious.

Back